Lake Meredith 2016-whitetail

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lake Meredith 2016-whitetail

Has anybody had any luck killing whitetail bucks out there? So far I've seen mostly mule deer. Appreciate it fellas

Every year is different!

Comment

Flint is right! One year we didn't even see a whitetail and some years we see some. To answer your question we have never had the opportunity to kill a whitetail buck out there.

Comment

IMO the whitetail population has taken a big hit from three factors:

1. Extension a few years back from a 16 day season to a full season mirroring the rest of the state
        2. Allowing harvest of does
        3. The extended drought from the last few years

I've killed some nice whitetails there, but I have had nowhere near the sightings of them recently. From 2012 on, it's been pretty light.

FK helped me carry a couple out, so between the two of us, we can prove they were there at one point. Now may be a different story though.

Comment

Thanks guys!
          I'm trying to make it out this weekend, for the opening of mule deer, but my schedule might not let that happen. That's why I'm asking about whitetail because if this weekend doesn't happen, I'm planning a week trip for the middle of December which will only be whitetail.

Comment

I've hunted there for 30 years and would say there are definitely more mule deer than whitetails. I've killed both and it definitely depends on where your at. There seems to be more whitetails in the Rosita area back to Saddlehorse canyon and more mulies when you get into the big canyons. There's usually whitetails from in the river bottom too but it's so grown up this year, I'm not sure how you would hunt it.

I've been out but a few times in the last couple of months and have only seen 4 or 5 deer and they were all mule deer.

Comment

[QUOTE=fishanhunt;11918377]I've hunted there for 30 years and would say there are definitely more mule deer than whitetails. I've killed both and it definitely depends on where your at. There seems to be more whitetails in the Rosita area back to Saddlehorse canyon and more mulies when you get into the big canyons. There's usually whitetails from in the river bottom too but it's so grown up this year, I'm not sure how you would hunt it.

I've been out but a few times in the last couple of months and have only seen 4 or 5 deer and they were all mule deer.[/QUOTE

I'm hoping since it's going to be descent weather this weekend the deer will be up and moving. When does the rut start up there? Also since I'll be getting there Friday and mule season doesn't start till Saturday, would it be a good idea to go in the area you suggested for whitetail?

Comment

Originally posted by TxCreedXs View Post
                I'm hoping since it's going to be descent weather this weekend the deer will be up and moving. When does the rut start up there? Also since I'll be getting there Friday and mule season doesn't start till Saturday, would it be a good idea to go in the area you suggested for whitetail?
                The mule deer rut doesn't start until after the season is over. You can sometimes catch a little early/pre-rut activity the last few days of the season, but most of the rut activity doesn't happen until after the season.

Whitetail rut usually gets going during mule deer season in the Panhandle.

Comment

Originally posted by Shane View Post
                  The mule deer rut doesn't start until after the season is over. You can sometimes catch a little early/pre-rut activity the last few days of the season, but most of the rut activity doesn't happen until after the season.

Whitetail rut usually gets going during mule deer season in the Panhandle.
                  Good to know. I just picked up the Primos Rut Roar so maybe I'll have some luck bringing a buck in. Just trying to stay optimistic. I'll keep the green screen posted!

Comment

[quote=TxCreedXs;11919138]
                    Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                    I've hunted there for 30 years and would say there are definitely more mule deer than whitetails. I've killed both and it definitely depends on where your at. There seems to be more whitetails in the Rosita area back to Saddlehorse canyon and more mulies when you get into the big canyons. There's usually whitetails from in the river bottom too but it's so grown up this year, I'm not sure how you would hunt it.

I've been out but a few times in the last couple of months and have only seen 4 or 5 deer and they were all mule deer.[/QUOTE

The whitetail rut is usually around Thanksgiving. The younger deer are chasing a little now. Like Shane said, the mule deer rut is after the season ends but you might get some pretty rut activity.

I would definitely hunt Friday, you might see a whitetail and it will definitely help you just seeing how the place looks before Saturday.

I don't know if you've ever hunted Meredith on opening weekend of mule deer season but it will look like an interstate coming thru Saturday morning. Most are road hunters and will be gone by 9 or 10. I've seen lots of deer during the middle of the day after the traffic slows down.

People will walk thru where you're hunting. People will be up moving around at sun up. You'll see some crazy stuff probably. Mid week is usually a lot better.

I'm by no means an expert but if you want to pm where you're staying maybe I can give you some info.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Comment

This is my first time hunting Meredith. I figured there would be a lot of people but with good weather I'm planning on hunting all day. Hopefully people are respectful and walk a different direction if they see someone ocupying an area.

I just pm'd you.

Comment

I don't mean to jack the thread but a buddy and I will be there the last weekend of muley season lookin for muley's. If anybody knows where not to go would help a bunch.

Comment

Originally posted by cwbrown View Post
                          I don't mean to jack the thread but a buddy and I will be there the last weekend of muley season lookin for muley's. If anybody knows where not to go would help a bunch.
                          You're good. I can use that information for this weekend too

Comment

Originally posted by cwbrown View Post
                            It's hard to say but I'll tell you what little I know.

The Canadian river basically runs west to east but it takes a north turn right here so to me, you are either on the east or west side of the river. Hopefully that makes sense.

On the east side, Coetas Creek, Mullinaw Mcbrides and Alibates all have mule deer but I haven't had much luck with mulies at Alibates or Coetas, but they are there.

The west side of the river, Saddle Horse Canyon, Big Canyon, Aztec Canyon Devils canyon are all decent spots for mule deer but I've actually seen more whitetails in Saddle Horse. Farther north past Devil's there is Plum Creek. It has both whitetails and mule deer but in the creek itself is usually whitetails. Plum creek gets pretty crowded. North of there are Evans and Martins canyon. They have mostly mule deer but they're isn't any road access so they don't get much pressure.

Meredith is hard to hunt. I've been multiple hunts without seeing a thing. There's been many years that I didn't kill anything. Those deer usually don't get to live long. Get away from the roads and hunt all day.

I don't know if I helped you any. There is mule deer in pretty much every area of the lake. Look in the back of the canyons, especially in the mesquite flats during the day. Bring good glass, warm clothes and good boots.

Comment

Originally posted by fishanhunt View Post
                              It's hard to say but I'll tell you what little I know.

The Canadian river basically runs west to east but it takes a north turn right here so to me, you are either on the east or west side of the river. Hopefully that makes sense.

On the east side, Coetas Creek, Mullinaw Mcbrides and Alibates all have mule deer but I haven't had much luck with mulies at Alibates or Coetas, but they are there.

The west side of the river, Saddle Horse Canyon, Big Canyon, Aztec Canyon Devils canyon are all decent spots for mule deer but I've actually seen more whitetails in Saddle Horse. Farther north past Devil's there is Plum Creek. It has both whitetails and mule deer but in the creek itself is usually whitetails. Plum creek gets pretty crowded. North of there are Evans and Martins canyon. They have mostly mule deer but they're isn't any road access so they don't get much pressure.

Meredith is hard to hunt. I've been multiple hunts without seeing a thing. There's been many years that I didn't kill anything. Those deer usually don't get to live long. Get away from the roads and hunt all day.

I don't know if I helped you any. There is mule deer in pretty much every area of the lake. Look in the back of the canyons, especially in the mesquite flats during the day. Bring good glass, warm clothes and good boots.
                              It definitely was helpful. Thanks for all the help! I'll keep you guys posted.

Comment

Working...
                              X