Anyone raise worms for bait?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone raise worms for bait?

We bought a house recently and in the barn were these huge planter looking boxes. They are lined with concrete and we had no idea what they are. Talking to a neighbor, the previous owner had a commercial worm farm on the property. Those huge boxes are new beds he never used. The house we bought is on the river, so I thought I might set one up and raise my own fishing worms. I know nothing about it. Any info would be appreciated. Type of worm, tips etc.

There's a documentary film about a worm farm. 2 guys with a vision. Sadly in the midst of the planning they both got fired, their bird's head fell off and they traveled across country to return a briefcase full of cash. I recommend a van converted into a sheep dog for transport once the worm farm takes off.
    Last edited by Big Lee; 05-18-2020, 03:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
      There's a documentary film about a worm farm. 2 guys with a vision. Sadly in the midst of the planning they both got fired, their birds head fell off and they traveled across country to return a briefcase full of cash. I recommend a van converted into a sheep dog for transport once the worm farm takes off.
      Lol, ok then.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
        There's a documentary film about a worm farm. 2 guys with a vision. Sadly in the midst of the planning they both got fired, their birds head fell off and they traveled across country to return a briefcase full of cash. I recommend a van converted into a sheep dog for transport once the worm farm takes off.
        hahahahahahhahaha great movie!

Comment

Both of my grandads raised worms for fishing. I started a small bed this year. I got a Unvcle Jim’s worm starter of 250 worms but they come pretty scrawny for shipping. I supplemented those with worms from wal mart. It takes a while to get them going. Feed them corn meal and keep an eye open for fire ants.

Post some pics of those beds, please.

Comment

We had a customer years ago that raised them. Purina made a feed called Earthworm Chow. Not sure if it is still available.

The customer we had fed them Purina Layer Crumbles and he said they did good on that feed.

Comment

<

Comment

My grandpa had mealworm beds.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Comment

We had to sell our worm farm. And the RV...it's not my buddies. It's ours. Gas money gave out in Gurney. Coasted into town on fumes.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

Comment

I've got some (Mr. Jim's) Red Wigglers, on order right now...……
                    Went to a local bait shop, to buy some worms.....
                    They were $4.95 for a small cup...….
                    Convinced me......

Comment

Thanks guys, keep the info coming. I’m trying to post the pics but tapatalk isn’t letting me. I’ll keep trying

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Theses are the pics. Sorry if they are a little dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Daddypants View Post
                          Both of my grandads raised worms for fishing. I started a small bed this year. I got a Unvcle Jim’s worm starter of 250 worms but they come pretty scrawny for shipping. I supplemented those with worms from wal mart. It takes a while to get them going. Feed them corn meal and keep an eye open for fire ants.

Post some pics of those beds, please.
                          I was able to post the pics you requested. The boxes are from 1975

Comment

Originally posted by ttaxidermy View Post

Can you imagine being the first guy to ever do this in the history of mankind?

How many people do you think he had to explain it to before we got the second guy ever to do this in the history of mankind?

"Oh, here comes Jim to try to get us to go out in the swamp with him again to hump those sticks 'til they pee. Hurry, walk away before he gets here."

Comment

Working...
                            X