Reloading question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reloading question

So I’ve thought about reloading before but have made the commitment. I have a couple questions for the people that are currently reloading. I would be re-loading .223.
    1) are you saving money?
    2) how much do you have to spend to get a decent set up? Are the starter kits any good?
    3) how much has you accuracy improved?

4) is there any brand that stands out above others.

Thanks for the help,
    Shaun

Probably not saving money unless you like to shoot a LOT.
    $350 will probably get you in the game, the starter kits are okay, but you will add to them.
    Some calibers I reload I could only get good accuracy by reloading, factory ammo was not.
    I use RCBS, but Lee is cheaper, Redding is supposed to be better but I cannot prove it.

Comment

You're probably not going to save much money if you don't shoot a lot. Especially if you buy ammo when it is plentiful and cheap like it was 3 months ago.

Yes you can load more accurate rounds, especially if you like testing and recording data. I'm never going to be a benchrest shooter so if it will shoot sub MOA it is way good enough for me.

Factory ammo is really good these days.

However, in times like these, it is nice to have a reloading setup. I'm going to be needing some subsonic 9mm soon when my form 1 gets approved and I could not find any in stock anywhere. I was able to find all the components to load it, barely.

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Probably not saving money unless you like to shoot a LOT.
        $350 will probably get you in the game, the starter kits are okay, but you will add to them.
        Some calibers I reload I could only get good accuracy by reloading, factory ammo was not.
        I use RCBS, but Lee is cheaper, Redding is supposed to be better but I cannot prove it.

I think this is correct. I do not reload but my dad does for his rifles. He can load his rifle round to hit exactly how he wants which he can not get with factory ammo. Also, he fits the right lead, powder and all that stuff that works good with a specific gun. For him it is not about saving money as much as fine running his ammo to the gun. Plus he enjoys the challenge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

It depends on what you are loading for. On all of my Weatherby calibers and my sons Socom I can reload them a whole lot cheaper than what I can buy them for.

Comment

Hand loads will get you better accuracy if you know what you are doing. There’s a lot that goes into fine tuning a round, so a little know how is must.

Like others said, you won’t save any money unless you shoot a lot and/or have a cartridge that is expensive on the shelf.

The cheapest route to go would be everything Lee. If you aren’t trying to shoot a hair off a gnats ***, Lee will be plenty good. You will get sub MOA rounds out of their stuff if you do your part. Primers are cheap. Bullets, you can spend as much or little as you want. Cases are the same, however, the better cases you buy, the more loads you’ll get out of them, making up for the added cost later down the road. Most all powders will run you $30-$35/lb

I used to shoot more often, but not much anymore. I like the fact that I have loads worked up for all my guns and I don’t have to make a run to the store to get more if I’m running low. I have enough components to keep me shooting for a long time without having to buy anything else. That is worth it to me.
            Last edited by Sleepy; 04-25-2020, 08:37 AM.

Comment

During these days , meaning ammo shortages, I have no problem putting hard to find ammo on my shelf because I hand load.

RCBS makes a good starter kit and you can add to it over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I should have added this: I’m getting more and more into shooting cast bullets in big bore revolvers. These are loads you just about have to load yourself, you won’t find them on store shelves. You mentioned .223, but I shoot so very little of that I can’t see chasing empties in the field to reload them. My main ARs are chambered in 6.8 SPC and I don’t even load for them. Federal Fusion shoots great in both my 6.8s and I don’t shoot enough to chase those empties either.

You might want to google up some info about the basics of reloading before you jump off into it just for .223

Comment

Component prices have skyrocketed the past few years. Much of it because the last lead smelter in the USA has been closed down. For .223, unless you shoot a lot and I mean thousands of rounds a year you can buy bulk .223 and 5.56 about as cheap as you can reload if only shooting a few hundred rounds a year.
                  I have an auto progressive reloader and a good stockpile of brass and .22 bullet components so I still reload. Once my stockpile is gone I will most likely buy bulk ammo. My AR is 5.56 NATO so I will be looking at cans of Nato ammo for shooting paper. Bulk ammo is going to run you about .40 to .45 cents per round retail if you shop around. You may find some surplus military ammo at gun shows a little cheaper. Don't let this discourage you from reloading. It's a lot of fun rolling your own.

One thing to consider is some shooting ranges don't allow FMJ
                  Last edited by muzzlebrake; 04-25-2020, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I've reloaded all manner of rifle and pistol ammo. I even cast my own for a while as well as powder coated. I only reloaded those that I shot a lot... You won't save money unless you shoot 1000s of rounds and even then, it'll be hard to get to break even. There were a few calibers that I shot a good bit that were 3+ bucks a round and reloading those for 1/4 the cost made sense. For 9MM, .223. etc. Not so much...

IF you are going to do this, do it right the FIRST time. Get a decent progressive so that when you get all set up and ready to roll you can crank out a BUNCH of ammo in one sitting. I had a Dillon.

In the end I gave it all up. I just buy ammo when I find it on sale and try to keep 1K+ in any of my common calibers like .223, 9MM, .45ACP, etc. and 200-300 for the hunting rifles. I replace what I shoot and rotate older stocks.

If an ammo shortage comes again (we're not in one now, lol), I'll curtail my shooting for enjoyment until things settle. If the NEVER settle, there are obviously much bigger issues at hand...

Comment

I have been a reloader since 1972. I still use the Rockchucker press I bought back then. I have never had an ammo shortage. I load, I cast bullets, and I have a supply of powder and primers that should last longer than I do. It is a worry reliever knowing that I am not at the mercy of retailer whims and the panic buying public to be able to hunt and shoot as I please. If you shoot and reload, teach someone. Pass it along so it doesn't die when we do.

Comment

Originally posted by Olmandan View Post
                        I have been a reloader since 1972. I still use the Rockchucker press I bought back then. I have never had an ammo shortage. I load, I cast bullets, and I have a supply of powder and primers that should last longer than I do. It is a worry reliever knowing that I am not at the mercy of retailer whims and the panic buying public to be able to hunt and shoot as I please. If you shoot and reload, teach someone. Pass it along so it doesn't die when we do.

This is one of the best reasons to get into reloading. As has been mentioned multiple times, if you are doing it for
                        cost savings you will be disappointed.

There is definitely value to being able to tailor your ammo to your specifications and load any time you want to stock up.

There’s lots of good components and you can spend a little or a lot depending on your goals. If you are going to do it as a casual hobby Lee makes decent equipment and will produce decent enough ammo.

From there it really depends on how much you are willing to invest and again what your end goals are.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I don’t load FMJ/ plinking rounds for anything but when I load 223 it’s either long range load specific to each rifle or it’s a higher performance Hunting round to my specifications.

I have some cheaper guns and some higher end stuff by hand loading I’ve gotten them all to shoot well under 1moa.

I started with and still load off a rcbs rock chucker kit but have added some extra tools.

Comment

There is no financial ROI in reloading unless you shoot a lot. As mentioned above there can be quality advantages, the ability to tailor loads and a relatively quiet hobby that produces something tangible at the end of the session.

It depends what you want out of it.

Comment

Well it looks like I need to rethink the idea of reloading. I will be going to the range a couple times a month. I’ll be reloading for a AR that is chambered in 223 Wylde. My thought process is I could be more accurate for longer shots. And perhaps save some money from having to purchase match grade ammo to do so. It doesn’t sound like much is saved in the coast by reloading. It would be cool shooting and making my own loads. But if I’m not going to be saving very much, it doesn’t seem like a good investment. I’ll have to think this one over. Thank you very much for all the replies!

Comment

Working...
                              X