Shooting trad gear with thick/puffy coats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shooting trad gear with thick/puffy coats

Since it doesn't get crazy cold here very often, I haven't practiced or shot much when it was really cold and warranted lots of layers. In saying that, over the last few seasons when the weather HAS gotten cold during hunting season causing me to dress like the Michelin Man, I have figured out my shooting capabilities goes straight down the pot in a hurry. Due to that, I've resorted to picking up the wheel bow knowing it's not effected by clothing changes nor is my confidence in killing whatever I'm shooting at.
    I've tried a couple different layering setups to address the puffiness in the arm areas thinking this was where my main issues lied, but it didn't seem to help a lot. Anyone else have these same issues or any tricks to keeping warm in sub 32degree weather without losing range of motion due to having 15 layers on?

Heated vest? Or try the therma care heated back wraps from the pharmacy that "old guys" use? (https://www.cvs.com/shop/thermacare-...prodid-1040152)

I know what you are talking about with clothing being a nuisance for traditional archery, because I had a camo facemask on (warm one not for COVID!) and it messed with my anchor point on my mouth.
    Just threw my whole game off...It annoyed me so much that I took it off and just painted my face like all the youtube bowhunting stars do.

Comment

Better clothes are the answer. I sat in 19* yesterday morning and only my toes were any issue at all and they were manageable.
      Sitka Fanatic gear was a game changer for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Honestly you want to stay toasty
        Go get you a thinskin quicksilver 2mm neoprene surfing top. It's super stretchy and talk about warm. That with a thin camo long sleeve shirt and you are set

Comment

It's a combination of factors:
          1. practice in the heavy gear (been doing this a lot the last few days)
          2. better form will help your string clearance (see #1 above. I have a tendency to lean back at full draw and the string gets too tight to my armpit)
          3. better clothes will make things less puffy
          4. Hunt ducks until it warms up?

Comment

I am with Gary on this one: better clothes make for a more enjoyable hunt in cold weather.
            A couple of layers of good merino tops under a windproof shell do wonders. You could also look at XGO's Phase 4 tops and bottoms. More affordable than Kuiu or FirstLite and decent quality (most are also US made and some have a Fire Retardant option if it's a concern).

Comment

I typically wear light layers with a wool vest to cut down on the arm bulk. Better quality clothes is also necessary.

Comment

Easy, Little Buddy Heater! LoL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I wear long Johns, and then put the stick on body warmers (2 on back by my kidneys and 2 in front in my chest)on the outside of the long Johns. Then a couple of dirt lite wool vests and a wool shirt on top of that. This leaves me with only the long johns and the shirt in my arms.

If it’s really cold, I use my Sitka Fanatic Lite jacket.

I always wear an armguard when hunting.

I have been seriously looking at the heated vests, and will most likely get one pretty soon.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

With bulky clothing I pull on a compression sleeve similar to this:
                    Awesome sleeve that slides over your shooting hand up to the arm to compress your garment down & reduce the size of even the bulkiest of garments. Close fit will

The one I have is from Cabelas but I don’t see that they still carry them. Ive also used a knee-high sock with the toe cut out.

Comment

With my heavy jacket I just tighten down my arm guard, seems to work fine inside of 20 yards. A definitely prefer my slimmer Kuiu jacket if its not freezing out though and am adjusting my layering system to go colder with that set up.

Comment

Good advice is hard to follow, but I'll give my experience from having hunted trad exactly one time in the cold and been in the cold at youth soccer games a billion times:
                        - Get the best/warmest base layer. Don't go cheap.
                        - Insulated, fleece, or wool pants. Wear gators to stop heat leak at the ankles.
                        - Insulated boots. Cold feet suck.
                        - Your head looses a ton of body heat. Find what works for your anchor, but find it. A beanie works for me as does a balaclava that fits nice and snug and covers the neck.
                        - For the upper body, laying from inside out: long sleeve thermal or T-shirt, flannel shirt, heated vest, pulloever wind stopper fleece top. If you want the heated vest closer to the body, you'll need a size up shirt to go over it instead of under it, but that heat closer to your carcass and the shirt over it helps hold the heat in.

Practice in your clothes to make sure it all works and is silent. Did that before my recent London Oaks trip and it paid huge dividends. My original planned attire was far too bulky.

Hope it helps.
                        Last edited by SJP51; 01-15-2021, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Caddo View Post
                          Easy, Little Buddy Heater! LoL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                          Yep. If you're in a box blind the heater is great! I've had deer and other criterrs inside 10-yards that never smelled or heard it.

Comment

Resight for a short draw.

Rat helped me improve my compound grip. It rotated my forearm outwards which I transferred the new grip form to my longbow which has helped me with accuracy and cold weather jacket clearance.

Comment

Get out an shoot now while it is cold,i try an shoot now, as much as i can,where you can try out different clothes,figure out what you can shoot in. I'd rather miss a target now,than miss a animal during the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X