Restaining cabinets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restaining cabinets

I need some tips on refinishing my cabinets. Just bought the house, so replacing them or paying someone is gonna be out of the question. I have stained some stuff here and there, but nothing like that. I don't doubt that I can do it, just looking for pointers and stuff.

Good stain and sealant, gel stain or whatever you have experience with.

Sounds like a lot of work. Probably be better of just painting. Other wise you’ll be sanding your fingers to the bone.

Comment

If there in not to bad of shape finish wise gel stain is the way to go. Really easy to do and turns out great looking. If your existing varnish is not good it can be a little more difficult.

Comment

Have any pics? How detailed are the doors?

What color do you want them? Minwax has a million colors.

Basic steps are strip, sand, preconditioner, stain, poly or lacquer. Is is very difficult to touch stain up so you really have to be committed to refinishing them. Redo the doors in your garage. Paint would be a quicker alternative.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

once you sand to bare wood, the rest is easy. Depending on cabinet design, sanding can be anywhere from difficult to impossible. As mentioned painting is the way to go, but some (like me) hate the look of painted cabinets....

Comment

I don't have a problem with painted cabinets, but the wife wants them stained. I'm not 100% sure they were ever finished. I've never messed with the gel stain. I have a buddy that does a bit of woodwork and I am gonna get him to come take a look. The cabinets aren't very intricate and there aren't a whole lot of them.

Comment

You can lightly sand them and spray them with a stain/finish to get an even finish.
              Otherwise replace or paint

Comment

I would try using Kotton Klensar with 0000 steel wool on the inside
                of a door then see how it took the stain . I like the oil based stain you
                wipe on with a rag

Comment

Originally posted by krisw View Post
                  I don't have a problem with painted cabinets, but the wife wants them stained. I'm not 100% sure they were ever finished. I've never messed with the gel stain. I have a buddy that does a bit of woodwork and I am gonna get him to come take a look. The cabinets aren't very intricate and there aren't a whole lot of them.

IMO, if you’re wanting a stain look, look into refacing your cabinets, and then get new doors and drawer faces. Will be slightly more cost than sanding and staining, but a lot less headache.

Comment

Originally posted by TallTexan View Post
                    IMO, if you’re wanting a stain look, look into refacing your cabinets, and then get new doors and drawer faces. Will be slightly more cost than sanding and staining, but a lot less headache.
                    This is the easiest. Second option for diy would be using gel stain.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Comment

What are they made of? Some hardwoods will require a dye, as stain is useless, the pores are so tight.
                      I would use some 150 grit, wipe em down with a damp cloth to raise the grain, then stain, sand, and shoot the clear.
                      I built ours out of hard rock maple and it's was quite the learning experience.

Comment

Working...
                      X