No announcement yet.

1966 Ford F100 project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Productive weekend! We made some good progress on the inside this weekend. We put the sound dampening material and new carpet in and we put the newly covered seat in as well. We fixed the fuel gage and connected the new gas filler tube. We still have a few things to get wrapped up inside but it’s getting closer.
    We will finish putting the trim back on and getting the bed bolted back in place this week. We are currently waiting on the bed floor to arrive and I will be ordering the seatbelts and door mirrors this week.
    Thanks everyone for following along.
    Attached Files

Comment

Cool project dad.

He will appetite it more knowing he helped with the work.

Comment

Great job. I’ll be following. I have a 64 I need to start working on someday-lol

Comment

Looking good. Question. Instead of clear coat why did you not match the existing paint and repaint the truck?

Hurry up with more pics!

Comment

Originally posted by Tx_Wader View Post
            Looking good. Question. Instead of clear coat why did you not match the existing paint and repaint the truck?

Hurry up with more pics!
            The biggest reason I decided to just clear over it was mainly because of cost. I was worried that if I tried to rattle can paint it to match the color it would come out looking worse than just letting it show it’s age and it lets us put our money towards other things that he wanted to change or fix more. I also have to be realistic about the fact that it’s going to have to make it through the first years of him driving and high school. if it survives those days without catastrophic failure then we may decide to take it further.

We are hoping the bed floor is here this weekend or next week and we just placed another order with LMC. We found out our gas tank had a pin hole in it about half way up the tank, yes we found out the hard way. His new door mirrors should be in with this order as well. If we receive either order by the weekend we will get some more pics of the progress.

Thanks for following along.

Comment

Lucky kid, you keeping the old brakes and steering in it?

Comment

Awesome thread! Would love to do this with my girls!

Comment

Originally posted by bowaddict40 View Post
                  This truck would look great with the old paint some new wheels and dropped. Any plan on lowering it?
                  Please please don't lower it....

Comment

Originally posted by TBrandum View Post
                    No parts came in before the weekend. This will give us the time to clean up the corner of the shop we have been working out of and do some of the little things to get ready for our parts delivery.
                    We are expecting the new Carpet, stuff to rebuild the seat and reupholster it. We are also waiting for a lot of little things we need to put all the trim back and new lens for the turn signals and break lights.
                    We have decided on a color and I ordered the replacement bed floor today. It will take about 3 weeks, I will be anxiously awaiting this delivery! He wanted the dark Montana.
                    Thanks everyone for following along.
                    Just FYI, that Montana dark is quarter sawn in that photo, meaning those cool ripples probably won't be there. Quarter sawn is generally quite a bit more expensive wood. I would ask to clarify from the vendor before ordering.

EDIT: Just saw that post was old, I hope the wood shows up quarter sawn!

Truck looks awesome by the way, I love the aged look.
                    Last edited by WItoTX; 04-24-2019, 04:09 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Originally posted by JohnnyC View Post
                      Lucky kid, you keeping the old brakes and steering in it?
                      We are wanting to change the front breaks to disc and he is saving now for the power steering. He may start driving it with the originals and make those weekend projects?

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                        If it was for me it would have a lowered suspension but for now we are going to keep it where it’s at.

Comment

Originally posted by Graysonhogs View Post
                          I do not care for the lowered look on old pickups either, or low profiles with them great big rims. Might be an age thing

Comment

I don't know what your plans are for the front disc brakes but early 70's f100 power disc brake parts fit the '66 twin i-beam. I had access to junkyard parts back in the day so it was a cheap/easy conversion.

Swap out spindles, calipers, rotors, proportion valve, master cylinder, brake booster and brake lines.

Power steering also can be added with minor modification to the left side motor mounts (assuming they are still original). Gear box, pump, brackets and hoses off an early 70's f100.

Comment

Following along. Brings back fond memories of doing a restore on my sons 79F250 several years back on here. Enjoy yourselves. It makes for great memories you’ll cherish forever

Comment

Originally posted by all3lemmons View Post
                                I don't know what your plans are for the front disc brakes but early 70's f100 power disc brake parts fit the '66 twin i-beam. I had access to junkyard parts back in the day so it was a cheap/easy conversion.

Swap out spindles, calipers, rotors, proportion valve, master cylinder, brake booster and brake lines.

Power steering also can be added with minor modification to the left side motor mounts (assuming they are still original). Gear box, pump, brackets and hoses off an early 70's f100.
                                Thanks for the info. We were planning to buy a kit for the breaks and power steering but I will have to look into this.

Comment

Working...
                                X