X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glad I don't hunt with some of yall who shoot anything with horns and walks

Comment

Originally posted by gingib View Post
      Glad I don't hunt with some of yall who shoot anything with horns and walks
      me too

Comment

Originally posted by BowSlayer View Post
        I was on the book of faces and ran across a picture of a young lady with a deer. She was showing off her first buck. As I read the comments it ticked me off. One after another after another telling her she should have let that deer live for 2 or 3 more years and how she is the problem with hunting. It made me sick to my stomach that this is where we are with hunting now. She killed a LEGAL buck and is catching nothing but grief for it. People that have never met her and have no idea where she hunts jumping in on the dog pile. Stop it people! This younger generation obviously has no idea what the hunting tradition should be. It dang sure shouldn't be ridiculing anyone that killed a legal deer. It happens every single day right here on this forum. Someone posts a picture of a deer they are hunting and here comes the dog-pile telling him he NEEDS to let him walk a few more years. It's deer hunting people. Follow the laws, grow up, and mind your own business and it would be much more pleasant.

I think part of the problem is that once-upon-a-time white tailed deer were scarce in this country. 100 years ago they were hunted to the brink of extinction and up until the 1930s they were almost non-existent. It wasn't until hunting regulations and management programs came into play that their numbers started to recover and even my older family members tell me that back in the 60s and 70s just killing a buck was quite an accomplishment and age never came into consideration.

Now, there are an estimated 3.6 MILLION deer just in Texas alone so people are now afforded the luxury of being "choosier" about the deer taken...and as a consequence have adopted the "let em grow" attitude because...well...we can. This "younger generation" is growing up with a different tradition...and that is the management of a herd that numbers in the millions.
        Last edited by JonBoy; 11-09-2018, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Aren't we glad it's not called "Texas Mature Bucks" Forum...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
            Welcome to TBH....

Rule #1 of TBH- Harvests are for fruits, vegetables and cotton...

We kill, shoot, whack, smack, stack, thwaaack, smoke, thump, zip and let the air out of animals [emoji41]
            and weve been known to "drill one!"

welcome to the site!

Comment

Each circumstance is different. But there is no way I'd ridicule a child for shooting a legal deer of any size.

Comment

Originally posted by rladner View Post
                me too
                I see what you did there!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Each circumstance is different. But there is no way I'd ridicule a child for shooting a legal deer of any size.

Why would you ridicule an adult?

If he followed lease rules, and the law then there's no issue

Comment

Trophy Spouse

Originally posted by RockinHB View Post
                    Hi everyone,
                    This is my first post, and the reason I chose to join this forum is just what this post is about. The members here defend people for their choices about harvest and generally only throw out “ he needed another year” in good natured jest. How many of us had our 1st deer be a fully mature cull or trophy? A trophy animal much like a trophy spouse is in the eye of the beholder. Please keep it real and keep the support for our favorite pastime. GOD bless y’all.

Henry
                    Welcome RockinHB.
                    Did you say Trophy Spouse???

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                      Why would you ridicule an adult?

If he followed lease rules, and the law then there's no issue
                      Read first sentence.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Comment

My overall level of happiness increased the day I deleted Facebook

Now if I could just stop reading the news

Comment

I seen this on FB and I agree with it.

We're all guilty of it. We see a hunter with mismatched camo with an old single-shot 12-gauge. And he's sporting his deer he just harvested on the back of his old truck. It's a doe or more than likely a smaller buck. But he's happy, and grinning from ear-to-ear like he just killed the new world record! So you laugh and joke with your buddies as he goes by. While leaning against your brand new truck, in your name brand matching camo. But have you ever stopped to think that maybe the deer on the back of his truck means a lot more to him than just big antlers.... maybe he's a third shift blue collar worker at the local steel mill, just trying to pay his bills and keep gas in his old truck. Maybe he don't have the fancy game cameras and big food plots that you have. Or the big fancy hunting blinds, that cost more than his old truck. Maybe he's happy because he finally didn't have to work this weekend. So he decided to go hunting on the little piece of land that he's hunted since he was a boy, with the gun that his dad gave him when he turned 12 years old. More than likely he's not hunting to kill the next World Record. He could care less about the antlers. But what he does care about is putting food on the table for his family at home, and knowing that they're going to eat good for now. And that my friends will put a smile on any true sportsmans face. So good luck to all the hunters out there with the rest of your season. Just remember this, support each other and be happy for each other, no matter how big their harvest is, because to some folks it means a lot more then the size of the antlers.

Original author

Joey Bruce
                          Owner / President of
                          SAD DADDY HUNTING BLINDS.

Comment

Good post. I hunt on private property that is too small to really manage & hunting pressure around us usually gets legal bucks killed. Our place is hard to hunt as it is 95% wooded& 1/2 of it is thick creek bottom land that you can’t crawl through. I also don’t get to hunt often as little as 5-10 sits per season. I love deer meat so I’m just as happy to take an ole slick head. I really just enjoy sitting out in the peaceful woods whether I kill anything or not

Comment

For a certain contingent, hunting has become nothing more than a cool image that requires you have the fanciest gear and shoot the biggest horns. I'll argue it's a small contingent, but it's also the most vocal and annoying IMO. They'll be the first to tell you one's too young but ridicule a high fence place and they lose their minds. If someone wants to shoot a 1.5 year old deer and it's legal, do it. If someone gets their rocks off shooting a bottle fed 300 class buck, do it. If more people would mind their own business, the world would be a lot better off.
                              Last edited by jdg13; 11-09-2018, 11:22 AM.

Comment

Well maybe if she would have just given it another year like she was supposed to she wouldn’t have caught said grief

Comment

Working...
                                X