Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Never too old to experience something new in the woods.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Never too old to experience something new in the woods.

Maybe some of y’all have experienced this but it was a first for me.
    So I’m sitting in my tripod. It’s pretty much out in the open with just some trees behind me so I’m wearing a gillie suit to help break up my outline.
    I’m 25 yards from my feeder. I’ve already had a couple of does come in and spooked so when a couple of young bucks came in I figured they’ll probably spook also.
    There’s a small four point and a good sized six point. Both are calm and have looked my way but weren’t bothered by my presence. Then I start feeling a slight tickle up in my sinuses. I start doing every trick I know to suppress a sneeze but it doesn’t work. I tried to muffle it as best I could but it’s like shooting a suppressed rifle with full powered ammo. Yeah it’s a little quieter but you’re still breaking the sound barrier. I looked up expecting both bucks to be gone but nope, they just looked at me and went back to eating. Well that totally surprised me. Now if I sneeze once there’s a good chance that there’s ten to thirty more right behind the first. I ended up sneezing about ten times and those bucks never spooked. In fact, after the first sneeze they just kinda ignored me. Crazy!
    After the final sneeze the little four point walked over my way, as though he was looking for the source of that noise. He walked right under my stand and then circled around it and then just walked away. The six point ate a few minutes more and then just moseyed off.
    Definitely something new for me.

Many times I have experienced the same thing. Most of the time from 10 yards or less. They might flinch but very rarely run off. Deer sneeze all the time so I guess they just figure it’s one of the other deer. Like you if I sneeze once I’m sneezing 10 times. I muffle it best I can and even blow my nose from time to time and really never any issue

Comment

Interesting.

Comment

That’s crazy!

Comment

So why set up in the open?

Comment

Deer sneeze sounds very similar to a human sneeze.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post

Increases the challenge I guess

Comment

Yessir. I never get tired of that. Last week I was in my tower and had four bobcats come out in the right of way. The first three appeared to be momma and two young ones. The plopped down and sat for a while. Less than a minute later later a tom walked out. I’m assuming this cause he was steadily marking his territory.
                He walked up to the group and they got up and walked into the brush. He stood there rejected them made a hard right and walked directly to my blind. Turned off about forty feet away. Beautiful animals. Thank God you were able to enjoy the outdoors.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                  I thought the trees behind me would help break up my image but it didn’t work. I moved it that day to a better location.
                  I have discovered that tripods can be difficult to place where they get much cover.
                  Last edited by Geezy Rider; 11-24-2022, 06:17 AM.

Comment

That’s crazy but an awesome experience at the same time OP. Being in the outdoors is awesome!

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
                      Yessir. I never get tired of that. Last week I was in my tower and had four bobcats come out in the right of way. The first three appeared to be momma and two young ones. The plopped down and sat for a while. Less than a minute later later a tom walked out. I’m assuming this cause he was steadily marking his territory.
                      He walked up to the group and they got up and walked into the brush. He stood there rejected them made a hard right and walked directly to my blind. Turned off about forty feet away. Beautiful animals. Thank God you were able to enjoy the outdoors.
                      That’s pretty cool.

Comment

I had a similar experience getting to suppress a cough a couple of weekends ago. Kinda crazy, some of things that do and don’t bother deer.

Comment

I think that if the animal has not smelled or seen a threat that random sounds don't bother them as much as we think.
                          Human voices I think bother them

Comment

What kind of deer are you hunting?

Comment

Lol

Comment

Working...
                              X