Cleaning fish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning fish

I have been watching a you tube channel on a guy that fishes in the Galveston area. Lately I have been noticing that he guts and pull the gills out of the fish while still on the water.

I did not think it was legal to do that as I would think you would not be able to get a good measurement of the fish if checked.

Just curious what others think?

I think you can bleed them on the water. I do not know about gutting them?

Comment

I just looked through the annual, it says that fish can't be filleted on the water, and you can't take their heads off, but it doesn't say anything about gutting. Learned something

It makes sense to me that if you were on a long trip, it's legal to get the guts out so you could pack the cavity with ice. I think I've seen that on wicked tuna, for example.
      Last edited by Wile E.; 11-14-2022, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Gutting and removing the gills does not change the length of a fish. Perfectly legal.

Comment

Spearfishing habit... I gut, gill, and tail bleed before stuffing into the box. Never even occurred to me it may not be legal. Oops.

Comment

First time I heard of tail cutting was this year. I am much more of hunter than a fisherman. I am convinced it works!

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
              Gutting and removing the gills does not change the length of a fish. Perfectly legal.
              Probably correct, but I have seen the game wardens twist/turn/pinch at times.
              we measured a redfish 27 3/4 one time and got stopped. They messed with it so much and came out with 28 1/8.
              Luckily gave us a warning but if throat is cut i would think it would flex more depending how the head is.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenner97 View Post
                Probably correct, but I have seen the game wardens twist/turn/pinch at times.
                we measured a redfish 27 3/4 one time and got stopped. They messed with it so much and came out with 28 1/8.
                Luckily gave us a warning but if throat is cut i would think it would flex more depending how the head is.
                Make sure you and they (green pants) are measuring the fish the correct way.
                Not all fish are measured the same way. It varies by species.

Totally legal to gut.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                  If you break the neck it does

Comment

Working...
                  X