Unit 36 Elk Hunt Recap - New Mexico

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unit 36 Elk Hunt Recap - New Mexico

Just got back from my Unit 36 elk hunt, had a great time.

This was my first public land, backpack style hunt and while it kicked my a**, looking back it was very rewarding and a fun way to hunt.

We were into elk everyday, seeing 15 bulls roughly everyday and tons of cows. We saw several mature bulls bugling in the mornings, chasing cows and even fighting a little bit. Very cool to watch these awesome beasts do their thing in the wilderness.

I shot my bull in the fading light across a small canyon at 691 yards. The 230gr berger otm going 2,939 fps out of my 300 RUM hit him high shoulder and dropped him in his tracks - was able to watch him fall in the scope. Very happy with my setup and how it performed when it mattered.

My first reaction was shock as to how big these animals are when you walk up on them. Everything about them is super sized. I was very happy that I was carrying a big 30 cal, as I had to anchor him close to where he stood, in order to keep him from going down into the canyon in front of him or the steeper one behind him - where he came out of.

We caped him out, quartered him up and marked him in our OnX maps to retrieve the next morning, as a huge thunderstorm and lighting was coming in from the West fast. The next morning had us back in that canyon at first light, but rain, sleet and dense fog made it a very intense and long pack out.

We got back to camp by 1pm and my buddy was also able to tag out on a nice bull for this area that day as well.

He was shooting a 300prc with factory ELDx ammo and shot his bull at roughly the same yardage as mine. This area is steep canyons along with wide open glassing and dead falls from fires.

I definitely have more respect for people who hunt this way in the wilderness, on foot, packing out everything on their backs - it was definitely an eye opener for me. I also am amazed at how fast these giant elk can move around in the mountains as well.

Good luck to everyone this fall in the woods and thanks for following along!
    Attached Files

Congrats!

Comment

You drew a Unit 36 bull tag for your first public land backpack hunt?! Whatever you're doing in life, keep doing it lol. That's like a 2% or less draw for a non-resident.

Congrats on an awesome trip and two really nice bulls!

Comment

That's awesome!! Getting to them and shooting them is the easy part, getting them out is where the work starts!!! Congrats!

Comment

Huge congrats to you guys.

I was there last year but a little north of you and had a blast leaving with the same feelings.

It's in my blood and hope to do it a few more times while I'm able.

Comment

Congrats and nice work!

Comment

Excellent work!

Comment

THat is a great story and beautiful bulls fellas.

Comment

Congrats to both of you !

Comment

Congrats on a great hunt and a great shot! Sounds like an incredible hunt!

Comment

Wow. Heck of a hunt. Bucket list for me. Congratulations to both of you.

Comment

Nice...Congrats!!!

Comment

Curious, did you need do anything to try and prevent the scavengers from eating on your meat?

Comment

Congrats! Grew up hunting 34 and 36, beautiful up there!

Comment

l've killed two bulls in unit 36 in the white mountain wilderness area. I had to purchase landowner tags to hunt there. If you and a buddy drew a tag you guys are very fortunate.

Comment

Working...
                              X