She shoulda followed the others

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

She shoulda followed the others

I hunted this morning in Alvord. I was in the stand by 0630. Right away I could here something crunching corn but I could tell it was on the backside of the feeder in my blind spot. Oh well, sit back and wait for daylight.
    I have my stand set up so I can only see part of my feeder and pen with a group of trees between me and it. When I hunt, I hand corn the back trails leading to it and I have 3 lanes, one to each trail.
    As first light appeared I could see there were three deer, two does and a half grown fawn. Both adult does were very young. I decided to wait for something older.
    I have a group of six adult does that frequent this feeder and none have fawns. So wait I did.
    After about 45 min of watching these three, suddenly they became very alert to something to the west. The momma doe suddenly charges toward whatever it is and sure enough it's the six doe group. The momma tries to chase them all off one at a time but she's overwhelmed and finally gives up. The original three leave and the new six begin to feed on what's left of the corn. I pick out what appears to be the oldest and wait for an opportunity.
    After about 10 min she comes down the trail straight in front of me. As she's clearing the trees to my left I draw. She's dead in my sights at 20 yds. I'm just waiting for that front leg to move forward and clear the path to her vitals. As I wait, suddenly they all spook and run into the woods. I let down and sit in disappointment wondering what spooked them. I'm hoping it's the big boar that's been raiding this feeder. I wait.
    I see movement to my right about 40 yards thru the woods. It's the does making their way back downwind of the pen. I'm hoping they're coming back in. They're not. They walk single file down a back trail That leads to the north and off our property...except one. She decides to take a fork in the trail that brings her 20 yards to my right into one of my lanes. I draw. She looks toward the feeder, wanting to go back to the corn but her fear says no and she turns back toward the north which puts her broadside, with a very slight angle toward me. I settle the pin and launch. Perfect entrance right in the crease with her leg just forward. She runs north and out of sight. I don't hear a crash but from where sit I can see blood at the site of the shot. I know she didn't go far.
    I text my buddy who's hunting the other side of the lease and he says he'll head my way in a few. I take my time packing up and then climb down. I walk over to where I shot her and there's really good blood. I follow it. About 15 yds and behind the next group of trees she lays.
    What a great hunt. I didn't get the old matriarch I was after but this one was old enough!
    I took her to clear fork in Graham and since I was out that way, I decided to go to Palo Pinto and hunt the evening.
    Wish me luck!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Do I dare shoot another?

Comment

I think I'll wait. There's a big boar that dominates this feeder too and I'd really like to take him out. Hoping he shows before dark. He usually does.

Comment

If you want the meat!

Comment

shoot the boar. does are easy to come by

nice job on the first one

Comment

They just spooked and ran off. Hope it's the pig. Coulda been coyotes, they're howling pretty close by. I'll smoke one of them too!

Comment

The boar was a no show. Leaving empty handed. Still fun tho!

Comment

Awesome job

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Not a bad day in the woods !!!!

Comment

Success !! Congrats

Comment

Great shot on that deer! That broadhead did some serious damage.

Comment

Good stuff right there! Congrats on the hatchet through the doe.

Comment

Just wasn't her day to walk away I guess

Comment

Congrats! Thanks for sharing

Comment

Working...
                              X