No announcement yet.

Laguna Atascosa NWR 2022-23

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brief video of the brutal conditions out at Laguna yesterday.

Comment

holy smokes...

Comment

Tough hunt

When should I expect the video for my hunt orientation? Dec 15-20

Also what’s the rules on hauling out hide etc

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
          Tough hunt

No video, just detailed instructions. Give them a call to see when they will send it out.

Comment

Congratulations on some hard earned trophies [mention]aggiebowhunter [/mention] & [mention]Jmac [/mention] especially in tough conditions. Laguna is never easy, way to stick it.[emoji1666][emoji2936]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

What I am curious to know is where all the guys who got sick or food poisoning from?

It seems like every year a few hunters get sick from food poisoning of some sort while down there on the hunt. I’m wondering if it’s a specific place, or just because guys are eating left over tacos that have sat on a dash board a day too long.

Comment

Anyone else get pulled over by George Garcia, visitor service manager at the refuge?? He pulled us over on the county road Friday morning on our way in to check our paperwork and was pretty snippy about the whole thing. I had apparently printed out the permit page that you're supposed to sign from the email from TPWD instead of the one he sent and I told him it was the one I received via email. His response was, "I sent that email and I know what I sent. It wasn't this one." Pretty sure he doesn't have authority to be pulling people over on the county road either, he's definitely not LE.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                  What I am curious to know is where all the guys who got sick or food poisoning from?

It seems like every year a few hunters get sick from food poisoning of some sort while down there on the hunt. I’m wondering if it’s a specific place, or just because guys are eating left over tacos that have sat on a dash board a day too long.

Pretty sure mine was from the McDonald's in Los Fresnos. I stopped there after scouting on Thursday. Was sick all night Friday night.

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post
                    Anyone else get pulled over by George Garcia, visitor service manager at the refuge?? He pulled us over on the county road Friday morning on our way in to check our paperwork and was pretty snippy about the whole thing. I had apparently printed out the permit page that you're supposed to sign from the email from TPWD instead of the one he sent and I told him it was the one I received via email. His response was, "I sent that email and I know what I sent. It wasn't this one." Pretty sure he doesn't have authority to be pulling people over on the county road either, he's definitely not LE.

My first impression of the place is that hunters are a nuisance to them. I went by Friday evening after hunting to check the harvest board. The biologist said they were told not to do that anymore, wasn't their job. Also, with the interior roads being closed it's pretty crappie the hard line stance George takes on "we are not here to help you". It could be a lot better with a little effort on their part. I spent quite a bit of money in gas, food, lodging and gear to make this hunt happen. Least they could do is be a little more accommodating. Just my 2 cents

Comment

Originally posted by JackRyan View Post

He didn't pull me over but was at the gate on Friday morning and asked to see my paperwork and I had a similar experience on printing the wrong one out. He told me I was supposed to print the one in his email not the one from TPWD.

Comment

On the 11/11-11/15 hunt I was first in line at the gate on scouting day and I had no issues. He was running late, but I had all the correct paperwork signed and vehicle pass displayed.

Comment

He did that to us last year on scouting day. He was nice and polite...even brought a box of donuts/kolachies for folks. Showed papers and was good to go.

Comment

I printer the wrong page to sign too. Seems to me they should realize this and do it different next time. No problem with letting me by however.

Comment

All of you guys from up north who were hunting this past weekend, you left your weather here. Please come back and get it.

Comment

Originally posted by TXOUTLAW View Post
                                Tough hunt

My hunt is for Dec 2-4th and I just received the emails today.

Comment

Working...
                                X