School me on Tents!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
    In my years of experience, I have found that about 50 square feet per grown person works well. This allows each person room for a cot or up to a full/twinn air mattress, clothing, pack, and bow/gun in case. And not to over crowded. Quarters will be close though.

The fish are biting and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
    Same a 8-10 person tent with a divider is bueno
    I spent 18 days in a 4 man tent , just my uncle and I and gear was a tight fit, even with a vestibule
    Colman was my last tent, nice tent room for beds , tv , stove,
    Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 11-14-2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

gun safe rule applies.....it never fails when you go camping weather goes bad. People need room to walk, stand up to dress and undress, store their bag, even sit a camp chair and eat when its too nasty outside. Women and kids going sooner or later plan accordingly. then you need room for the buddy heater too.
      If you are at the tailgate camping go big. I still like canvas best, but its not required. Some designs are good for setting a veranda right by the zip door also which is really nice for cooking in sorry weather.

you can get a smaller tent for those short one or two man overnight trips

here is the outdoor rule for taking the family:
      keep them warm, dry, and well fed. then everything will fall in place with smiles

Comment

Originally posted by TX03RUBI View Post
        Yes and no about the size. You don’t need a 6 man tent for 3 people, but you definitely want a 4 person at least. Also do you plane to truck camp all the time, or do you ever plan to hike with it any? If hiking then keep weight and size to a bare minimum. I’ve got a 3 person tent that COULD sleep 3 if needed, but ideally I use it as a two person tent. If 3 people are in it, then almost all gear stays outside. I like to bring my gear in and not sleep with someone’s feet in my face when possible.
        I didn't read every response, but this is pretty solid here. It really all depends on what you are looking to do.

Comment

They are all wet, cold (or hot) and a PIA to put up or take down.

Get a camper [emoji51]

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            They are all wet, cold (or hot) and a PIA to put up or take down.

Get a camper [emoji51]
            That was (jokingly) going to be my next comment haha.

Good advice Easeup!!

Comment

Plenty of once a year campers on the market due to inflation. Should be able to find one and purchase at a very discounted price.

Comment

Whatever tent you get buy a nice sleeping mat from rei

Comment

Originally posted by Vargas 1695 View Post
                  Plenty of once a year campers on the market due to inflation. Should be able to find one and purchase at a very discounted price.
                  I don't have a place to store it, unfortunately. Can't keep it at our house...hoa rules. Don't want to pay for storage, either. I may have a friend that would allow me to keep it at his place though.

Comment

Like everyone said 6 man tent for 3 people. If you or your gear is touching the sides overnight the dew will get you wet.

Comment

Originally posted by ctom87 View Post
                      I don't have a place to store it, unfortunately. Can't keep it at our house...hoa rules. Don't want to pay for storage, either. I may have a friend that would allow me to keep it at his place though.
                      I would rather tent Cheaper and less of a hassle

Comment

The two tents we stayed in on our elk hunt. Brother-in-law just bought the Kodiak really nice tent.
                        6-man tent will be big enough for about 4 people. The tent companies must use really small people in their test!
                        Attached Files

Comment

It also depends on your definition of camping! I’ve been camping since I was a kid and am fine in a small tent. My wife on the other hand, she doesn’t camp…. she glamps! We bought an 8 man tent recently that has a flap designed for a window unit air conditioner! We sleep on a high rise queen air mattress, our daughter sleeps on a twin air mattress, and the dog sleeps inside the tent on a fluffy dog bed!

I’m trying to work with my wife into doing some primitive camping which would open up a LOT more locations. This is one reason I’m converting my small cargo trailer into a small square drop camper. Maybe one day I’ll get her out of her comfort zone a little.

Comment

I have bought from REI for my tents. Both 4 season tents as some of my mountain hunts in Alaska get extreme. 4 people is definitely 6 in tent talk. Very good brands at REI to choose from. Tents that are returned are in GREAT shape also but not much choice in the 4 season category back when I looked.....but 3 season may work well in Texas.

Comment

I would also consider one that the rainfly goes all the way to the ground. I had a tent one season that had a rainfly that was about a foot off the ground and got in a nasty thunderstorm in the mountains and flooded my tent from water being able to get in that opening from the bottom of the fly to the ground. Two entry points is also nice. And above all a vestibule is nice to have to store gear outside the tent and protected. After my tent turned to a pool in the mountains I came home and bought a cables Alaskan guide geodesic tent. That is what I use for truck camping. I have a MSR for backpacking and it is nice also. Not sure what all REI carries but those are a few things I would look for.

Comment

After a couple nasty storms, i gave up on the cheap coleman style tents and bought a Kodiak 10x14. Spent 3 weeks in it in Colorado this summer and it was worth every penny.

Comment

Working...
                                X