TERP program

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TERP program

Has anyone here ever Terp a tractor before?

Figure some of you farm guys might have some input on this. Smith County is open this go round. Im very skeptical as its govt money and im not a fan at all.

Ive never found anyone first hand thats done it to get their input on the aftermath and what was required logging hours after purchase. Ive pretty much talked myself out of it. But got me thinking i would post on here just to see if anyone had done it.

For folks not familiar its state grant money to lower emmissions on big trucks, Ag tractors and construciton equipment. Pretty much you destroy old engine block and they give you X amount toward a new tractor often more than what old tractor is worth.

Im a big fan of old equipement as i can work on it. But the more we do the more im liking the newer tractors we have and less use for the older ones.

Use ur gut feeling. New equipment are nothing but problems and under powered.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep. My dad did.
      Old tractor was end of life and needed a rebuild. No real heartache over it. We had to window the block on both sides, and torch cut the rear hubs. Nothing but a parts machine now. Sits under a tree, and the kids play on it.

New tractor is a 90hp w/DEF. It has left us stranded atleast 5 times with hay on the ground. Really handy.

That said, I would not TERP a good running tractor. If I remember correctly they offered us ALLOT (+$50k) for a 70's IH 806. Straight 6 motor thats tight, and runs great. Had to decline as that tractor has been in the family for years, and is in great shape. It was tempting, but that would have been a mistake.

Comment

$50k for an 806 WOW

Comment

That's a ridiculous amount of money for an old 806

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
            Yep. My dad did.
            Old tractor was end of life and needed a rebuild. No real heartache over it. We had to window the block on both sides, and torch cut the rear hubs. Nothing but a parts machine now. Sits under a tree, and the kids play on it.

New tractor is a 90hp w/DEF. It has left us stranded atleast 5 times with hay on the ground. Really handy.

That said, I would not TERP a good running tractor. If I remember correctly they offered us ALLOT (+$50k) for a 70's IH 806. Straight 6 motor thats tight, and runs great. Had to decline as that tractor has been in the family for years, and is in great shape. It was tempting, but that would have been a mistake.
            Yea thats what i have heard. As well im hearing some stupid numbers throwed around for old big hp tractors.

Like +100K for 150hp and up older tractor which is what i was considering.

Luckily i have enough tractors that a new one leaving me stranded wouldnt be a huge deal i have backups.

The one i was considering is going to need a power shift rebuild.

Comment

Palmetto any details on the hours log and requirements that had to be turned in afterwards?

Comment

I wish they did this for round balers, because I'd love to take a torch to our #%@! baler.

Comment

Originally posted by lars View Post
                  I wish they did this for round balers, because I'd love to take a torch to our #%@! baler.
                  Haha im laughing with ya. Ive been there. A new baler was worth the money!

Comment

Originally posted by dclifton View Post
                    Palmetto any details on the hours log and requirements that had to be turned in afterwards?
                    I think it's a 7 year program. We are in year 5 or 6 in I think. I will report back next week.

Comment

how do I find out if my county is open, Angelina

Comment

Originally posted by Javelin View Post
                        how do I find out if my county is open, Angelina
                        I dont know i got the info from a buddy thats doing it. His paperwork was filled out by ASCO the local case dealer.

Comment

Originally posted by lars View Post

lol!!! I hear you brother

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't see how you could justify destroying say a JD 2010 for 50k when a modern true replacement is like 90k. What am I missing?

Comment

Working...
                            X