Big Bend Archery Mule Deer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big Bend Archery Mule Deer

Well its a few weeks since we got back but life got crazy trying to get caught up on everything.

First off thank you to the couple of guys that helped me in my preplanning and scouting. It is greatly appreciated and helped out a lot.

Second, that place is something special. Amazing country, beautiful views, and some down right fun hunting.

We started of by leaving a day early and making the 11 hour drive out the the park. Fueled up in Presidio and got off the pavement to start the long bumpy drive in to the Bunkhouse. Met Border Patrol on the way in and they said the were on the look out for reported smugglers. We got to the Bunkhouse after a slow almost two hour drive and checked in. Then we drove for the last hour of daylight and glassed a big basin from a high ridge. No deer seen but did spot a nice 4 point shed about 1/4 mile down. We saw some quail and javelina on the way back in and a ton of dove. The sunset was amazing. Cooked a nice steak dinner in the bunkhouse and made ourselves at home. Met some of the other hunters and made new friends. The Bunkhouse is really nice accommodations.

About 3 am a bad thunderstorm rolled in and kicked out the power for a while. Not sure how much rain but it was a downpour. We awoke to cool temps and new people in camp. Everyone was getting ready for the orientation. Met the hunt director and checked in. Met all the other hunters and went through the rules. Drew units. We got drawn as a group of 4 so we had 1/3 of the tags. Sadly we still only got one unit to hunt in which was big but splitting up we covered most all of it and saw only a handful of bucks.

Day 1
    We were let loose to go to our units before lunch. Most groups were camping in their unit but we decided to stay in the bunkhouse as our unit touched the headquarters area. Our group split up and picked two areas to focus on for the afternoon. The unit was square and guessing about 3000-3500 acres. It had some decent peaks in it with a huge bowl in the middle and a large arroyo that ran through it. With all the recent water we decided to glass and stalk instead of sitting water holes as they were everywhere and the arroyo was actually running water.
    My friend ,Toastie on here, and I walked up a rim to glass a large section of the biggest mountain in the unit. We slowly made our way into the bottom. I thought it was him making noise coming around a ridge but when I see him he is pointing up the other side of the ridge to a saddle where he just saw a nice buck run over. We then spent a good portion of the afternoon walking to different glassing points a scanning the country. We didn't see anymore deer and eventually made our way back to the truck.
    The other guys went to the back of the unit and walked into the North side of another bowl and hiked in down the arroyo ridge glassing along the way but never turned anything up. We met back at the working pens and decided to drive to the Southwest side and come in a hiking trail to glass two different ridges on the other side.
    We spotted some Aoudad, including a monster that just sat there starring at us. We sat and watched him and caught movement in the canyon below near the waterfall that was cascading down the sheer rock drop off we were over. Two grey fox were chasing something in a rock slide below us. jumping in and out of the large boulders and the small brush that grew within them. I also found a big 2x2 up a draw that was still in velvet. As it was getting dark we made our way out to the trucks. Sat under the stars just taking in all we had seen the first day. Slowly made the drive back to camp. Cooked diner and spoke to the other hunters that decided to stay in the bunkhouse. The saw a few does.

Again, in the middle of the night a huge downpour. Lighting and thunder crashing. I left central Texas which has been in a bad drought and go to the desert to find rain. Go figure.

Following and enjoyed day 1 recap.

Rwc

Comment

Day 2
      We woke up not really rested as one of the other hunters snored like a god awful freight train running through the middle of the cabin. We had a quick breakfast packed our gear and headed out. We decided to hit the same places and see what we could find in the morning light. Cool temps and coyotes howling. We hiked in from the North to have a good wind for where we spotted the first buck.
      Came over the saddle and settled in on the ridgeline to glass the mountain. Found another nice shed in a travel corridor where the buck had escaped to the first day. Slow until just before 9 am I catch movement about 3/4 of a mile away in a saddle on the mountain. A buck. Get the spotting scope on him and it is a huge 2x2 in velvet. Wide and tall. I caught him just in time as he just stands there for nearly 15 minutes and then walks into some bushes to bed down. We watch for a while to make sure he doesn't come out the other side and decide its worth a stalk. A long one.
      We make our way into the bottom of the Arroyo and out to the other side. Up to the North and cross over to hike up a draw to his West. We had marked his location on OnX. Get the wind right creep in and find the small tree he was near. Toastie sets up in some brush below where he is and I go above to sneak in hoping if he busts out down the hill he might get a shot if I don't.
      He gets settled, and I very slowly creep into position. I move forward and loose sight of him. Once, I am above the small draw Toastie in sitting on get a better view I realize we had picked the wrong tree. The right one is another 40-50 yards out in front of us. I can't see him in the brush to motion for him to move up to the next set of bushes. And I was kind of in a spot where I was already too close and committed. I moved on another 20 yards. Glassed all the brush with my binoculars. No hide or hair.
      I start to doubt he actually bedded down and slipped out of there somehow. If you have ever spot and stalked mule deer in open country, its easy to miss a small draw or a crease in the landscape from over a 1/2 mile. Doubt set in. He wasn't where I thought he should be or anywhere I could see. There was another set of brush another 30-40 yards past his tree so I decided to stalk over to it. I didn't make five yards and I hear him bust out not 30 yards below and behind me. He didn't run Toastie's way and he never stopped. He had winded me and left the county.
      Heart broken and dejected I look as my friend came walking up the ridge. Both with smiles on our face. While we failed to get an arrow off we had just stalked within 30 yards of a big mature Texas Mule deer and it was an awesome feeling.
      We looked at his hiding spot. He had moved about 10 yards West and just down from his original spot. Hidden in brush just under a two foot ledge, completely hidden. Even if I knew he was in there I'm not sure I could have spotted him from above.
      Lesson learned. Trust what in what you saw and be patient.
      Two hours had past and it was getting close to Noon. We hiked out and met the other guys. They had hiked in to a different part of the unit and found nothing. We grabbed a quick lunch and then went out to sit the evening.
      Toastie and I decided to go to the draw I spotted the 2x2 the evening before. When I saw him he was feeding up the draw out into a flat and down into a large green bottom. We hoped he would have the same routine. The other guys hiked in to glass a new basin to try to turn up some deer.
      We get set up hiding in some rock formations to ambush his travel path. He did not show but we spotted two different bucks about 300 yards on a different draw going the opposite direction. A 3x3 in velvet and a small 2x2. As it got dark we we made our way out. Another great day and an amazing sunset.
      Cooked dinner and talked with the other hunters. I had helped the other guy out and given him a map I had made of the unit he was in with possible good areas. He said the had be checking each one and seen deer in them all. So I guess my e-scouting worked out OK. They had seen two really big bucks at 40 yards just didn't get a shot. My group sat and talked and laughed and caught up with everything going on in life. We all 4 went to college together and all still hang out and hunt regularly. We have an upcoming trip to Colorado in a week. But back to the Big Bend. Next day coming up.

Comment

Following. We hunted Elephant mountain back in 2020 and love it down there! In for the rest of the story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Tagged for tomorrow!

Comment

Day 3
            No monsoon in the middle of the night but cool temps greeted us as we went to the unit. We hunted the East side again. The wind had shifted a little so we came in from the South and could glass the South side of the mountain and the huge bowl in the middle. Our friends took up our first day spot hoping on of the two bucks would be in there again.
            No luck. We glassed for hours and only turned up two does looking over the whole place. We could also turn South and glass and huge Mesa and all the flats and draws around it in another unit. Maybe we had burned the spot out. We returned to the cabin ate a quick lunch and headed back out headed into the unit a different way.
            We hiked straight into a steep canyon and up into a flat above. The other guys drove into a camp ground to a rim that fell down into the Arroyo. We turned up a single doe on the flat and two on the way out down a different canyon. The others had two does cross the bottom come up the side and within 50 yards but no bucks.
            We made the drive back to the Southwest corner to try to find the two bucks from the prior evening. came in from down wind of the draw they traveled. Built Toastie a brush blind in the boulders and I hid up behind him with a better view of the flat they should be coming up. We got there early and set up and sat in the blazing hot sun and they never showed. We thought we heard something at one point but never saw whatever it was.
            The other guys had walked down into the Arroyo and up around the back side of the mountain we were on. They wanted to check out some of the ancient wall paintings that were on the face of the Canyon. They saw a doe or two and nothing else.
            Another great sunset. Sat under the night sky looking at all the stars that appeared. Listened to the owls and the coyotes. Taking in the last evening. One morning. One last shot.
            Also, more lessons learned. Everything out here will poke you. Everything.
            And Mule deer probably aren't like Whitetails. They don't seem follow a pattern.

Comment

Day 3 1/2
              So we get back to the Bunkhouse. Two hunters we met before had come in. They had shot a Javelina and were going to clean it and then head out early in the morning. They had seen a few really nice bucks but never got a shot. Said they saw a Monster in the next unit over but that guy had already left for Home. Props to him he made it in a minivan but the rains had washed out some of the low crossings on the road in. The park crew had worked and fixed them with some dirt work so he got out when he could.
              I think the storms messed with those who camped out also. The two guys said the wind literally almost blew his tent away with him in it. They slept in the truck. Apparently there was hail also.
              Our bunkhouse friend said he tried a new spot on the map I gave him and got two shots off at 60 yards on a nice buck that was rubbing his velvet off. First shot he just looked up, second he took off. No Blood.
              I think there were only my group and 4 other actual hunters left.

Comment

Day 4
                Last morning. Last chance. You have to be out of the unit by 11 am so its a quick last ditch chance that you hope you get lucky and find a buck early. We didn't. Never saw a deer. Beautiful hike in and out. Took a quick side hike to see some of the sights. Enjoyed the West Texas country and the rising sun. Hot cup cup of coffee and told myself I was going to bring the family back some day. And maybe, if I am lucky, be able to hunt this place again before I am too old. We met our friends back at the Bunkhouse. They got in the middle of a pack of Javelina and could have shot one each but decided not to mess with a stink pig on the last morning. We pack up our gear and hit the road for the long drive home.
                We took the highway to the South this time to drive along the border to Terlingua. The river was raging. Flooded and muddy with debris. All the low spots in the highway had dirt washed down from the hills. Road crews had cleared the path.
                We stopped in Alpine for some lunch. A great little spot but I can't remember the name. That is a cool little town. I would love to have a ranch or a deer lease there one day. Toastie and I said good bye to our friends as we were headed different directions from there and we had the long drive home getting home around 11 pm.

What a trip. What a place. I will be going back one day. Hopefully sooner than later. It meant a little more to me as my Grandfather used to tell me stories of Big Bend and the Davis Mountains and hunting out there when he was a young man. Hunting dove and quail and mule deer. Now I can tell him my story and the adventures I had where he once hunted.

Thanks for following along, and if you ever get the chance to make it to Big Bend don't pass it up.

Comment

Big Bend Country

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Comment

Glassing the mountains

Comment

Til next time

Comment

Great write up! Thanks for sharing with us. Sounds like it was a heck of a trip.

Comment

Enjoyed each update, thanks for taking us along.

Rwc

Comment

Great write up, sounds like an amazing hunt. Would like to visit that area someday.

Comment

Thanks for sharing.
                              My buddy and i will be at black gap the 30 nov.

Comment

Working...
                              X