Chaparral camping/lodging?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chaparral camping/lodging?

There's a few of us dads gonna have kids there for the GDE week after Christmas and one my coworkers will have his son there November for doe/spike weekend.
    I've found lots threads about Chap hunting and have found bits n pieces about the camping. Looking for little clearer info on the onsite campgrounds? Appears to be 2? Also, how far is drive to decent lodging? Ain't gotta be fancy

They have 2 camping areas. One closest to the lodge is for generator use, no facilities. The other, just past it, has facilities but doesn’t allow running a generator. Closest motel is around 15-20 minutes away.

Comment

There's two separate camp grounds at the WMA. One is for campers with no electircal but generators are allowed. The other is for tent camping with a central shower.

There's hotels about 20-30 minutes away with a couple of places to eat (NOT much) in Cotulla. Last time I stayed there was a really nice set of trailer houses converted into fully furnished cabins, 2 per trailer. I can't remember the name but one of the hotels had a courtyard with bbq pits.

Comment

if you elect to stay in Cotulla, I recomend the Whitten in motel.

But, the kids all have a good time at the campground. campfires and smores are a big hit for them.

Comment

Thanks for info. Thinking will plan to tent camp but if weather isn't agreeable we might look at getting a room. He is talking about wanting hunt pretty hard so trying to keep that in mind. We do a fair amount of camping already.

Comment

Lots of hotel options in Cotulla. Roughly 20 miles to the WMA gate from town. Did several youth hunts down there with my boys over the years and they loved the camping. We did hotel it a couple of times but that was because of bad/cold weather.

Comment

Tent camping isn’t bad there as there are some overhangs roofs that go over picnic tables. Bring a few extra tarps and you can walk them in and throw a tent on the inside. Will really block the wind/rain if it does. It is a little loud as it’s right by the highway but not too bad. They also have showers/bathroom right there where you camp. I’ve camped there twice.

Comment

When the kids were younger we checked the weather forecast, brought cots (no tent needed) and slept under the stars.

Most recently my son and I did a hotel in Cotulla. Short drive to the WMA.

Comment

Working...
                X