Menard 2022/23 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SV72 View Post
    Went yesterday to feed and our place looks like it’s April. It is amazing how real rain makes a place just thrive. I am still not seeing very many acorns, which is weird. Last year we had none and I was thinking they would come back with a vengeance this year. I know the deer would welcome that. Activity was slow once the place began to green back up per the cameras. Stopped at the new place to eat and it was really good.
    Most of the county has really greened up. It was so dry that I don't expect many acorns and the one that we have are pretty small. Watch for snakes as they are really moving right now. It was so hot and dry that they pretty much laid up all summer and now with cooler temps and a little ground cover, they are moving to try get something in their bellies.
    I saw one on the home ranch in southern Medina County yesterday morning that was an absolute monster. He got away from me in extremely dense white brush thicket. He was so big that he almost made me sick at my stomach and I was raised and have hunted across south Texas and Mexico all my life.
    Adios,
    Gary

Comment

Are the deers still on the deers korn or have they moved onto acorns? Picked up a 200 acre lease just west of menard and I'm going into opening day with no game cams and no clue. Which I like but as I sit here and wait I wish I had some game cam pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
        Most of the county has really greened up. It was so dry that I don't expect many acorns and the one that we have are pretty small. Watch for snakes as they are really moving right now. It was so hot and dry that they pretty much laid up all summer and now with cooler temps and a little ground cover, they are moving to try get something in their bellies.
        I saw one on the home ranch in southern Medina County yesterday morning that was an absolute monster. He got away from me in extremely dense white brush thicket. He was so big that he almost made me sick at my stomach and I was raised and have hunted across south Texas and Mexico all my life.
        Adios,
        Gary
        Thanks for the heads up. We have killed 2 in one area of our lease on 2 different trips. The one you saw sounds like a giant. I don’t like them either. Thanks for all the great reports, Gary. Good luck to you.

Comment

Had a tenth of inch of rain early Monday morning and it was 49 here this morning. Looks like it's cooling off which will really get the snakes moving. Acorns are dropping, mostly small ones due to the drought, not all trees have them. Bucks have shed their velvet over the last two weeks and seem to be putting on a little weight. Antler growth appears to be below average unless the deer were on a very aggressive supplemental feeding program. Still no doves to speak of. We really need another good rain before it gets too cool to grow grass.
          Adios,
          Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Roberson View Post
            Had a tenth of inch of rain early Monday morning and it was 49 here this morning. Looks like it's cooling off which will really get the snakes moving. Acorns are dropping, mostly small ones due to the drought, not all trees have them. Bucks have shed their velvet over the last two weeks and seem to be putting on a little weight. Antler growth appears to be below average unless the deer were on a very aggressive supplemental feeding program. Still no doves to speak of. We really need another good rain before it gets too cool to grow grass.
            Adios,
            Gary
            Thanks for the update.
            Got a couple of guys going up this weekend. Hoping for good reports.

We had a bumper crop of Axis last year, but had a wet fall and a green wheat field by mid November. Not sure what the rancher/weather will do this year.

Comment

I had about 30 axis coming to the feeders on my little river place up until we got the rain and it greened up. Now, I have one buck and a few does and fawns. I think that this is a good thing as their absence is giving my grass a little time to grow before winter. When it gets cold, they really pile in on me as there is shelter from the north winds.
              Adios,
              Gary

Comment

Good luck to everyone this morning!

Comment

Didn't make it this weekend, but got a report from the property that it is even greener than it was on Labor day.

Comment

Most of the county is drying out again. Hopefully we are going to get a little rain next week.
                    Adios,
                    Gary

Comment

Culled this guy south of town yesterday morning with the bowClick image for larger version

Name:	20221007_154921.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	24695644

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

My deer look healthy but horns are down. Last year I had several deer with kickers and one drop tine. This year I don't have a single buck with a kicker. Random but last year all horn development was natural, i started feeding timed protein last November. I know rain was bad this year but protein didn't seam to do anything more than attract deer.

Comment

We spent all weekend setting our 5 feeders back up and refilling with corn. Two of them needed controllers as well. Neighbors on one side had all 5 of their feeders turned over as well as the neighbor's 3 feeders on the other side of us. It appears one big hog did it all. Nobody bow hunted, everyone was looking for that **** hog. This is the culprit.
                          Attached Files

Comment

We were at the lease this weekend. Had a later start this year than originally planned. Mesquites had sprung up in quite a few spots. Didn’t see many deer or hogs but got into a mess of dove. There were still some green spots from last rain but it did look dry. At any rate, a weekend out here beats a month in the city.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Give me a rain update Monday please, after the cold front goes through.
                              Planted some winter wheat, and hoping for a sprout.

Comment

I am heading out this weekend for the 1st time. I believe there will be some other guys out and we are putting up a new box blind and moving some other stuff around. I hope to get at least one hunt.

Comment

Working...
                                X