Feed pens and sheep!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Feed pens and sheep!!!!

Landowner just told me he’s selling his cattle and getting sheep. Right now my feed pen consist of 3 strands of barbed wire. It’s been fine to keep cows out, but I have to make it sheep proof now. Will hog panels work? Do I need cattle panels? What about some type of roll wire from tractor supply?

I hunt Axis and turkeys on this place.

Comment

If sheep can't eat it they poop on it. Never again...................

Comment

Sheep could be a game changer depending on how many he runs. Sheep will target the food sources the axis do and possibly strip the food source down to nothing. If you look at sheep/goat vs cattle pastures you’ll notice a huge difference in appearance most of the time. Browse lines most noticeably. A four foot panel would probably keep the sheep out of the pen, but depending on numbers of sheep running the property you may see a decrease in axis numbers. Or possibly and increase at you feeder. Could go either way I guess.

Comment

We had sheep on a old place I was on as well as a few on the place I’m on now and they’re no more a pain than cows from my experience. Good cattle panels will do the trick. Sheep will graze the place more than cattle and in my experience the deer are not near as comfortable around sheep as they were cattle which is the opposite of what I would have thought.

Comment

Hog panels will do in most cases unless they have nothing to eat and start jumping

Comment

Good info so far. About the hog panels, “if” they can jump in then they are worthless
              I don’t know if a sheep would jump a hog panel or not.

I know nothing about sheep. The posts above don’t sound promising.

Comment

Ugh.....your gem of an axis place could very well suffer going from cattle to sheep. Good luck!!

Comment

Originally posted by Passthrough View Post
                  Ugh.....your gem of an axis place could very well suffer going from cattle to sheep. Good luck!!

After reading these comments that’s what I’m afraid of.

Comment

If you already have the t posts go with panels!

Or cheaper route would be to add another strand of wire in between existing strands (maybe the 4 point prison wire!).

Comment

Plenty of sheep and axis ranches in edwards/sutton/kimble/menard county. its not the end of the world like some of these crybabies are saying

Comment

I’d just run a few more strands of wire between what you already have.

Comment

Originally posted by DaleGribble View Post
                          Plenty of sheep and axis ranches in edwards/sutton/kimble/menard county. its not the end of the world like some of these crybabies are saying
                          Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                          I’d just run a few more strands of wire between what you already have.

I’m in Kinney County.

If adding a couple strands to what I already have will work then that would be great.

Comment

I hunted a place with a ton of sheep for 20 years..I had cattle panels on some of the feeders,but it was to keep the Jackackass out..The sheep never slowed down for the corn..They were well fed,maybe that was the difference..Now they are noisy as hell..The deer hated being around them.

Comment

We raise sheep, goats and cattle on our ranches. Hog panels will work fine. The hog panels may keep the turkeys out at first but they will figure it out finally to get in if they have been coming there regularly. The Axis will have no problem clearing the hog panels. They can clear cattle panels but the lower hog panels will work best. Adding additional wires MAY work, but all of the wires will have to be stretched tight to be a deterrent. The Axis will be ok with the sheep if the landowner doesn't overgraze with sheep. It just depends on the number of each because they do compete for the same resources.

Comment

Working...
                              X