No announcement yet.

Who's been bitten by a venomous snake?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Close, but no bite. Stepped up a rock ledge at a deer lease near Sonora and a rattler rattled between my legs. Fortunately it was rather cool that morning and he was sluggish. Never knew I could jump that high, that far, that fast and still be standing!

Comment

My closest encounter was back in high school, I was bow hunting one morning in October and it had been a chilly morning. I got ready to get down and decided to walk around a bit. Was walking the edge of my food plot when something at my feet caught my eye. I looked down and saw a bright white circle surrounded by a black circle lol. Took me a split second to realize I had just walked up on him and he was between my feet. I jumped back and let him go, he never struck at me though. I learned the reason why they are really called cottonmouths that morning. I had never seen one that up close before. My best guess is that it was still just a little too chilly for him to be more active and strike at me. Lucky I guess

Comment

I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Had a small 18 inch rattler hit my boot twice in Young county close to 20 years ago both times he got into the leather but not through the boot Danner Elk Hunters the inside of the boot had a yellowish stain where the fangs went in he didn’t survive the encounter

Comment

Almost twice by rattlers, but never bit.

Once while thru-hiking the Appalachian Trail in the mountains of Massachusetts. Almost stepped on a Timber Rattler from 1 foot away. Struck, missed, no rattle... Would've been bad news since I was many, many miles from any road crossing.

Other time was more recent at a friend's land fishing a pond. Rattler slid right past me about 4 feet away & just kept going. Didn't even acknowledge I was there.

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
              This guy was chillin in the leaves when I was putting up a stand last September. Got done hanging it, and had marked some small saplings/dead limbs I needed to break or cut when back on the ground. Was yanking a low hanging dead limb, and looked down bout 2’ from my left foot and there he was. Sneaky suckers! First pic was zoomed in with me as close as I felt like he’d allow. Second pic is from prob just 5-6’ away showing how those copperheads blend in to the leaves! Keep your eyes peeled brothers! Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
              And I still can't see him!

Comment

One I forgot about was when I was ten or eleven. I’m left handed, and thought I was Ken Griffey, Jr. I’d take an aluminum bat and hit rocks over the power lines. Griffey had that pretty swing where he’d follow through and bring the top of the bat down behind him, and I was doing that. Every swing I’d hear “ting” when the rock hit the bat, then a thud when the bat hit the ground behind me. After once swing I heard the thud, then another “ting” and the bat vibrated in my hand a little. Looked behind me and a curled up moccasin was there. He’d actually left small marks where he’d struck the bat. Not sure how I didn’t notice him, I guess because I was walking blindly looking for the perfect rocks to hit. I had the bat, and he didn’t survive the encounter.

Comment

Originally posted by youngbuck1 View Post
                  Had a rattler fall out of a t post driver that was left on the ground. That was interesting. Walked over several cotton mouths hunting grapevine. Had another raptor curl up on me while I was cutting firewood. Never struck but some close calls.
                  Dang. Never thought about checking in a driver. Those suckers will get anywhere.

I had one under my trail camera once when I was checking it, but it was cool and didn’t strike.

Comment

Not that it helps much, here’s the same “second pic”, but I got him circled in this one.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                      Technically didn't get me. Did get my jeans. Venom on inside of pant leg. Rubbing on shin. Made for a nasty reaction, almost like a chemical burn.
                      Snake didn't make it.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I found your story and the chemical burn fascinating.

Comment

Had a boat get washed away during hurricane Rita from Sabine Pass it wound up on Hwy 73 DPS had road blocked off and told me to be careful and watch for snakes I kinda blew em off and went to retrieve my boat.I hopped up in the boat it was full of marsh grass I felt something hitting my boot a dang o cotton mouth.He struck 4 or 5 times but couldn’t get through my Wolverine work boots.I took care of him and really paid attention and dang I had 3 more in the boat and they were all over the debris washed up.

Comment

Originally posted by TheHammer View Post
                          Dang. Never thought about checking in a driver. Those suckers will get anywhere.

I had one under my trail camera once when I was checking it, but it was cool and didn’t strike.
                          My brother was laying under his tractor the other day trying to hook up a dirty PTO shaft on his tiller. A small copperhead came out of the plastic shaft cover right next to him. My dad and other brother saw him beating the hell out of the dirt with a hammer and couldn't figure out what was going on until he came crawling out at mach 3. Shook him up pretty good but dad got a laugh out of it.

Comment

Since I encounter a half dozen rattlers a year, I have had a few close calls but the closest was when I was running my brush mower outside the front fence, looked down and there was an 18” rattlesnake right between my feet. I did a little happy dance on his head with my Chips. BTW I have killed two rattlers in the past three days, they are moving now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shinesintx View Post
                              I found your story and the chemical burn fascinating.
                              I didn't. Even though I washed the jeans they would still cause a rash. Even as it healed it constantly dries out and peeled. Sore and raw a long time. Steroid cream and antibiotics is all doc did.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
                                Not by snake
                                Got bit by a black widow spider on the forehead
                                It was a miserable 3 week recovery
                                Did that too. No fun!

Comment

Working...
                                X