No announcement yet.

Who’d a thunk it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the fuselage mounted parachute a requirement in a experimental aircraft?

Comment

Ultra-lites and experimentals are pretty cool. I had a former employer who was a dealer for BlueMax (and one more) in Crowely Tx. He was also a fight instructor. Bought and sold quite a few while I was there. And met some of his flying buddies. He bought one plane that was like 60lbs total. And we shaved some more wight off it before he sold it. He also has an annual supported trip he does with several people over a couple of days. One feller flew his plane upside down from Kansas to Ft. Worth. He was 72, an old Nam vet, did wheelies on a Kawasaki Ninja, and known as "Crazy Bob" .

Your Nephew stands to meet some pretty incredible people if he sticks with it. And make some memories for life.

(My Grandfather was a barn Stormer.)

Comment

Generic pic, this is a Rans S-21, so this is somewhat of what it’ll look like. Bush plane kind of look. Very short takeoff and landing type plane. Doors open up w/gas assist, Lambo/gull-wing type.
        Attached Files

Comment

Some of those Ultra_lites run on 3-5hp motors.

Comment

You know Jay, I don’t know bout the parachute. But I’m betting it may be a requirement.

Comment

And one more thing... I’ve tigged very little chromoly tube. I’ve done race car parts here and there through the years, but never like a full frame, or cage, or whatever. Anyway, this stuff is amazing on how light, but how strong it is! The strength to weight ratio is through the roof! Most all of the tube I welded was .049 wall thickness. Only where the tie bolts go through the fire wall is it thicker at .125 (1/8”). That and the actual motor mount brackets. They were .125 as well. When I first got enough weld stitched on it for us to feel comfortable it would stay put enough to remove the motor, then we removed the frame from the fire wall. It was crazy how light it was! Course it is thin wall so it goes without saying as to why. When we bolted it back to the fire wall after final weld up, it was SUPER strong and rigid. And by the way, where the part of the engine frame butts to the firewall, there are flat spacers to make a larger footprint on the attachment point. Then behind the thin stainless sheet firewall, there is a mating fuselage frame attachment that essentially sammiches the stainless firewall between them, if that makes any sense. Very strong. I’ll try and get a pic.

Comment

Hopefully this shows what I’m talking about. The yellow circles are where the long bolts go through the short piece of 1/8” wall tube on the engine mount frame, through the fire wall, and through a mating short piece of 1/8” wall tube on the cockpit/fuselage frame. Six bolt attachment points altogether.
                Attached Files

Comment

Latest info I got from him. Still a work in progress before arriving at final numbers. But this is close. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                  Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                    Is the fuselage mounted parachute a requirement in a experimental aircraft?
                    Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                    You know Jay, I don’t know bout the parachute. But I’m betting it may be a requirement.
                    Parachutes are not required in experimentals.

The rans are nice planes, pretty similar to dad's. (He built a kitfox). 160-180 HP is crazy on a plane that light. Dad's is about 100lbs lighter, and is rated for 100-120HP if I remember correctly.

If you have any interest at all in this type of stuff, and especially in building one off parts, you should check out Mike Pateys "scrappy" build on youtube. It's incredible, but be warned, you can spend hours there. He also had a build called draco that was really cool.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

Chase... I’ve been burning up videos bout these things since I got back! �� I’ve watched several on Draco, Scrappy, and Steve Henry and his 300 hp Highlander. Blew my mind when I first watched Steve take off in SIX FEET, and land in less than 25’!! Crazy stuff!

Comment

That’s pretty cool! I’ve spent a little time in an F1 Harmon Rocket. Always makes you tingle a little climbing into something that has “experimental” on it!

Comment

The highlanders are pretty impressive planes.

Comment

Thats a cool azz project for sure. Since it is "homemade" and "experimental" do you still have to have a pilots license and all that to fly it ?

Comment

Yes, you do have to have a license. And there are different kinds as well. My nephew has a PPL SEL (private pilots single engine land) and that gets him licensed up to a gross weight of 12,000 lbs, so it’s all he needs. You could fly this type plane with a “light sport”, but it would restrict your gross weight (1350 max) you’d be licensed to carry, as well as top speed/hp, you would be licensed for. The way he is building it, a light sport license wouldn’t be sufficient. There’s also the “ultralight” category you can fly without a license, but that’s limited to 254 lbs or less empty weight, and carry less than 5 gallons of fuel. Also limited to 63 mph top speed. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty

Comment

Originally posted by spidermonkey View Post
                                Yes, you do have to have a license. And there are different kinds as well. My nephew has a PPL SEL (private pilots single engine land) and that gets him licensed up to a gross weight of 12,000 lbs, so it’s all he needs. You could fly this type plane with a “light sport”, but it would restrict your gross weight (1350 max) you’d be licensed to carry, as well as top speed/hp, you would be licensed for. The way he is building it, a light sport license wouldn’t be sufficient. There’s also the “ultralight” category you can fly without a license, but that’s limited to 254 lbs or less empty weight, and carry less than 5 gallons of fuel. Also limited to 63 mph top speed. Good Huntin, and God Bless, Rusty
                                I've heard some chatter about the faa wanting to raise the max weight on lightsport to 3400lbs I think. This would get the cessna 182 in the lightsport class. I think it's going to the board (whatever that means) in 2022 or '23. You heard anything about that?

Comment

Working...
                                X