No announcement yet.

PSA: Watch for bicycle riders

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What about while im obeying the law, minding my own business. Why is it ok for cars to aim at me to jack with me?

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
      What about while im obeying the law, minding my own business. Why is it ok for cars to aim at me to jack with me?
      Its not , but in this world nowadays the people don't care. All you are doing is holding them up & or creating a dangerous situation ,because you are not going the speed of the flow. LOTS of arrogant riders in Houston. Gets to where you could care less about any of them.

Comment

I think most cyclists would have a different perspective of how hard it is to see them if they rode around on a motorcycle for a few months so they could learn how hard it is to be seen while riding in traffic in the main lanes let alone riding on the small shoulder going 10 -20 mph.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
          What you don't have the right to do is break the law as you have admitted to doing and impeding traffic. Also against the law but yes other than that you have every right to be on the road.

If all it takes is reading some comments on here to get you ****** you might be better off not riding with your pistol. Lol got to make sure it's in plain sight too huh?
          I wear a skin tight jersey because the winds. so yeah.... its in the open

Comment

Originally posted by westtexducks View Post
            Then stay off the Fing road.

Bikes that get ran over out here in my area get 0 sympathy from me, same as motorcycle dudes that end up getting killed on the road. Same for joggers running down the side of the road.

Everyone on a bike bitches about almost getting ran over almost getting swiped etc. and then just continues the same insanity and expects the entire rest of the world to change their behavior to make them happy.

You want to ride for exercise and health that's fine, go find a park, trail, literally anywhere and go do laps to get your miles in. Sure it may suck but your safe and we are safe from hitting you. Hell you should be nervous just driving down the road in your car/truck let alone on a bike, motorcycle or jogging. Lost count how many I have ran up behind in Colorado that were lucky I was paying attention. What if I hadn't been? Or the sun was just right? Is it worth it for any party involved for you to be out there on your bike? Is it worth that risk? I like to hike and get exercise as well to go chase critters in the mountains but for my safety I go walk boring laps around the local event center 12 times every couple of days. Is it boring kinda, but I do what I have to to stay safe.
            My thoughts exactly. Bike riders on roads and slow left lane drivers drive me crazy. I enjoy riding my mountain bike, on trails.

Comment

Originally posted by TXHUNT3R View Post
              I wear a skin tight jersey because the winds. so yeah.... its in the open
              Just has to make sure everyone knows it too? You wonder why people don't care for cyclist. You seem to be a prime example. Don't obey the traffic laws want people to know your packing and ready for confrontation.

Comment

Originally posted by bloodtrailer28 View Post
                Just has to make sure everyone knows it too? You wonder why people don't care for cyclist. You seem to be a prime example. Don't obey the traffic laws want people to know your packing and ready for confrontation.
                Wrong, I obey the traffic laws. But I already stated that. I said when I am in a group and don't have a choice but to roll a stop sign or cause an incident, I choose to keep the group in tact.

Wasn't until cagers started messing with me that I started carrying. It's not near as bad when I do. So say what you will, I couldn't care less your opinion. Keep it in your lane and away from me.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                  Glen can you give me some examples of safe routes where a cyclist can ride 50 to 100 miles for a training ride?
                  I got a buddy that does Ironmans. He rides over 100 miles at a time at a park in The Woodlands. Granted it is a 5 mile loop, but it’s better than getting scooped up with a shovel off the side of the highway.

Comment

Most of my riding is solo so I don't have to mess with the groups and what they are doing. So most the time I'm out there solo, out the way of traffic and doing my best to stay away from cars. What is the worst feeling, you are doing what you can and you still have people come up next to you and start swerving at you, cursing at you. It's not a good feeling when they can win very easily. I'm the one vulnerable and that's a rough place to be in. Those who hate us, try to think if the position is swapped. Especially one single bike

Comment

So and to elaborate on my gun. I had some college kids come up next to me, about 6 inches from my left side at about 60MPH (them), then slam on their brakes in front of me and laugh the entire time, I was scared ****less.

So at that point, I started thinking, if they see a hand gun they might think twice and carry on. So I chose to start carrying on the outside of my jersey in the small of the back. So its out in the open, fine with me, maybe it works as a deterrent to idiots.

Fast forward about a month, I get a loud diesel come up behind me and he is about to cover me in black... ok even I admit, its pretty funny. As he approaches closer and closer he shuts it down and stops.

Had another one this past year, start jacking with me and shut it down very quick and drove off.

Now if I have someone continuing to mess with me I will happily invite them to the side of the road and we can chat, least we are on even ground then.

Its just how my mind works, I may be off base and I'm never too old to see a new way. But so far, so good.

Comment

If you’re riding for exercise why do you buy the lightest easiest to pedal bike you can afford? Get you a Wal Mart special. Won’t have to ride near as long to be flat worn out.

My biggest complaint about bike riders, just because they make the shorts in 2xl doesn’t mean you should wear them. There are some big boys out there riding in some tight clothes. We don’t need to see that.

Comment

im drivin in a group of cars nobody is stopping for teh stop sign, guess I'll run it to don't want to cause a wreck!! LMFAO!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
                            This overly exaggerated and broad statement isn’t even a starting point.
                            Part of the reason there are arguments is lead ins like this.
                            There are plenty of respectful riders with perspective and appreciation for sharing the roads with different users. There are also obnoxious bad apples, like with anything. Saying all cyclists expect drivers to wait on them is like saying all cops are out to kill civilians.
                            That's true for sure. I didn't mean to imply all riders. I was referring to the riders who get most vocal in these arguments. And it's not all of them either, but the percentage among the arguers is higher than in the biking population in general. And there are definitely jerks behind the wheel of automobiles and in these conversations as well.

That said, biking on narrow roads designed and intended for motor vehicle traffic is still a bad idea, whether anybody is a jerk about it or not.

Comment

I’ve never seen a car roll a stop sign

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
                                im drivin in a group of cars nobody is stopping for teh stop sign, guess I'll run it to don't want to cause a wreck!! LMFAO!!!!
                                Not the same thing at all.

Just something to keep in mind, it is hard to stop, unclip, push off, clip back in and go. AGAIN, I do that, its the law, I get it.

Now take 50 riders all trying to stop, unclip and so on, its where most of the wrecks happen on the road within groups.

just FYI

Comment

Working...
                                X