Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)

Old 04-06-2021, 08:15 AM   #451
imyomama
Ten Point

can an Iray be taken apart and serviced? that could be the difference ? and these chinese re-branded devices are throw away devices, so if you want to spend $2500 -$3500 on a scope that has a 3 year warranty, expect that if and when it breaks after 3 years , you'll just have to buy a new one. and that's fine , you just need to realize that's what you're getting yourself into. In that case, I think getting a device that uses generic replaceable batteries is key as it's probably the first thing that will fail assuming the rest of the stuff has good QC. to me a $2k device and up is too much $ to just be a throw away device that's sealed and non serviceable. no matter the brand ... knowing it can be serviced in the US would be a firm deciding factor, in addition from performance.
imyomama is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 09:14 AM   #452
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordnandez View Post
I have not personally looked through one but what I am seeing on youtube looks like great value for the money. There is a good chance you were looking at the $2300 Hogster unit and I would imagine the IRAY unit that is $4k does and should have a better image quality. Also that IRAY unit has a base mag of 4x where as the hogsters are 1.4x and 2x. The higher base mag will give the perception of a better picture and that compiled with the 12 micron and what I would assume be a better lense on the IRAY I dont doubt that it would have a significantly better picture but also what makes it 75% more expensive.
It was the Hogster 35. My entire point with thermals, is save up a little more and buy once cry once. Because if I had that scope, I wouldn't even go out and hunt. It looked like a FLIR and was junk IMO

Yes the IRAY 384 4x is too much to scan with, but I like 4x for shooting as I normally zoom in once to 5x with my reap when I get up on pigs.
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-06-2021, 11:00 AM   #453
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by gingib View Post
It was the Hogster 35. My entire point with thermals, is save up a little more and buy once cry once. Because if I had that scope, I wouldn't even go out and hunt. It looked like a FLIR and was junk IMO

Yes the IRAY 384 4x is too much to scan with, but I like 4x for shooting as I normally zoom in once to 5x with my reap when I get up on pigs.
that's an interesting observation .. i do as well zoom once on my reap-ir when i have the time to do it ...

besides the reticles at native magnification are too coarse some time to my liking ... some options being worthless... but i do enjoy the reticle itself switching color automatically when engaging a target of similar color
Old 04-06-2021, 12:31 PM   #454
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by imyomama View Post
that's an interesting observation .. i do as well zoom once on my reap-ir when i have the time to do it ...

besides the reticles at native magnification are too coarse some time to my liking ... some options being worthless... but i do enjoy the reticle itself switching color automatically when engaging a target of similar color
I do agree. I just like a little more zoom when shooting on objects running away.

I see videos of alot of people who like it zoomed out on 2.5x. I have tried it, but can't get myself to like it and have high success kills.

My biggest solo kill numbers are usually 5-7 on a group by myself.
Old 04-06-2021, 02:55 PM   #455
imyomama
Ten Point

Quote:
I ran mine last weekend for 2 hours on wifi and it didn't even budge from full ..

I screwed a tripod base ton a board to get steady footage .. and recorded on my phone .. worked surprisingly well .. posted a vid on it a few threads back i think AGM Taipan T-vision software to iphone recording - YouTube
used it again this weekend .. one thing to notice to save batteries , if you wifi to your phone, short pressing the power butter turns the screen off , but the output is still displayed over wifi , so i don't really know how much the wifi module uses in power vs the lcd display , but i would imagine battery life would be at least comparable with wifi on and screen off as the other way around..
Old 04-06-2021, 11:03 PM   #456
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings, TX

Quote:

Agreed that you should buy as much as your budget will allow. With that said some folks don't have 4k and they might only be willing to spend 2300 or 2700 and they can have a lot of fun and kill a bunch of hogs or varmints with it.
Fordnandez is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:11 PM   #457
Closetohome
Eight Point

Hunt In: El Campo,TX & Arizona and Utah

I posted my Thermion XG50, Thermion XP50, and Helion 2 XP50 scanner in the Classifieds if anybody is looking. Hate to let them go but between Covid and oilfield, money will be more useful elsewhere.
Closetohome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 08:59 AM   #458
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Closetohome View Post
I posted my Thermion XG50, Thermion XP50, and Helion 2 XP50 scanner in the Classifieds if anybody is looking. Hate to let them go but between Covid and oilfield, money will be more useful elsewhere.
Man hate to hear that.

How did you like the XG compared to the Thermion XP50?
Old 04-09-2021, 09:33 AM   #459
Closetohome
Eight Point

Hunt In: El Campo,TX & Arizona and Utah

Quote:
Man hate to hear that.

How did you like the XG compared to the Thermion XP50?
For 90% of my hunting I preferred the XP50...sitting over feeders within 100-150 yards or spot and stalk. For longer shots the 8x was about the max of what I would call usable...meaning safely identify a pig at distance with clarity. 16X was functional for spotting but the image pixilation started to become problematic. I also preferred the field of view at base mag on the XP more but that was more due to my style of hunting.

The noticeable difference on the XG50 is the image clarity...3x and 6x are stunning and 12x is very very usable extending my range and even 24x is nothing to sneeze at but it does start to pixilate.
Closetohome is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 07:31 AM   #460
texasforever
Ten Point

Hunt In: lavaca co.

Going with digital NV this time around. Stuck between the Pulsar Digex and the ATN x sight 4K. What says the green screen

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
texasforever is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 08:35 AM   #461
txheartshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Webb & Gillespie counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasforever View Post
Going with digital NV this time around. Stuck between the Pulsar Digex and the ATN x sight 4K. What says the green screen

I just bought a Digex and was able to try it out last weekend, and I absolutely love it. We had an ATN with us on another rifle, and there was no comparison in overall quality. Just my $.02. Everyone said that I should upgrade the IR, but for what I’m using it for I think it worked great.

txheartshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 08:39 AM   #462
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:

I know there are a bunch of happy ATN owners out there but I know of two guys that have owned them and both had issues and didnt have any luck with thier warranty department.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:41 AM   #463
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
I know there are a bunch of happy ATN owners out there but I know of two guys that have owned them and both had issues and didnt have any luck with thier warranty department.
Couldn't give me one for free!!!!

ONCE you have issues, GOOD LUCK is all I got to say

Plus the quality is lacking anyways
Old 04-14-2021, 08:50 AM   #464
texasforever
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by txheartshot View Post
I just bought a Digex and was able to try it out last weekend, and I absolutely love it. We had an ATN with us on another rifle, and there was no comparison in overall quality. Just my $.02. Everyone said that I should upgrade the IR, but for what I’m using it for I think it worked great.

How’s the daytime visual on the Pulsar? Only thing that attracts me to the ATN is the day time color feature, but I know once you have issues CS is like hell

Old 04-14-2021, 08:55 AM   #465
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Couldn't give me one for free!!!!

ONCE you have issues, GOOD LUCK is all I got to say

Plus the quality is lacking anyways
I personally wouldnt buy one.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:57 AM   #466
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
How’s the daytime visual on the Pulsar? Only thing that attracts me to the ATN is the day time color feature, but I know once you have issues CS is like hell

Look at the Sightmark Wraith HD 2x. $500 and has a great daytime mode. IMO this scope is the best dollar for dollar value of any night time hunting scope out there. Is thermal better? Absolutely but you will be spending 4 to 5 times the amount of money to get a quality thermal.

Edit: The daytime mode on the wraith is full color where as the Pulsar will be black and white. Not sure how good it does in the daytime but I think it is safe to say that the Wraith will be a better during the daytime. I would have to assume the Pulsar would have a better image at night but I am speculating.

Last edited by Fordnandez; 04-14-2021 at 08:59 AM.
Old 04-14-2021, 08:59 AM   #467
texasforever
Ten Point

Quote:
Look at the Sightmark Wraith HD 2x. $500 and has a great daytime mode. IMO this scope is the best dollar for dollar value of any night time hunting scope out there. Is thermal better? Absolutely but you will be spending 4 to 5 times the amount of money to get a quality thermal.

Had a thermal before, it was super nice but for how much I used it I can’t justify another one. Most everything I do would be from a stand 150yards MAX most around 75 but would like to bring the gun when I’m going after deer too without having to make a scope swap in the stand.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:04 AM   #468
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

I would run like hell from the atn. Brother had one and it gave him nothing but trouble. Buddy has a 4x wraith and it is a great little scope. He has no issues killing stuff at night with it even out to a couple hundred yards. Other buddy has a pulsar that is better than both but a lot spendier as well.

If getting up to between 1000-2000 for the scope why not run a cheap thermal like the new stimulus or what ever they are Calling it?

Sent from my E6910 using Tapatalk

Last edited by westtexducks; 04-14-2021 at 09:16 AM.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 09:34 AM   #469
jofus
Nubbin' Buck

Quote:
I would have to assume the Pulsar would have a better image at night but I am speculating.
The wraith is certainly a great scope. The pulsar digex and digisight n450’s have a much higher resolution sensor and very clear image, hence the higher price.
jofus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #470
texasforever
Ten Point

Went with the 4K wraith. Update y’all when it shows up and see how it is

Old 04-14-2021, 10:01 AM   #471
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

My Wraith 4K HD is as accurate and holds zero as well as any of my 24x long range scopes. Can have 4 different reticles saved for 4 different rifles. I have switched between it and the Sig Whiskey 5 at the range and fired the same loads to the same POI without ever getting out of my chair. QD mount base for the Wraith is a must have. The battery life is really long. Not sure how many hours I have used it day and night without recharging but it must be close to 8 hrs. total. When the battery did start to get low I noticed the resolution starting to fall off. The IR illuminator light that comes with it is not that good. It is good enough for 100 yd shots but that's about it for mine. An upgrade there is a plus.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 10:34 AM   #472
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:

Edit: The daytime mode on the wraith is full color where as the Pulsar will be black and white. Not sure how good it does in the daytime but I think it is safe to say that the Wraith will be a better during the daytime. I would have to assume the Pulsar would have a better image at night but I am speculating.
I think this a couple of years ago. I was using my Wraith HD 4x. He's approx 70 yds from the ground bound I was sitting in.
He caught me off guard. Took me second to get rifle up and find him in the view finder.

https://youtu.be/BRVadbE09qw
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 11:25 AM   #473
texasforever
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post
I think this a couple of years ago. I was using my Wraith HD 4x. He's approx 70 yds from the ground bound I was sitting in.
He caught me off guard. Took me second to get rifle up and find him in the view finder.

Oh that definitely looks useable. Went with the 4K just for some better image quality but that looks **** good already!

Old 04-14-2021, 01:06 PM   #474
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pushbutton2 View Post

Great looking video and super cool you can record the daytime hunts. 4x is too much magnification IMO especially for night hunting and even more so if you dont have a handheld scanner.
Old 04-14-2021, 01:30 PM   #475
Pushbutton2
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mc Culloch County since 2015 Van Zandt County since 2017

Quote:
Great looking video and super cool you can record the daytime hunts. 4x is too much magnification IMO especially for night hunting and even more so if you dont have a handheld scanner.
Yep
That's one of the reasons I sold that one.

I recently picked up the Wraith HD with 2X Base mag. just got to mount it and sight it in....
Pushbutton2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 01:45 PM   #476
TX03RUBI
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

That 2X is light years better than the 4X I had. The 4X was extremely narrow FOV, which is why I sold it. Optically it performed very well for the money.
TX03RUBI is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 02:01 PM   #477
texasforever
Ten Point

Well, got the email from optics planet saying 9-11 month delay on shipping. Anyone have one they’d want to sell?

Old 04-14-2021, 02:11 PM   #478
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
Well, got the email from optics planet saying 9-11 month delay on shipping. Anyone have one they’d want to sell?

Jason at Outdoor Legacy shows to have the 2x and 4x HD in stock. It does not appear that he has the 4k one. I strongly suggest you reaching out to him over Optics Planet.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/
Old 04-14-2021, 03:38 PM   #479
gonehuntin68
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Victoria county

Quote:
i guess that's what was bothering me .. it was $800 for the tm25-384 .. so even if in euros ...$939 us dollars is still way cheaper than $1795 ... for the same thing! so while it seems they are providing us affordable technology, we could actually acquire the same technology outside the US for 45% less..
Quote:
Jason at Outdoor Legacy shows to have the 2x and 4x HD in stock. It does not appear that he has the 4k one. I strongly suggest you reaching out to him over Optics Planet.

https://outdoorlegacygear.com/
X2 Call Jason at Outdoor Legacy and ask him about getting a better IR light for it as he has them and you will be glad you did.
gonehuntin68 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 04:58 PM   #480
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Anybody in here running the new thermion XM30 yet and have in the field thoughts? Was hoping to have a decent in-depth review with footage through the optic by now posted on the internet but can't seem to find anything other than one dude who posted a couple youtube videos a month ago. Their is of course the night vision show but I was hoping to see some actual in the field footage at some point.
Old 04-14-2021, 05:34 PM   #481
Lip
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever

Quote:
Originally Posted by westtexducks View Post
Anybody in here running the new thermion XM30 yet and have in the field thoughts? Was hoping to have a decent in-depth review with footage through the optic by now posted on the internet but can't seem to find anything other than one dude who posted a couple youtube videos a month ago. Their is of course the night vision show but I was hoping to see some actual in the field footage at some point.

Look up HANSETX on YouTube.

Lip is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 08:17 PM   #482
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post

Still a big fat 0 from anyone on the xm30 including Hans I check in at least once a month or so just to see what is out there and nothing yet.

Old 04-14-2021, 09:24 PM   #483
Lip
Ten Point

Quote:
Still a big fat 0 from anyone on the xm30 including Hans I check in at least once a month or so just to see what is out there and nothing yet.

Just realized the one he has titled XM30 is breaking news but all of the video in that one is XP50.
Old 04-15-2021, 08:08 AM   #484
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lip View Post

Be ready for a 45 min session of him talking

Sorry I had to lol
Old 04-15-2021, 09:03 AM   #485
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:

Sorry I had to lol
I actually really like the hansetx videos. Get to see in the field footage and he does some really great in the field looks at 50 100 150 200 yds so you can see what the optic will do in the field. Great reviews.

The blogs are ok but I am a visual guy when it comes to scope reviews. I don't want to be told how great it is I want to be shown how great it is.

Old 04-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #486
jofus
Nubbin' Buck

Hans’ reviews on “the late night vision show” are 45 minutes, but his reviews on his own channel are typically only 10-15 minutes.
jofus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-15-2021, 10:09 AM   #487
Lip
Ten Point

Default The 2021 Thermal and Night Vision Thread

Quote:

Sorry I had to lol

or learn how to scroll through the talking to the actual field video. Hans videos are usually more video than talk. The Late Night Vision Show is mostly talking. I enjoy listening to them but some obviously don’t.
Old 04-15-2021, 10:30 AM   #488
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
I actually really like the hansetx videos. Get to see in the field footage and he does some really great in the field looks at 50 100 150 200 yds so you can see what the optic will do in the field. Great reviews.

The blogs are ok but I am a visual guy when it comes to scope reviews. I don't want to be told how great it is I want to be shown how great it is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofus View Post
Hans’ reviews on “the late night vision show” are 45 minutes, but his reviews on his own channel are typically only 10-15 minutes.
Haha. Yeah I was just messing around. He seems like a great guy

I get most of my info from IG and reviews, videos, pics....Plus seeing the scopes in person is the best experience.
Old 04-15-2021, 01:02 PM   #489
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:

I get most of my info from IG and reviews, videos, pics....Plus seeing the scopes in person is the best experience.
In person is huge IMO and in person in the field at night is even bigger. I look at some of the videos from my thermals and I can tell you that in person it looks much better.
Old 04-15-2021, 02:44 PM   #490
muzzlebrake
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sterling County

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofus View Post
Both have a purpose. One is hawking a product to sell and the other is showing more of how it's used. I learn more from seeing and doing than I do listening.
No doubt Hans' videos took a ton more work and the reason they are much more helpful to many of us.
muzzlebrake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 01:09 PM   #491
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:

Quote:
In person is huge IMO and in person in the field at night is even bigger. I look at some of the videos from my thermals and I can tell you that in person it looks much better.
If yall can find some one willing to rent me one for a non absurd price about may-june ish when I plan on going out and killing a bunch again let me know. I don't know anyone that is running one at the moment so not like I can go get that time behind one to test it first.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #492
Fordnandez
Ten Point

Quote:
If yall can find some one willing to rent me one for a non absurd price about may-june ish when I plan on going out and killing a bunch again let me know. I don't know anyone that is running one at the moment so not like I can go get that time behind one to test it first.
The only person I know is who rents is Ultimate Night Vision. Not sure if they rent the XM30 or not. If you are on FB I would suggest you join all the thermal groups you can and be on the lookout for someone that is local to you that you can look through. Probably a long shot but better than no shot.
Old 04-16-2021, 01:14 PM   #493
gingib
Pope & Young

Quote:
Especially with a Trijicon. Video out blows!

Quote:
I am not sure of anyone who rents them besides UNV. I know myself and none of my buddies do haha.

I am sure you will spend $300-400 to rent one for the weekend. I wouldn't let mine go, much less for anything less then that
Old 04-16-2021, 01:44 PM   #494
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
The only person I know is who rents is Ultimate Night Vision. Not sure if they rent the XM30 or not. If you are on FB I would suggest you join all the thermal groups you can and be on the lookout for someone that is local to you that you can look through. Probably a long shot but better than no shot.
Quote:
Especially with a Trijicon. Video out blows!

I am not sure of anyone who rents them besides UNV. I know myself and none of my buddies do haha.

I am sure you will spend $300-400 to rent one for the weekend. I wouldn't let mine go, much less for anything less then that
So pretty useless advice to talk up how useful in the field and in person handling of the optic is right? That was my point. Everyone talks about how important that is but the only real way to get that is via videos, as these things are not common, yet anyway. Unless you just happen to know some one or live near a major metro area you are SOL. Me being in West Texas I have about a 0 % chance of getting to play with any optic before I purchase it unless I happen to have a buddy who has one which I do not. Even the guys I know that shoot a ton nobody out here is into thermals as there is no real need for it in the desert. And then no one is doing reviews on this particular scope for some reason or releasing footage of it. I can find lots of stuff on the high end stuff, the rattlers, and the bering stuff but this optic has just fell into a hole for some reason.

And I fully appreciate the video out is gonna suck compared to the live view, but ANYTHING at this point would be helpful.
Old 04-16-2021, 03:05 PM   #495
Fordnandez
Ten Point

I never said it was a convenient situation, I was makin the point that ideally if you are super concerned about the image quality then you would want to look at one in the field so you know 100% what you are getting into.

What you can do is look at any of the videos from the XM series. It is my understanding that all of them use the same thermal sensor/core.
Old 04-16-2021, 04:19 PM   #496
roughneck266
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apple Springs

Quote:
So pretty useless advice to talk up how useful in the field and in person handling of the optic is right? That was my point. Everyone talks about how important that is but the only real way to get that is via videos, as these things are not common, yet anyway. Unless you just happen to know some one or live near a major metro area you are SOL. Me being in West Texas I have about a 0 % chance of getting to play with any optic before I purchase it unless I happen to have a buddy who has one which I do not. Even the guys I know that shoot a ton nobody out here is into thermals as there is no real need for it in the desert. And then no one is doing reviews on this particular scope for some reason or releasing footage of it. I can find lots of stuff on the high end stuff, the rattlers, and the bering stuff but this optic has just fell into a hole for some reason.

And I fully appreciate the video out is gonna suck compared to the live view, but ANYTHING at this point would be helpful.
I have one. Unfortunately, I haven't done a video yet. I get off the rig in a month, if you want to come by and play with it, you are more than welcome to do so.
Honest opinion, for the money you won't get a better thermal. It in no way shape or form compares to my XP38, but I never really expected it to. The image quality would be much better if it had a focus, but that is what you give up in order to get in the market at that price point with pretty much every other feature of the XP or XG series.
I will be doing some hunting when I get back on land, so hopefully I will remember to do a video or two of some kills with it.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #497
Anon
Spike

Quote:
Buy it from optics planet, see if you like it, then send it back and buy it from outdoor legacy...OP has a 100% satisfaction guarantee...who knows if/when it will ever be in stock tho
Anon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #498
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughneck266 View Post
I have one. Unfortunately, I haven't done a video yet. I get off the rig in a month, if you want to come by and play with it, you are more than welcome to do so.

Honest opinion, for the money you won't get a better thermal. It in no way shape or form compares to my XP38, but I never really expected it to. The image quality would be much better if it had a focus, but that is what you give up in order to get in the market at that price point with pretty much every other feature of the XP or XG series.

I will be doing some hunting when I get back on land, so hopefully I will remember to do a video or two of some kills with it.
Will send you a PM. May be able to do some haggling with you to play with it.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:50 AM   #499
imyomama
Ten Point

well... looks like sellmark just got a shipment in .. after 6 month wait , i just received tracking info on my wraith 4k max ... they are trickling in! I really hope it's good!
Old 04-27-2021, 10:16 AM   #500
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Super Hogster put the spankin on a song dog Saturday night
Attached Images

Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top