No announcement yet.

Dewberries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was out at our place this weekend. As it turns out, all patches are at the end of their bloom cycles (I haven’t been able to get out for the last couple of months and I apparently missed them). However, upon closer inspection, I noticed the emergence of small green berries.

My sense is that they’re smaller than last year and there are definitely fewer berries on each plant. Without rain, they may never ripen to fruition, I’m afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
      I think mine were not established enough to survive, they were less than a year old. Plus being in a raised bed didn't help, severe cold on three sides of it I'm sure that the soil temp dropped enough to kill them.
      They will come back. We cleared a fence line with a dozer that was dewberries 90% of the way. Two - three years later we picked dewberries off that line. They are almost as hard to kill as Bermuda grass.

Mine are just now flowering too. I am fortunate to have a bunch of wild growing dewberries. Two years ago I picked 15 gallons of them, then froze them in 2 cups batches in quart sized ZipLoc bags. I just turned the last batch into Dewberry pie for Easter. I'm looking forward to picking another 15 gallons this year - if we get some more rain.

Comment

Most of Mine are a week past bloom stage. I have had rain every week, so lots of blooms. Should be a great crop for me.

Comment

Got a bunch flowering at my new house and putting on some small berries. We need a lot more rain

Comment

I’m noticing a lot of blooms from a distance, but I haven’t walked up to them to check for berries. My wife made 40 jars of dewberry jelly last year. I gave a lot away and I am still in the doghouse for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Grndchecker View Post
              I’m noticing a lot of blooms from a distance, but I haven’t walked up to them to check for berries. My wife made 40 jars of dewberry jelly last year. I gave a lot away and I am still in the doghouse for that.
              Can you share the recipe?

Comment

Picked one or two already, but today had several ripen up. Looking forward to having enough to make jelly.

Comment

Got a good crop again this year

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

We just walked through the pasture tonight, picking dewberries.

Comment

I guess I don’t understand them not surviving the freeze down there. Our winter is just ending and it’s been freezing *** cold this winter, but the berries are just starting to bud now.

Comment

Dewberries

Last year was horrible for my blackberries, too much rain I guess.

This year is starting off much different, lots of blooms right now.

The deer hammered the plants over the winter, hardly a leaf left so I wasn’t sure how they were going to do this Spring. I like what I’m seeing so far.
                        Last edited by JES; 04-08-2022, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Guess I will have to walk the brazos and look for some this weekend. I did a quick glance last weekend at a city park and only saw white flowers everywhere.

Comment

I am going to check my normal places on our land today

Comment

I need to pick some dewberries

Comment

I have them all over my place. If anyone wants to come pick send me a PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X