Whole home generator warnings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bassdeer View Post
    I'll just move to Key West. Tapping out.
    You will need a generator there much more than in Texas.[emoji44]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
      1. Do your research. This is a luxury item, not a necessity. Dont buy cheap. When you want it to work, it better work.

2. If they tell you 20kw, buy 25kw. They are notorious for selling too small of units that wont power everything.

3. Dont put all your eggs in one basket. Have a backup portable unit. I know several who have a generator and have never had an issue, and become totally reliant on it. They work until they dont, and you are then caught with your pants down. Imagine 2 days, no nothing, and it is 12 degrees outside, and you didnt prep anything because your 100kw generator that has always worked was going to be there for you....and its not.

What I have learned from this storm is to not be solely dependent on any one item. Have multiple sources of power, fuel, or whatever else it is. Dont get too comfortable with one thing. Dont abandon your house in the cold as it is much worse than the heat. In the summer time, I would leave during a hurricane because I figured I cant control much and all I lose is my food. In the winter, fight like heck to keep everything from freezing and busting and you are good.

I got lucky and doomsday prepped during for your new presidents inauguration and had what I needed to keep going during this storm. I'll buy a few more small items, but I like being diversified. Solar, 2 small generators, propane, natural gas, etc...

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

I just ordered (Saturday) a predator 3500watt Inverter...Harbor Freight...most folks call them "Honda Clones"...850$...we got power back though. Alls I know, and my wife said it best, "We have always been flippant about a generator purchase",,,not needing one yet, YET!
        Hurricane Hannah had us without power for 2 days, winter storm "Uri" had us out of power and freezing our you know what's off for 2and a half days. Ordered and done. Could've went directly to Store but, nopower and not open obviously. Ordered it, it'll get here next week. i'll be ready for the next loss of power when it happens...Hurricane season, if it happens. Hope all you snowbirds up there stay warm, get you power back soon that don't have it yet. Prayers up to you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
          I don't know about down there but up here most propane generators are set up to kick on every once in a while automatically for test runs. Staining a log house up here that had one and it would kick on about once a week or so and run just a bit.
          The huge backups at UW also kick on every so often to make sure they are ready when needed, they are diesel powered mostly.

Generac is the preferred brand up here for sure.
          Not sure about home setups but most of the commercial gensets are on exercise schedule to keep things working and lubed. If your looking at getting one after this I highly recommend getting auto transfer switch and capabilities for exercising these units.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            I don't know about down there but up here most propane generators are set up to kick on every once in a while automatically for test runs. Staining a log house up here that had one and it would kick on about once a week or so and run just a bit.
            The huge backups at UW also kick on every so often to make sure they are ready when needed, they are diesel powered mostly.

Generac is the preferred brand up here for sure.

That just means they will crank. They don’t switch over and do a load test. That should be done at least quarterly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Hey Brett good to see you old buddy.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                You will need a generator there much more than in Texas.[emoji44]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
                Dang sure will! Hurricane [emoji302] central.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
                  Why would they intentionally sell you a cheaper unit?
                  That's not what our Generac guy did. We had a survey on EXACTLY what was important to us and deciphered what we need for our [emoji537]. Have not missed a beat in 10.5 years running. Paid for itself probably the 1st year we were here. All my neighbors noticed and bought one also.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    Amen...be prepared in life IN GENERAL. For the most part, my main goal is to never EVER be dependent on others.
                    I was taught that my entire life! Bring it, we are ready!!! I may add a wood stove to my storage building project this summer.....or another Generac for that space and a water well.[emoji848]

Comment

Speaking of wood burning stove, anybody know where to find a good one that will fit in a fireplace opening? And do i have to do anything special to the smoke stack? Just install it inside the current fireplace chimney?

I will have a 12KW Champion on order soon. Hopefully i don’t get hit with too large a power bill and have to put off the generator a little longer.

We don’t have central heat, so 4 space heaters is how we kept the place warm all winter and it worked until now. Supposed to install a new central unit this spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                        Yep. I had 5 different plans in case something in another plan failed. Guess what? We made it to plan #5.

Read Extreme Ownership. It lays out pretty well how to prepare for everything. I hope Greg Abbott reads this book. Never seen a politician caught so far on his heels ever before.
                        Maybe plan 3 should be to make sure plans number 1 or 2 work.

Comment

Just ordered a 36kw Cummins, going to have a slab poured and insulated 20x20 small building built over it and the well. Will post pics when finished

Comment

If your looking at getting one after this I highly recommend getting auto transfer switch and capabilities for exercising these units.

That just means they will crank. They don’t switch over and do a load test. That should be done at least quarterly.

These are important issues. Transfer switch will keep you from loading power on the lines when workers are trying to fix them... Also gens need to be run and loaded with power demand to keep ALL systems functioning. I have an 8KW gen which I have had stored for a need. Well got it out just before storm and it wouldn't start, luckily I didn't need it but now I have to trouble shoot it to get it working again when it warms a little. Thinking of installing a breaker in panel so I can load power direct to panel when I need to. Deffinently going to do regular runs (every 1 to 2 months) once I get it up and running again...

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
                              Why would they intentionally sell you a cheaper unit?
                              I agree..... now selling you a 25kw when all you need is a 20 or 22kw is most likely the way it will go

Comment

Working...
                              X