Gonna make bacon

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
    I do mine the same way. Turns out great.

Comment

DK - are you still curing it? Need an update!!!!

Comment

Yes - still curing 14.5#. I have 3 basic recipes, a honey cure from Rytek's book, a maple-brown sugar, and a brown sugar & black pepper. Was just planning on waiting till I finish to give a one and all post.

I've rigged my offset smoker with a dowel for the hangers and 2 pellet tubes filled with hickory. Plan is to cold-smoke on a cold day/night.

Here's some teasers.
        Attached Files

Comment

Awesome!! That will work great!!! Just make sure it's done by the 19th!!!

Comment

I followed one of rytek kutas bacon recipes as well on a wild sow that had thick fat on her belly. Came out great.
            Pumped it with the brine cure and let it sit in brine for ten days. Laid about ten hours of hickory smoke to it and got it up to 122 degrees as ryteks recipe called for.
            Let it chill overnight and sliced it thick.
            You will not be disappointed. Post up pics when it’s finished

Comment

I start smoking tomorrow. And I've already picked up a small amount ~5# for next batch. that was all they had at central market. The central market pork bellies look way better than the ones I got from La Michoacana. Though I may still go back.

I've been so concerned with cold smoking on my offset that it never really occurred to me that it might be too cold. Thus, I may have a small fire in the box to get temperature above freezing.

I tried cold smoking once before on an electric smoker. It got too hot and ended up just hot smoking.

Comment

Working...
              X