Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Barndo Construction ?- Structural warranties / Engineered foundations / soil testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Barndo Construction ?- Structural warranties / Engineered foundations / soil testing

Quick question for opinions on our upcoming new construction (barndo - but the question is more general warranties)

1) Do you recommend and engineered certified foundation?
    2) Do you recommend soil testing?
    3) If metal building (barndo), did you have it wind certified or guaranteed?
    4) In your experience, did you have structural of any sort by builder...if so, how long?
    5) Structural warranty experiences

Getting close...just dotting "i's" and crossing "T's" I hope.
    Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

I copied a nearby soil test recommendation, actually I think it was Michaels. It was dig out and backfill 36". Foundation is probably the MOST important part of the build. Don't skemp there.

Comment

Depends on what city you're in or if you're not in the city limits. We are building in the city limits and we are required to have an soil test, engineer slab and a wind cert. design. I believe all of these are required by the state. Soil test is running be $1,600.

Comment

No to engineering if you know how to build a slab that won’t fail.
        Yes to soil testing to know what soil you’re building on to know how to build a slab that won’t fail.
        Yes to wind ratings but don’t go cheap on metal building. Use a quality vendor ie Mueller.

Comment

It all starts with the foundation!

I’ll be doing the same thing soon though. First home and I’m gonna build... I’m glutton for punishment.

Comment

The name of our company is Pre-Test Laboratory. My mothers reason for the name was that it's easier and cheaper to test and make sure everything is right before hand, than after a foundation failure.

Oh, were in the soil testing business, so of course I think it's necessary.

Comment

I’m my opinion yes to all. The build team usually already has these costs built in and if not, it is not much more to add. It is a red flag if the builder puts up any resistance to including these or adding them in.

Comment

Originally posted by 7sdad View Post
                Depends on what city you're in or if you're not in the city limits. We are building in the city limits and we are required to have an soil test, engineer slab and a wind cert. design. I believe all of these are required by the state. Soil test is running be $1,600.

The state doesn’t require anything. Doesn’t even have a building code.

It’s all up to your local AHJ which very well may require it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                  The state doesn’t require anything. Doesn’t even have a building code.

It’s all up to your local AHJ which very well may require it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Exactly. Had me scratching my head on the state comment wondering if I missed some new directive lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Clint View Post
                    The name of our company is Pre-Test Laboratory. My mothers reason for the name was that it's easier and cheaper to test and make sure everything is right before hand, than after a foundation failure.

Oh, were in the soil testing business, so of course I think it's necessary.
                    Love it! We'll be needing your services in 12-18 months.

Comment

Letting Gary iron out all the details 1st!

Comment

IF you use a contractor GET A COPY OF HIS CONTRACT and if you can't read all the words GET A LAWYER to read and explain to your satisfaction

voice of experience posting

Comment

What I have learned (via texts, internet searches and phone calls)

1) All home builders offer warranties on structural (10-25 years) - Appears all of them offer this based on the safety net of engineered foundations and soil sampling which means they over-engineer and warranty is hardly ever paid out
                          2) Most barn builders don't warranty foundations....thus when they moved into
                          3) Barndo's many/most don't offer structural warranties here either. I tested 10 builds and only 3 out of 10 had structural warranties offered by builder. All 3 had engineered foundations and soil samples.

Warranty itself may be a moot point if one makes the investment decision to ensure it's a engineered foundation and soil sampling is done.

Anyone have inconsistent experiences?
                          Proud member since 1999

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

http://discussions.texasbowhunter.co...highlight=GARY

Comment

Working...
                          X