Tripod Setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tripod Setup

Picked up a new Vortex spotting scope recently and now I’m needing a tripod to complete the package. Would mainly be used for range applications, however, it may at times find its way out to the field on a mountain hunt or something along those lines. Any suggestions or recommendations?

I do have a Primos Trigger Stick Gen 3 tripod... is there an adapter or something I could do to make that work?

Also, if anyone has one for sell around the Houston area let me know. Thanks.

bump for the night crowd

Comment

Hard to imagine that someone here doesn’t have an opinion they’d like to share

Comment

Really Right Stuff is the best option out, combined with an arca rail.

Comment

RRS, if your looking for top of line. If your just looking to get by, there are tons of them. How high you want it to go ? How low ? How heavy ? What kind of head on it ? How much you want to spend ?

Comment

RRS makes the best tripods on the market hands down, but they’re far from the best for his needs. A lighter tripod would be much better suited for just glassing and packing miles through the back country. RRS is amazingly sturdy, and as steady as it gets with a rifle. That’s wasted on just a spotting scope though.

Comment

I just picked up a carbon Siriu with a VA-5 head. So far it’s awesome

Comment

I was able to adapt my Triclawps to my mono Trigger Stick. I spoke with Primos several years ago about expanding their line on head options. They shot the idea down. Now, Bog Pod is out selling them.

Basically, there are two threaded options for heads. Just make sure yours has the right one, or both.

Comment

Those RRS sure look nice... never have heard of them before so thanks. Out of sheer curiosity and real seriousness, what’s the benefit of having a $1200+ tripod over a $2-300 unit?

Took a look at the Siriu line and I like those, definitely much more budget friendly.

I’ll have to look at the triclawps ... looks like their bread and butter is a hog saddle lookalike
                  Last edited by BobbyJoe; 09-24-2021, 05:56 AM.

Comment

Hog Saddle has a nice tripod middle of the line. Nice to shoot off of with ball head and arca rail.

Comment

I found the Triclawps does not have the fully padded area like the Hog Saddel does. But padding can be added to the Triclawps. Triclawps also has two different threaded holes on the bottom. So no matter what of the two standard sizes of threaded stud your tripod/bi-pod/monopod has, it will fit either. It also has a threaded brass insert on the side to attach a Go-pro camera, or light, or what ever devise.

Comment

Originally posted by BobbyJoe View Post
                        Those RRS sure look nice... never have heard of them before so thanks. Out of sheer curiosity and real seriousness, what’s the benefit of having a $1200+ tripod over a $2-300 unit?

Took a look at the Siriu line and I like those, definitely much more budget friendly.

I’ll have to look at the triclawps ... looks like their bread and butter is a hog saddle lookalike
                        I’ve run RRS and LeoFoto mostly. They both beat the cheaper brands by leaps and bounds. Extremely stable at distance. Less tripods are ok for shooting 200-500 yds, and sometimes more for the mid range products. I’ve made quite a few shots easily in the 800-1200 us range off a RRS though. While I think their tripods are top notch I think their ballheads make the most difference in stability though. If you don’t want to “need” a higher end tripod then I suggest you never try one. You’ll never know what you’re missing until you use one. I was perfectly content up until I made that mistake.

Comment

Working...
                        X