Tacoma Question - Dumb Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tacoma Question - Dumb Question

My 07 Tacoma is nearing 300K and my plan is to put a new engine in it the moment it makes a sound and continue driving it for another 5-10 years. I am not to savy on engines and so forth. This one has really become more of a toy at this point and not my primary driver. I would like to splurge and put something suped up in it. Can I do that?.. or does it need to be replaced with the same engine and I will have to modify the engine with upgrades? I'm sure this is a dumb question so go easy if so.

For the computer system Yota uses, youd have to put the same motor, but you could super charge it with a kit. You would also need to upgrade the trans and possibly the fuel pump as well.

Comment

You could definitely splurge on it if you wanted to and put in a souped up motor, tranny, and front end.

However if you plan on using existing wiring and rolling chassis, replacement engine would be easiest.

Guy on YouTube I follow has some awesome Tacoma builds. Don’t recall his name thought

Comment

If you modify and give the engine more horsepower you will find the next weakest link. If that makes sense? Transmission has to work harder, Rear end works harder, brakes, etc.... yes, you can do what you are asking one way or another. Just be ready for what comes next.

Comment

Uh, if your waiting for the engine to give some sign that it needs replaced, you might be waiting another couple hundred thousand miles.

Comment

or not mess up a good thing?

Comment

Have you considered putting bigger gears in the axles?

Comment

Toyota is a little harder to mod for power than chevy/ford.

But, If you went stock motor, added the TRD Supercharger, and new gears, I think you would be a very happy man for years to come!

Comment

Originally posted by Flex View Post
                  Toyota is a little harder to mod for power than chevy/ford.

But, If you went stock motor, added the TRD Supercharger, and new gears, I think you would be a very happy man for years to come!
                  Thanks. Seems to be the consensus from above post as well...keep same motor and mod. Like I said this is just a toy at this point and will become my mid life crisis vehicle. Yall don't even want to know what I have in store for this truck.

Thanks for all the responses.

Comment

Go back with the 1GRFE w/TRD supercharger.

Comment

Cummins R2.8

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                        Thanks. Seems to be the consensus from above post as well...keep same motor and mod. Like I said this is just a toy at this point and will become my mid life crisis vehicle. Yall don't even want to know what I have in store for this truck.

Thanks for all the responses.
                        You might as well add the supercharger now. It’ll swap over to the new engine (if you keep it the same) when the time comes. I agree. Supercharger and gears will bring that truck to life.

Comment

Put a diesel in it!

Comment

Funny you ask this I just rolled 300,000 miles on my 2003 tacoma no major issues just occasional maintenance and the regular oil changes, "whitey" is just getting broke in!
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2288.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	451.4 KB
ID:	24662152

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 11.02.10 PM.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	24662153

Name:	IMG_8834.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	137.8 KB
ID:	24662154

Comment

Originally posted by coachwhip View Post
                              Funny you ask this I just rolled 300,000 miles on my 2003 tacoma no major issues just occasional maintenance and the regular oil changes, "whitey" is just getting broke in!

[ATTACH]1063129[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1063130[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1063131[/ATTACH]
                              That's awesome.

My 2003 sits at 92k

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X