Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another BBQ ?

Hello Greenscreen,

I have cooked my fair share of briskets however I am looking at doing something different and could use some advice. I am cooking 6-8 briskets in a few weeks and then will freeze them to serve later in Oct. The briskets will be chopped and served as sliders for a big party.

Since I am chopping them do I still need to rest them before I prepare to freeze them and what do I do I wrap them in to freeze? Also, I assume I would reheat and then chop or should I chop before I freeze.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks
    Raleigh

When I am saving brisket leftovers, I will allow the meat to cool completely so as to maintain as much moisture as possible. Then slice and stack in vac seal bag. When time to reheat, just dump the whole, unopened bag into a pot of water on stovetop on LO. (Immersion Circulator/"Sous vide" is even better.) This is the best/easiest way I've found to store leftover brisket without tasting like leftover brisket, if that makes sense.

EDIT: Just noticed you said "chopped." If chopping, I'd do the same but mix with sauce prior to bagging. Angelos ships chopped beef like this all across the country.

Comment

I still cook my brisket same as always even when chopping. I would just chop and place in vacuum bags and put in freezer till needed. To reheat I just use a water bath at 150F place bags in bath to warm to temp and then use as needed.

Comment

When freezing chopped I've always chopped then vacuum packed it and froze. Same with sliced, but if I couldn't vacuum pack it then big Ziploc's and press out as much air as possible.

Comment

Cook, rest, and chop like you normally would. Vacuum seal and freeze. Warm in big pot of hot water. If chopping, there should be plenty of fat in the end product so shouldn't have any issues with drying out. This is how I usually do it and have never had an issue.

Comment

I would ask Dickies what they do

Comment

Thank you gentlemen

Comment

some sound advice!!

Comment

By the time you slice it and then chop, it will be cool enough to freeze. I like to put my chopped brisket or pulled pork plus a little au jus in a disposal aluminum pan, cover it with a double layer of aluminum foil and freeze it. Stacks nice and easy in a cooler. I take it to the deer/dove lease or to family member's house, put it in the oven or set it on the gas grill on medium to heat up and serve it in the same pan. Takes about 20 minutes. Comes out just like when I put it in the same pan the day I smoked it. I have stored it in a pan for up to 6 months for various reasons. Easy, simple, effective....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	239.9 KB
ID:	24661673

Click image for larger version

Name:	14390622_10210940520095556_1792313239025427499_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	24661674

Comment

I do the same as Smart but mix my sauce in before I freeze.

Comment

Genius plan by Smart. The master.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X