Two-wheeled Texas Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two-wheeled Texas Tour

I plan to take a weekend motorcycle trip sometime late this month or in the first half of September and am open on suggestions of where to go or to pass through. I’ll be leaving from work on a Friday afternoon around 4pm from downtown Houston and plan to return home to Kingwood on Sunday afternoon around 3pm. Probably a short 100-150 miles on Friday, anywhere possible on Saturday as long as I end up within 8hrs (400 miles) of home to get me back n Sunda. I’m not trying to do an Iron Butt or anything and maxing mileage isn’t the focus. I don’t mind some interstate miles to get me to some better riding though.

I think a realistic total distance is 1000-1200 miles, but I’d be just fine if it was much less and involved exploring the backroads at a lazy pace. I will likely just stay in hotels for the shower opportunity, though I do have a pull behind trailer that would allow for camping.

I think I’ll keep this trip inside the Lone Star. I was thinking of putting the hammer down and doing Hey 83 from McAllen to Laredo. But I also like just riding through places Leakey and Mexia and San Angelo, and I honestly prefer wandering along more than tagging a destination and racing home.

So, whatcha got? Any cool stuff happening in the next 4-6 weeks, and hidden places or good backroads?

now that sounds like nice ride... just hitting the smaller Fm roads and staying off the Big Highways.. thats what I love about Texas, so much to see, within 4 hours of home

Comment

Ok I think I have my route. Saturday is perhaps a bit ambitious but I can stop earlier and ride longer on Sunday. Any good spots to eat, things to see, or specific roads to ride along the way, I’m all ears. Probably going the weekend of 9/10.

Friday (250 miles)
      Houston > Roans Prairie > Jewett > Groesbeck > Meridian

Saturday (525 miles)
      Meridian > Stephenville > Brady > Llano > Leakey > Carrizo Springs > Freer

Sunday (329 miles)
      Freer > Cuervo > La Grange > Navasota > Conroe > Kingwood

Comment

My dad takes a few trips like this every year on his bike and I swear he enjoys planning the trips more than taking them LOL. He plans specific stops for every gas/meal/sleep spot and all are as off-interstate/historic as they can be. The only detours are for un-seen historical markers or other points of interest. I sold my bike in 2017 and regret not being able to take these trips anymore with him. The last we did together was to NW Arkansas for a 4 day weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by txpitdog View Post
          Ok I think I have my route. Saturday is perhaps a bit ambitious but I can stop earlier and ride longer on Sunday. Any good spots to eat, things to see, or specific roads to ride along the way, I’m all ears. Probably going the weekend of 9/10.

Friday (250 miles)
          Houston > Roans Prairie > Jewett > Groesbeck > Meridian

Saturday (525 miles)
          Meridian > Stephenville > Brady > Llano > Leakey > Carrizo Springs > Freer

Sunday (329 miles)
          Freer > Cuervo > La Grange > Navasota > Conroe > Kingwood

If you do that route dinner in the Beek

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

Comment

When you leave your work just take 45 north to Conroe then 105 east to Cleveland then 59 south to Kingwood. It should be Sunday by the time you get home.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
              When you leave your work just take 45 north to Conroe then 105 east to Cleveland then 59 south to Kingwood. It should be Sunday by the time you get home.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

https://www.facebook.com/cbillybs/
                Thanks for the suggestion! Dinner Friday night is now taken care of. I’ll be hitting that area right around dinner so it will be perfect timing.

Comment

Two-wheeled Texas Tour

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post

https://www.facebook.com/cbillybs/

I second this. I love eating at the sale barn. Burgers, catfish, chicken fried steak are my go to meals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye07 View Post
                    I second this. I love eating at the sale barn. Burgers, catfish, chicken fried steak are my go to meals.

Cheesecake pretty good too.

Haven't tried to the bbq in old union but I think we're going to rectify that Saturday

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

That is funny as all get out. I’m still laughing.

Comment

Just be careful
                        Took my last ride on 9 Jun 17. Distracted Drive around Kerrville. Air Evac put me in SAMMC.
                        8 broken Ribs and clavicle. Outa work for three months.

Loved To Ride. KEEP YER HEAD ON A SWIVEL

Comment

Holy crap this was funny🤣🤣

Comment

105 between Conroe and Cleveland is the reason for all my gray hair.

Comment

Working...
                            X