Imr4166

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imr4166

Anyone use for .223 .308 ect? Been reading up on it and picked up a jug.

Seems like a good varget substitute.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210604-190720_Samsung Internet.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.5 KB
ID:	25251170

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by jaime1982; 06-04-2021, 06:35 PM.

Your asking these guys including me about the powder linking a screenshot from a site with guys that have forgot more about the stuff than we will probably ever know lol. Some of those guys are straight up shooting Einstein’s, do a search on their and you will be very pleased

I’m messing with you but I’m serious about searching on their, I take what those guys say to heart. They know their stuff!!

Comment

Originally posted by Kong View Post
      Your asking these guys including me about the powder linking a screenshot from a site with guys that have forgot more about the stuff than we will probably ever know lol. Some of those guys are straight up shooting Einstein’s, do a search on their and you will be very pleased

I’m messing with you but I’m serious about searching on their, I take what those guys say to heart. They know their stuff!!
      Yep. Reading on there is why I bought the 8lb jug. Good folks on there that know their schlit.

I already have good proven data from them for my .223 soft points and my 150grain .308 loads. Hope the IMR4166 is as good as they say but im not worried.

Comment

Just can’t stop using VARGET in my .308…..sure there is other good stuff it’s a very forgiving cartridge to load for but the VARGET is just so **** good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks for sharing! With all the shortages I've been scrutinizing every powder I find to see if I can replace powders that I'm running out of. I haven't looked into 4166 but have seen it for sale.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Gotta be careful with that 4166 in older guns especially at max loads. Pressure can go sky high at the slightest error. Some BR shooters swear by it though.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
              Gotta be careful with that 4166 in older guns especially at max loads. Pressure can go sky high at the slightest error. Some BR shooters swear by it though.
              Thanks for your input. I dont have many older guns. As soon as I get to loading with it I'll report.

From what I read on it other than the actual size of the powder there are very few complaints. Main hosts will be bolt guns and plan to shoot 200yards or less in picked conditions. Im cool with lower pressure.

Comment

You will be OK loading .223 and .308 since you can't get enough powder in the case to exceed pressure the barrel will handle. I wouldn't use magnum primers with it in short fat cases like a 22-250 or 270WSM or the like or the pressure can get over 65,000 PSI easily and that ain't good.

Comment

Range day. I'd have to say that I'm pretty happy with the 4166 for the .223. (25grains) was my favorite load.

Made decent groups at 100yds without really trying so hard and no sled or front rest, just some crappy blocks.

.308 I'd say that I need to work on, maybe it was me or maybe I was just tired, also had bot eaten all day. Tried 3 loads and 43.5 was decent at 100 yards with a 13" barrel.

To be continued...Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_133004.jpg
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	24661796Click image for larger version

Name:	20210910_151847.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	24661797

Comment

.223 at 100 yards.

25.0 grain chargeClick image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210917-103112_Gallery.jpg
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	24662127

Comment

100 yards with a 13inch barrel.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210917-130532_Gallery.jpg
Size:	23.0 KB
ID:	24662130Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210917-122602_Gallery.jpg
Size:	41.5 KB
ID:	24662131

Comment

Nice!!! What’s that velocity looking like with that Shorty?

Comment

Originally posted by fish4food View Post
                          Nice!!! What’s that velocity looking like with that Shorty?
                          I didn't have a chrono so I was just looking to see if I could get anything to group with this combo. Hope to chrono them next time I go out.

Comment

What weight bullet were you using in the .223?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by MUZZYSLINGR View Post
                              What weight bullet were you using in the .223?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                              Just reg 55grain psp since I have alot of them. Wanted a varmint round or something to pop pigs in the head or neck. I don't body shoot them anyway. Click image for larger version

Name:	20210917_185801.jpg
Size:	49.5 KB
ID:	24662147Click image for larger version

Name:	20210917_185812.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	24662148

Comment

Working...
                              X