Lumber prices in future months?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mbbriggs05 View Post
    Lumber futures are up over 100pts in the last 3 weeks. OSB prices are ticking up in the stores as well as dimensional.

We are not back at low prices. I was paying $9/sheet for OSB in March of 2020 and the futures market was below 400pts it closed over 600 again yesterday. From what I am seeing, reading and talking to my buddy (Homebuilder) everything is looking like it is going to float from between the mid 500's and upper 600's for awhile.

That essentially correlates to: the current store prices should be the norm for quite awhile.

Other building issues are that Hardie products are still through the roof and they just announced that they are discontinuing several of their product offerings. LP has stated that they will no longer be manufacturing engineered lumber outside of wood I- beams and a few other select engineered wood products. Garage doors and Home windows (at least in SETX) have become extremely long lead items as well.

I really need steel to come down but I can't seem to find anything to give me a glimmer of hope that it will anytime soon.

This sums up the current situation for me in my area. Windows are a total PITA right now. As soon as my plans are approved by the HOA Architectural Board, I rush to order windows. I used to order them the day we poured the slab. Hardi also has my vendors on an allotment. Once that allotment is gone-start waiting or reselect something available. Lately Kohler is a total thorn in my side, but that is rumored to be labor related. It was refreshing to see lumber drop and to get OSB for under $20 a sheet, (Can't believe I just typed that. LOL) considering the whole freaking house gets wrapped with the stuff. Plus decking, arches, draft stops, etc. the stuff goes everywhere. I used to take 4 sheets and tie them together to make a trash bin. When the job was done, we threw them away with the final trash load. Now, I bump them to the next lot. HAHA Standard 16x7 garage doors have not been a huge issue, but go to a 16x8, 18x7 or need a large commercial sectional for a metal building/shop- your gonna be waiting...

Comment

Wouldn't surprise me at all with the state of everything in the country

Comment

yep prices have come down alot

Comment

Lumber prices in future months?

My rebar prices haven’t came down at all steadily going up. $4.40 a stick for #3 and $11 for #5. That’s up 65%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by KyleDean; 09-23-2021, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleDean View Post
            My rebar prices haven’t came form at all. $4.40 a stick for #3 and $11 for #5. That’s up 65%

Over the summer I was paying 1400/ton plus for bent rebar. Now I'm at 1200.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Has this effected the price of construction as a whole though? It seems like prices have still been going up (of course that may be labor-related too).

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                Has this effected the price of construction as a whole though? It seems like prices have still been going up (of course that may be labor-related too).
                I got a quote for building about 3 months ago

Custom - $175-180 per sqft
                Semi-Custom $155-$165
                Base level build $145-$150

March of last year I could have gone full custom for $140

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
                  Over the summer I was paying 1400/ton plus for bent rebar. Now I'm at 1200.

You must be using all domestic rebar then. I’ve stayed under 1200 a lift so far. That’s usually import though. I trade with rental one, ready cable, barnsco and McCoy’s’s. McCoy’s has been the cheapest the last month or two.

Comment

Originally posted by KyleDean View Post
                    You must be using all domestic rebar then. I’ve stayed under 1200 a lift so far. That’s usually import though. I trade with rental one, ready cable, barnsco and McCoy’s’s. McCoy’s has been the cheapest the last month or two.

Yeah it's all domestic most of the projects I have require it. Like to use barnsco they tend to be pretty good to us lately though I've had to use Suncoast PT just because they're the only ones that can give me shop drawings in a decent amount of time

Comment

I got a quote for building about 3 months ago

Custom - $175-180 per sqft
                      Semi-Custom $155-$165
                      Base level build $145-$150

March of last year I could have gone full custom for $140
                      I budgeted $350/ft. for ICF build. I would love to see it in the $200s

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                        I budgeted $350/ft. for ICF build. I would love to see it in the $200s
                        I knew that ICF was higher than conventional but I didn't realize it was that much higher.

Had a buddy that built one about 10-12 years ago and man you talk about energy efficient!

Comment

I knew that ICF was higher than conventional but I didn't realize it was that much higher.

Had a buddy that built one about 10-12 years ago and man you talk about energy efficient!
                          and much less on insurance. One guy I know pays 11k/year and the one with ICF, bigger house is 3k. On the coast, ICF is the only way to go.

Comment

Received this today from a trader group we get reports from every week:

OSB

Prices are still on a solid footing as buyers are picking up loads to meet growing demand. Order files at the mills range from next week to well into October. With the steady demand we should see prices continue to be up on Friday.

Plywood

Trading has been active this week as buyers sought coverage for upcoming needs and in some cases were having difficulty securing coverage. Mills are off the market in some cases and trying to regroup and have pushed order files into mid-October or further. We should see prices higher on Friday.

SYP

The market is chugging along and making small gains as buyers make purchases to cover what they need for the immediate future. Narrows are showing solid demand and we are seeing the wides start to get a little scarce with all the rain causing delays in logging. We should see prices up a bit as we close the week.

SPF

Mills are starting to build order files into October and firming prices as we go along. Some prompt loads were available on the secondary market, and those usually went quick; if you hesitated too long the load was gone. We should see prices continue to be up at the end of the week.

Doug Fir/Hem Fir

Buyers are replenishing, but not at the rate of previous weeks. Most were looking to pick up quick shipping loads and not willing to wait on extended lead times. We should see prices up higher as we end the week.

Comment

Originally posted by TxMedic View Post
                              The lumber market is down over 50%….it’s back to 2018 prices.
                              lol, the good ole days........wood is wood. It's ironic that it becomes more 'valuable' as they build more houses on top of where trees should be growing.

Comment

Lumber futures are up over 100pts in the last 3 weeks. OSB prices are ticking up in the stores as well as dimensional.

We are not back at low prices. I was paying $9/sheet for OSB in March of 2020 and the futures market was below 400pts it closed over 600 again yesterday. From what I am seeing, reading and talking to my buddy (Homebuilder) everything is looking like it is going to float from between the mid 500's and upper 600's for awhile.

That essentially correlates to: the current store prices should be the norm for quite awhile.

Other building issues are that Hardie products are still through the roof and they just announced that they are discontinuing several of their product offerings. LP has stated that they will no longer be manufacturing engineered lumber outside of wood I- beams and a few other select engineered wood products. Garage doors and Home windows (at least in SETX) have become extremely long lead items as well.
                                I really need steel to come down but I can't seem to find anything to give me a glimmer of hope that it will antime soon.
                                No doubt on the garage doors. My contractor ordered my insulated garage door at beginning of June. It still has not come in. 🤬

Comment

Working...
                                X