No announcement yet.

Need serious advice about dieing w/o a will

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To anyone without one: get one drawn up. We did ours while my wife was battling cancer. After she died the insurance money was with me within two weeks. It was easy peasy.

Comment

Testate laws? Better look into this if other's involved.
      Step-siblings.

Comment

FWIW, my wife and I have wills because theres lots of kids involved. But, in the event of just one or two heirs that agree 100 % on everything, why not just draw up a simple will saying something like "Sally has the authority to distribute my possesions as she sees fit" and have Peter witness it. No one will contest it, no one cares. Why give a stinkin lawyer tens of thousands of dollars, up to 40k as already stated? You aren't cheating anyone except a lawyer who gets part of your inheritance. Screw the lawyers. Instead of pointing out how dumb I am, why don't you point out where I'm wrong.

Comment

OoooKkkkkkk. If you're not on everything they own then you'll never get it w/o going through probate and what i said in my previous posts. You can't claim chit or sell anything. Do your research. You obviously haven't had to deal with it. Make up a will, you have gotta be kidding me.

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
            OoooKkkkkkk. If you're not on everything they own then you'll never get it w/o going through probate and what i said in my previous posts. You can't claim chit or sell anything. Do your research. You obviously haven't had to deal with it. Make up a will, you have gotta be kidding me.
            Hmmmm.....seems like I have a really good idea of what is needed to probate a will such as filing in one of 18 courts in 10 counties, making sure you file in the right court by checking with the county clerk, inventoring assests, paying debts, etc. Most of this is done by the executor anyway before handing it to a bloodsucking lawyer. A lot of people handle the simple estates with none or much help from a lawyer. Since it won't be contested, the validation process of the will will be easy.

Comment

As the OP stated there was no will and my experience is from no will.

Comment

That's why I said make up a will and save years and lots of money.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                  I bet there is a law or two against that.

Comment

FWIW, my wife and I have wills because theres lots of kids involved. But, in the event of just one or two heirs that agree 100 % on everything, why not just draw up a simple will saying something like "Sally has the authority to distribute my possesions as she sees fit" and have Peter witness it. No one will contest it, no one cares. Why give a stinkin lawyer tens of thousands of dollars, up to 40k as already stated? You aren't cheating anyone except a lawyer who gets part of your inheritance. Screw the lawyers. Instead of pointing out how dumb I am, why don't you point out where I'm wrong.
                    Let’s start with your Will described above being invalid.

Comment

If it's not contested, why not make up a will. No one will know different.
                      Wow!

So, the witness would swear that he/she witnessed the deceased's signature on the will that would be "made up" after he is deceased? Who will forge the deceased's signature? That is one place you are wrong because forgery is illegal.

Hmmmm.....seems like I have a really good idea of what is needed to probate a will such as filing in one of 18 courts in 10 counties, making sure you file in the right court by checking with the county clerk, inventoring assests, paying debts, etc. Most of this is done by the executor anyway before handing it to a bloodsucking lawyer. A lot of people handle the simple estates with none or much help from a lawyer. Since it won't be contested, the validation process of the will will be easy.
                      Actually, I don't believe you do. I think you are confusing the filing of the will in county records with actually PROBATING the will...and receiving Letters Testimentary from the Probate Court.

See above.

Comment

Wow

Comment

I don’t know why I’m drawn to this type of thread, but they never let me down

Comment

Ain't that the truth.
                            Originally posted by piercebronkite View Post
                            This is where people show their true colors.

Comment

Originally posted by Atfulldraw View Post
                              I don’t know why I’m drawn to this type of thread, but they never let me down
                              Probably because you know that the Green Screen Law Firm is ALWAYS gonna provide you with a bunch of wrong, but entertaining, reading material

Comment

Originally posted by atfulldraw View Post
                                i don’t know why i’m drawn to this type of thread, but they never let me down
                                lol

Comment

Working...
                                X