3d shoot scores

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree 100% with what Bisch said.
    3d archery archery scoring is much like golf to me and score variances from one course to the next can have a big impact on average scores. I've always been of the thought that if you can keep them all in the 8 ring, your basically staying at "even par" and any score above that is just a bonus. If you can get to the 8 point average per shot, for most courses your looking at being in the top 30ish percent of scores which is great.

I can remember starting out, my goal was to not lose or break any arrows, then it went to not missing any targets, then onto getting to the 8 average, then trying to go through a course without any 5's. Of each of these steps in my progression as an archer, I think all of them were equally as challenging to reach and looking back, reaching each of these goals was 98% mental. My biggest peace of advice is if you make a bad shot on target "5", try to figure out what mistake you made, then forget about it and move on to target "6". Likewise, if you make a great shot on target "6", forget about it and move on to the next target. I KNOW its extremely hard to do sometimes, but once you can break that barrier of not letting any prior shots you've made (good or bad) dictate the outcomes of future shots, then moving on from one goal to the next is much easier.

Comment

Originally posted by MedicineMan7 View Post
      I agree 100% with what Bisch said.
      3d archery archery scoring is much like golf to me and score variances from one course to the next can have a big impact on average scores. I've always been of the thought that if you can keep them all in the 8 ring, your basically staying at "even par" and any score above that is just a bonus. If you can get to the 8 point average per shot, for most courses your looking at being in the top 30ish percent of scores which is great.

I can remember starting out, my goal was to not lose or break any arrows, then it went to not missing any targets, then onto getting to the 8 average, then trying to go through a course without any 5's. Of each of these steps in my progression as an archer, I think all of them were equally as challenging to reach and looking back, reaching each of these goals was 98% mental. My biggest peace of advice is if you make a bad shot on target "5", try to figure out what mistake you made, then forget about it and move on to target "6". Likewise, if you make a great shot on target "6", forget about it and move on to the next target. I KNOW its extremely hard to do sometimes, but once you can break that barrier of not letting any prior shots you've made (good or bad) dictate the outcomes of future shots, then moving on from one goal to the next is much easier.

You know that’s something I tried this last shoot. I tried to get at least an 8 per target.
      If I didn’t oh well moved on. Bird brain …

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've spent decades shooting long range rifle and pistol silhouettes, fishing bass clubs and tournament circuits. Won eneough money to pay for two bass boats and a bunch of tackle and whatnot over thevyears. Even shot archery 3D a bit with compounds.
        Honestly I got burnt out. Got sick of dealing with spoiled brats throwing fits and accusing others of cheating because they got beat. Got sick of people cussing and whining because an animal marginally hit didn't fall or an arrow was called not cutting a line by the group.
        I shoot against myself. Sure an 8 average is respectable. And some matches I do that. Others not as well.
        But if your score is the most important thing to you at a shoot then I probably don't need to shoot in your group. Because traditional archers are some of the nicest people I've been around in competition situations and I enjoy the course, the conversation and the camaraderie a whole lot more when I'm not sweating my score.
        My real score is kept in LDPs and memories on the hunts. In the end the good time far outweighs a buckle or trophy for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
          I've spent decades shooting long range rifle and pistol silhouettes, fishing bass clubs and tournament circuits. Won eneough money to pay for two bass boats and a bunch of tackle and whatnot over thevyears. Even shot archery 3D a bit with compounds.
          Honestly I got burnt out. Got sick of dealing with spoiled brats throwing fits and accusing others of cheating because they got beat. Got sick of people cussing and whining because an animal marginally hit didn't fall or an arrow was called not cutting a line by the group.
          I shoot against myself. Sure an 8 average is respectable. And some matches I do that. Others not as well.
          But if your score is the most important thing to you at a shoot then I probably don't need to shoot in your group. Because traditional archers are some of the nicest people I've been around in competition situations and I enjoy the course, the conversation and the camaraderie a whole lot more when I'm not sweating my score.
          My real score is kept in LDPs and memories on the hunts. In the end the good time far outweighs a buckle or trophy for me.

If your talking to me You Must have not read My original post .

Comment

Originally posted by Bowhunter1994 View Post
            If your talking to me You Must have not read My original post .
            Oh no. Not speaking to anyone here.
            Just speaking to my point of view on worrying about score.
            I go to have a good time.
            There are some excellent shooters on here. But they are as non assuming, fun to hang with individuals as you'll find. Nothing like the attitude you see at compound shoots where you can't whisper while the shooter takes 10 minutes to line up, adjust and readjust, shoot then grumble and grouch cause he missed the tiny ring he expected to hit.
            I'm just not too concerned about how my score relates to others. I worry more about my consistency in maintaining good shooting form on each shot and if I'm having a good time.
            And TBOT shoot people tend to make that easy.
            The good time part.

Comment

I love shooting 3D, but I never keep score unless there's a lot of pressure to.

Comment

Haven’t shot in a long time I used to love it.

Comment

Is there any cards or sheets to use to determine where the different scoring rings are? I shot in my second ever 3D shoot Sunday and just shot as if I was trying to kill and a lot of these rings seem to be a lot higher and back then I would shoot on a live animal. I get why it’s needed, but are there reference sheets and are they allowed in a 3D shoot?

Comment

3d shoot scores

Originally posted by crc View Post
                    Is there any cards or sheets to use to determine where the different scoring rings are? I shot in my second ever 3D shoot Sunday and just shot as if I was trying to kill and a lot of these rings seem to be a lot higher and back then I would shoot on a live animal. I get why it’s needed, but are there reference sheets and are they allowed in a 3D shoot?

Your correct, if you about to kill you’ll average 5’s. I don’t know why they do this!!! So dumb IMO. I guess to save the foam ( for replacement purposes)

Last edited by Bowhunter1994; 09-14-2021, 09:59 AM.

Comment

3d shoot scores

Your correct, if you about to kill you’ll average 5’s. I don’t know why they do this!!! So dumb IMO. I guess to save the foam ( for replacement purposes)

They put the rings where they do to try to make the they’d last longer. 3D is a game.

OP, yes they do make reference cards with scoring rings marked on the targets. They will also hold your scorecards.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

That's a dang good point. Never thought about it but it makes perfect sense as to where a cut out fits better.

Comment

I like 3D for the pressure I feel on the first few shots of the day. It's darn good practice for making high pressure shots. I'm always pursuing higher average scores, but to be perfectly honest, I'll never be totally satisfied with anything less than perfection. And I guarantee I don't shoot to perfection, lol. Keeping score helps me track personal growth.

I try real hard not to be negative about bad shots on the course for others sake though. For me it's hunting practice, and a misplaced arrow is a wounded animal.. I choose where I want to aim when I draw on an animal anyways, so the ring location doesn't bother me.

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                            Heck some of us consider it a win if we don't lose or break an arrow.

That's how I score myself. If I come back home with at least half of the arrows I left with I'm good. Last time I went out I found one of my arrows from the time before. Still wound up one shy of what I started with.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                              That's how I score myself. If I come back home with at least half of the arrows I left with I'm good. Last time I went out I found one of my arrows from the time before. Still wound up one shy of what I started with.
                              I came back from one shoot with an extra! I have somebodies Gold Tip!

Comment

8.77 ave per arrow puts me at a 263 total for a 30 target course.
                                I came to that number from my ASA state qualifiers and the state shoot this year.
                                Six total shoots

Comment

Working...
                                X