No announcement yet.

Lumber Prices

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid, wild fires , hurricanes and low interest rates on homes. Everyone needs wood so they raise the market. People are still paying it

Comment

We pushed back building on our land in Harper for a year and it will be costing us an extra 32K in increased lumber and material cost. I feel your pain.

Comment

I was born hundreds of years late. But definitely prefer it before Spaniards arrived. I’d rather lance some Buffalo, chop a few trees, and live in a teepee. Price of lumber is insane, but I’m still building my house. Life goes on..

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
          It’s a combination of things. Long term interest rates are at historic lows (and have been low for a while). Which means that people can afford to build bigger houses, thus elevating the demand side. Then you have large corporations controlling the supply side, and they are setting the market price to take advantage of the demand side. And the consumer is caught in the middle taking it up the shorts.

Walk into any lumber yard, and their lumber prices are 30-50% higher than they were a year ago. Then, go find 20-50 landowners and ask them how much they are getting for their timber (saw logs). I guarantee you that you won’t find a raw timber supplier getting 20% more for his trees this year than he was last year. So a reasonable conclusion is that the saw mills and OSB/particle board plants are controlling the price and market. GP is basically a monopoly (in the south at least)
          This is pretty spot on

Comment

When you got something called "lumber futures" there's a lot of people in the middle trying to squeeze out there nickel by doing nothing...

Comment

I read that higher lumber prices are adding an average of $16,000 to the cost of a new house. I was in HD yesterday buying wood for a new shop project and was shocked to see they wanted $19 for a 1x6x8 piece of select pine

Comment

at least McDonalds prices have dropped.

Comment

Being on an East Tx timber lease right now is like playing Russian roulette.

Comment

U.S. housing starts, building permits accelerate

U.S. homebuilding and permits surged in December as historically low mortgage rates supported the housing market, but momentum could slow amid surging lumber prices and a shortage of labor.

Housing starts jumped 5.8% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.669 million units last month, the Commerce Department said on Thursday. Economists polled by Reuters had forecast starts would rise to a rate of 1.560 million units in December. Homebuilding increased 5.2% on a year-on-year basis. Starts totaled 1.380 million in 2020, up 7.0% from 2019.

Permits for future homebuilding accelerated 4.5% to a rate of 1.709 million units in December. Permits, which typically lead starts by one to two months, totaled 1.452 million last year, a 4.8% increase from 2019.

Single-family homebuilding, the largest share of the housing market, soared 12.0% to a seasonally adjusted annual rate of 1.338 million units. Single-family starts have increased for eight straight months.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/21/hous...mber-2020.html

What’s happening to Lumber Prices?

The boom in the building/remodeling industries turned the tables on the lumber industry. Mills and other processing facilities went from having an excess supply of wood to a shortfall in what seemed like a moment’s notice.

Ultimately, as the demand for lumber continued to increase over the past few months, supply has not been able to catch up, resulting in an increase in lumber’s cost by 340% or more in particular locations.

https://www.trinitybuildingsystems.c...umber-so-high/

Comment

Originally posted by texasdeerhunter View Post
                      It’s a combination of things. Long term interest rates are at historic lows (and have been low for a while). Which means that people can afford to build bigger houses, thus elevating the demand side. Then you have large corporations controlling the supply side, and they are setting the market price to take advantage of the demand side. And the consumer is caught in the middle taking it up the shorts.

Walk into any lumber yard, and their lumber prices are 30-50% higher than they were a year ago. Then, go find 20-50 landowners and ask them how much they are getting for their timber (saw logs). I guarantee you that you won’t find a raw timber supplier getting 20% more for his trees this year than he was last year. So a reasonable conclusion is that the saw mills and OSB/particle board plants are controlling the price and market. GP is basically a monopoly (in the south at least)
                      That’s sadly what I wanted to hear. They’re the ones that are making to money. I know my local guys have a standard markup. Now I have someone to be mad at.

Comment

Everything is going up. The price of metal is skyrocketing.

Comment

Well I can tell you it ain’t us small tree farm owners.

Comment

Made these gliders for my kids. $280 per glider for the cedar. On a good note, I have enough cedar to turn a bunch of pens [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by scarecrow View Post
                              Well I can tell you it ain’t us small tree farm owners.
                              Yea. I read on another forum a guy was offered 22 dollars a ton for pine logs.

We haven't cut in over 10 years and got more than that then

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                                Being on an East Tx timber lease right now is like playing Russian roulette.
                                May I ask what you were expecting by being on a Industrial timberland lease?

I can say, this isn't being caused by the timberland owners. High prices are being driven by the mills and all the middleman handlers. Im sure it has alittle to do with covid issues at the mills,, but I also think they are running at nearly full tilt and still can't keep up with demand thus driving prices up.

Comment

Working...
                                X