Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here, Matt!!!

Comment

This was so sad. I was shocked when I herd Tuthdoc died. I only got to meet Tuthdoc at this year's Bownaza. (I stole his name tag) It filled my heart with joy and sadness when I returned his name tag to one of his daughters. (Witch made her cry) I loved the story from one of John's brothers, about how on a Saturday morning his brothers would wake him up early and told him it was a school day. He would even end up on the curb in front of the house waiting for the bus. I also enjoyed meeting Mailman. I loved the story about the first time he met John, he backed up into the mailbox in the front yard! HA HA HA!!!!!!! The funeral was amazing!!!!!

Comment

I don't know how to end this day. It is so difficult to let go.

After the funeral the girls and I went to our family cemetery in Schulenburg where we continued to reflect on the day.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodbye John.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.6 KB
ID:	23886529

Blaine told me, "everytime I meet people from Texasbowhunter.com I gain a new friend. This time it was Mailman."

While today was emotional and sad, we also saw something that really impressed me. As Matt spoke over his beloved father in law, he seemed to grow right before our eyes. There's no question that he's ready to embrace a new role of leadership in the family alongside John's own brother's. As a member of the "extended family" who knew John only from his association with TBH, I found this very comforting.

Comment

I rarely if ever post on forums but I have to admit TBH has kept me entertained and up to date for many a collective hour. I apologize for taking and not giving back, but I can't think of a better way to loose my green screen cherry than by posting a few remembrances that I have of John. I may be long winded and I for sure type slow so I'll have to do them in segments starting with the first time I met John Lee.
          Some 20+ years ago I managed the archery department in a small sporting goods store on the east side of town near Channelview called Magnum. Some of you may remember. John used to frequent the store and hang out with the guys in the fishing department. At that time he was bass fishing hot and heavy and would come in and spin tales with the other fishermen. Even before officially meeting him I liked listening to his story telling from afar.
          One day business was slow and I guess he thought I looked bored so he walked over and started a conversation with me. He said that he had tried bowhunting some years ago but had gotten a bad taste of it and thought that he couldn't be proficient enough with the equipment of that time to humanely harvest an animal. He said when technology improved enough that even he could shoot a bow accurately he might give it a try again. Being a salesman I informed him that the day was here. I think he saw right thru me.
          A few days go by and he wandered over to the archery department again and said show me the best you have. I told him I could do better than that, I'd let him shoot the best I had and he could make up his own mind whether technology had improved. An hour or so later the sale was made with the understanding that I couldn't promise to make a bowhunter out of him but I could certainly make a bow owner out of him. He just cracked that big smile and snickered.
          As weeks rolled into months he had been coming in to shoot his bow and absorb information almost every day at lunch. He very quickly became very good and I began to realize just how dedicated he had become to his new sport. His fishing stories had now turned into hunting stories and I was now the one trying to absorb all I could. He talked of how he and his brother Bobby had done some guiding for deer for an outfitter named Robert Rogers in past years. Most of those stories are long since forgotten by me, but I do remember plucking a book from it's shelf one night that was titled The Professionals Guide to Whitetail by Robert Rogers. Inside was a full page picture of Dr. John Lee with a beautiful 160" buck taken in the early 1980s. He'd never mentioned it.
          Johns mannerism and attitude about everything from hunting and fishing to life in general was quite simply amazing and quite amazingly simple. I really looked forward to his daily visits. I learned from him all my thick head would allow in. We shared a few hunts together and even a fishing trip before we drifted apart and our daily talks became more of an annual after season phone call or a yearly dentist visit.
          To the Lee family, as I watched my friend being laid to rest today, a friend that was a small but very significant part of my life, I couldn't begin to imagine how much my grief would have to be magnified to match that of someone who had the pleasure of calling this man husband or dad or brother or as Matt called him, paw inlaw. He will surely be missed by all.

Comment

I really enjoyed reading all the stories and memories. Some made me laugh, some made me cry and Legdog, your photo and story with your daughter and TD’s nametag was very touching. Thanks to all for sharing.

I’ve sat down several times to type a little something about tuthdoc, but could never find the right words to honor him. Like many of you, I never met Mr. Lee in person. I PM’d him several times about deer management, protein feeding and axis deer. He was always prompt, precise and polite. I’m sure his passion for hunting, willingness to offer knowledge and his reputation on TexasBowhunter.com was a reflection of the way he lived his life, loved his family and his eagerness to help others. I’ve never learned so much from someone I never met and I have never seen someone so highly regarded among his peers (many having never met him) as John. On all the “age and score” threads I would always look for tuthdoc’s answer to see how close I was to his. If I was within +/- 9 points of his score I was elated! The TBH community lost a fantastic bowhunter, great mentor and great steward of our sport. The world lost a magnificent man. His family lost so much more. May God bless his family, I pray the Lord will comfort you all and I pray y’all will find continued peace in the memories and sport John was so passionate about. It seems he touched the lives of everyone he came in contact with. Truly one of a kind. He definitely made this world a better place.

Comment

Jdl

Let me first start off by saying I was born an only child, I had no concept of brothers, until I meet the Lee's. I meet them in 1990 and my life has been changed forever. There seemed to be an unspoken bond, a knowing between them that was strange to me. When I had no clue as to what was going on, they seemed to have all the answers.
              I was taken under their wing and shown the ways of life, I will never forget the lessons I learned by just watching the way they spent time together. I will always love them for that.
              I saw John get angry twice, once at the Blockhouse when the guys down the road were mouthin off at his brothers, and at a huntin show as this fellow started talkin about the training wheels on his bow...Both times I was glad I was on HIS side.
              John was the closest thing I had to a big brother and I will miss him. To Mark,Bobby, Matt,Jeff,and John, I miss ya'll and will see ya down the road....

Comment

As with everyone else, I would like to purchase a couple of those stickers for my bows to pay tribute and respect.

I met tuthdoc at nanza this year, shook his hand. We only spoke for a minute and I mingled on as it was my first nanza and I wanted to meet as many new brothers as possible in the short time I was there. I feel honored to have met him in person and will greatly miss his posts.

Thanks to all that knew him beter than the rest of us for sharing your memories as tough as it may be. May Tuthdoc Rest In Peace. I will continue to pray for his family and friends so they can find some comfort in their hearts.

Comment

Mary will announce how to get the TD stickers in the next day or two. Shes out of town till tomorrow. But they will be made available shortly

Comment

Awesome stuff guys. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

I have heard about TD's up and down method to age deer but I havent been able to locate any thread that explains it. Can anyone help with a link

Comment

Welcome, R.L. and Homey. Thanks for the stories.

Glad ya'll joined us.

Lotta Good Folks Here.

Comment

it would be neat if everybody went through their files and posted all the pictures of john lee they had on here

Comment

Good idea, and I got some real winners for Tuthdoc pics... Matt, whould it be possible to put the vidio ya'll made of John on youtube and link it here so everyone gets a chance to see what a great life and great person he really is?

Comment

Originally posted by Homeyllama View Post
                              Good idea, and I got some real winners for Tuthdoc pics... Matt, whould it be possible to put the vidio ya'll made of John on youtube and link it here so everyone gets a chance to see what a great life and great person he really is?
                              X2

Comment

Tuthdoc Video

I actually spoke to Mary yesterday for just a couple moments after the service, and I am going to send her a copy of the slide-show. She is going to post a link to the slide-show under the history section where they have all of John's threads archived...

Comment

Working...
                                X