Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-06-2018, 11:02 AM   #1
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Hunt In: Elkhart, Splendora, Laneville & Throckmorton
Default Child Support Question

My daughter is 18 and has graduated High School which fulfills my CS obligation according to how ours was set up. On top of that, she is getting married on January 19th. The way that I understand it, my payroll withholding don't automatically stop . I was told that I either have to have a lawyer to file the paperwork to stop withholding or get some paperwork signed/notarized and filed with the District Clerk in Montgomery County. I'm curious how many on here have been through this and how you went about it. If you used a lawyer, how much did it cost? After the paperwork was filed, how long did it take to go into effect?
Pineywoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:11 AM   #2
Grndchecker
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk County, TX

Mine was listed on my original decree. I provided a copy of that page to my employer and they stopped taking it out of my paycheck. I didnít need to get a lawyer.
Grndchecker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:13 AM   #3
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Dang, getting married?
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:16 AM   #4
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Dang, getting married?
Yah... They've dated for almost 4 years and he has been in the Marines for about a year now. I wish they would wait a little longer but they are both really good kids and are adults now so I guess it is what it is. She'll be moving to North Carolina with him at the end of January.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #5
Dillakilla
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County

My employer had to wait for a letter from austin. It took me calling austin and then they sent it thru pretty quick. By then several payments had been taken out but were froze in austin and check sent back to me for any overpayment. That was earlier this year.
Dillakilla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pineywoods View Post
Yah... They've dated for almost 4 years and he has been in the Marines for about a year now. I wish they would wait a little longer but they are both really good kids and are adults now so I guess it is what it is. She'll be moving to North Carolina with him at the end of January.
I wish them all the best.

wont be long we will be calling you Paw Paw Josh.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:18 AM   #7
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grndchecker View Post
Mine was listed on my original decree. I provided a copy of that page to my employer and they stopped taking it out of my paycheck. I didnít need to get a lawyer.
Hmmm. I'll check mine to see. Thanks
Old 12-06-2018, 11:19 AM   #8
Dirtymike
Pope & Young

Hunt In: granger, victoria

Quote:
If the Marine Corp wanted Marines to have a wife they would of issued them one.

At least that is what my Sgt told me.

Congratulations on the pay raise.
Dirtymike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:22 AM   #9
kenith_rowe2004
Eight Point

Hunt In: Weimer,tx (Colorado Co.)

Mine turns 18 the first of May, im gonna take a look at what mine says as well, thanks for the advice.
kenith_rowe2004 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:26 AM   #10
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillakilla View Post
My employer had to wait for a letter from austin. It took me calling austin and then they sent it thru pretty quick. By then several payments had been taken out but were froze in austin and check sent back to me for any overpayment. That was earlier this year.
Thanks... I was wondering about the over payment while it's all in limbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
I wish them all the best.

wont be long we will be calling you Paw Paw Josh.
Man I'm only 39! Maybe they'll wait a few years... or 10.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #11
Snakelover
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell Co., TX

If your employer received a form "Income Withholding for Support" from the Attorney General's office, then I think they have to continue withholding it until they receive something to the contrary.

But if there was never an order issued to your employer and you simply requested that your employer withhold it for your own convenience, then you can just go to your employer and let them know that you no longer need them to withhold the money or send the payments. That's what I did.
Snakelover is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:49 AM   #12
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtymike View Post
If the Marine Corp wanted Marines to have a wife they would of issued them one.

At least that is what my Sgt told me.

Congratulations on the pay raise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snakelover View Post
If your employer received a form "Income Withholding for Support" from the Attorney General's office, then I think they have to continue withholding it until they receive something to the contrary.

But if there was never an order issued to your employer and you simply requested that your employer withhold it for your own convenience, then you can just go to your employer and let them know that you no longer need them to withhold the money or send the payments. That's what I did.
I believe I set it up for convenience and don't think they received an order. That's definitely something to check on. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #13
Yelladog
Ten Point

I think it depends on who it was setup through. Mine was through some thing with the state cant recall what it was called. I had to go to the courthouse with the HS diploma since he graduated after his 18th. And get the judge to sign off the paperwork., Take that to the clerk and they give you a form to give to your employer to stop payment. Mine was immediate after I gave that the my payroll people. Look at your divorce decree it will have what court its from. You can call that court and ask them. I thought mine was through the AG but they looked it up and was something else.
Yelladog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:10 PM   #14
bow4my2
Pope & Young

Not to hijack the thread, but if you were to switch jobs would that cancel out withholdings from current employer, then lets say and you just decided to send payment to AG, would it stop then exactly when you wanted? Curious as I will be coming down this road as well and dont see myself at same employer when I come to it.
bow4my2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #15
PROD49
Eight Point

Hunt In: Junction Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grndchecker View Post
Same here but I thought Texas it stops when they graduate HS even if they are 18. I sent a copy of my daughters diploma and decree.
PROD49 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:17 PM   #16
tgil
Pope & Young

Quote:
My bonus son went the same route, except they hadn't dated that long. He is now out and they are expecting their 3rd child. I thought it was crazy for them to marry before he even had his permanent duty station, but they've made it work!
Sorry, no help on the original question, but congrats to them on their upcoming adventure!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
tgil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:21 PM   #17
sqiggy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Panola Co and Robertson Co

My ex went thru the AG's office when she up'ed mine. As soon as she graduated, they cut if off, even though my employer still kept taking it out. The AG's office would return the refund. I finally called the AG's office and they sent me some paperwork to give to my employer to stop taking it out. This was 20 or so years ago, but like others have said, it depends on how yours is set up. You shouldn't even need to hire a attorney. Just got to get all the right paperwork together.
sqiggy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:25 PM   #18
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

I had a lawyer stop mine. You are right it won't stop u til you stop it. It's just a matter of paper work going to the right places. Your work is one of them.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:28 PM   #19
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgil View Post
My bonus son went the same route, except they hadn't dated that long. He is now out and they are expecting their 3rd child. I thought it was crazy for them to marry before he even had his permanent duty station, but they've made it work!
Sorry, no help on the original question, but congrats to them on their upcoming adventure!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Thanks.. I hope it works out for them. They are both great kids and He treats my daughter well so I can't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bow4my2 View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but if you were to switch jobs would that cancel out withholdings from current employer, then lets say and you just decided to send payment to AG, would it stop then exactly when you wanted? Curious as I will be coming down this road as well and dont see myself at same employer when I come to it.
Yes. I have switched jobs a few times in the 14 years that I have been paying. Some places it was taken out and others I chose just to send it in myself. If the AG sends a withholding order they won't have a choice but to take it out.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:30 PM   #20
Pineywoods
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I had a lawyer stop mine. You are right it won't stop u til you stop it. It's just a matter of paper work going to the right places. Your work is one of them.
I may call a couple just to see what it would cost to have them handle it.
Old 12-06-2018, 03:32 PM   #21
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
I may call a couple just to see what it would cost to have them handle it.
I used someone in Houston and it wasn't expensive. I don't remember the exact cost, but it has to be done so....
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 03:48 PM   #22
pawpaw454
Four Point

Hunt In: Young Co

all i did was call my case worker with the atg and it was faxed to my HR that day and last payment was that week
pawpaw454 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 04:11 PM   #23
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Open to Offers

Mine stopped early because my ex screwed up. She was suppose to get a letter from the school saying my son was still enrolled passed 18 and wasn't going to graduate until June 2019. The school made a typo on the letter and it said he graduated last year. she didn't catch the error. The attorney general contacted me and said they had a refund for me for over payment. I didn't accept it because I knew they were wrong. They sent it anyway and now I have a arrears on the books. I sent the money back but it still shows that at one time i was behind. Total BS.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:34 PM   #24
mooney_ag
Eight Point

Hunt In: Erath County

You will need a letter from the school stating the completion of courses and degree directly to the ag office. They should know what you need when you contact them. Ther may be a form to send in as well.
mooney_ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:54 PM   #25
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
I used someone in Houston and it wasn't expensive. I don't remember the exact cost, but it has to be done so....
Probably a helluva lot cheaper than to keep paying.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:24 PM   #26
friscopaint
Ten Point

I work for city of fort worth and I'm finding out what they need, then finding out what AG/State needs. I know they've got the paying part down but not sure on the stopping. Definitely looking forward to pay raise in June.......
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #27
friscopaint
Ten Point

I was told schools have a letter prior to actual graduation that states X child is eligible and scheduled to graduate on X date. This is prior to actual graduation so hopefully avoid June being taken out.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:45 PM   #28
friscopaint
Ten Point

I'm contacting an attorney in the county our decree was in so its done correct and no delays in stopping it.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:23 PM   #29
nimrod
Ten Point

Hunt In: None

Just go to the court House you have to take their diploma and i think the high school transcript signed by school as proof then they will send the paper work to your employer no need to pay lawyer
nimrod is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top