Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-06-2018, 12:02 AM   #201
topshot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public land

good agents know how to sniff out a tire kicker, a bad deal before it has legs to take you down a 30-50 day road to nowhere, among many other things. I use one everytime I buy a house, the amount of time, gas, miles on their vehicle makes me feel like i'm stealing from them - even when the deal closes, especially in a sellers market. i must have looked at a hundred homes and put in over a dozen offers before i was able to close...and i wasn't being too picky, the market was a cash buyer only situation during that time...and it cost me and my realtor lots of time and gas.

selling my house, i'm happy to pay 3% to a buyers realtor, because i know what its like to search and search for a home, lots of paperwork, hours, and failed attempts. I however do not use a realtor to sell, but i do hire one to list my home on MLS for the world to see. nobody knows the difference either, i set up the appointments through a listing service and negotiate direct with the buyer realtor, and have the insider info on the home and its history.

most realtors only buy/sell 1-2 homes per year anyway...so i've heard
topshot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:27 AM   #202
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post

I would agree with this, most people who get their license are no longer in the industry after the first year.

I was almost one of those. However, I stuck with it and every year my production has increased.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 06:35 AM   #203
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
Originally Posted by topshot View Post
good agents know how to sniff out a tire kicker, a bad deal before it has legs to take you down a 30-50 day road to nowhere, among many other things. I use one everytime I buy a house, the amount of time, gas, miles on their vehicle makes me feel like i'm stealing from them - even when the deal closes, especially in a sellers market. i must have looked at a hundred homes and put in over a dozen offers before i was able to close...and i wasn't being too picky, the market was a cash buyer only situation during that time...and it cost me and my realtor lots of time and gas.

selling my house, i'm happy to pay 3% to a buyers realtor, because i know what its like to search and search for a home, lots of paperwork, hours, and failed attempts. I however do not use a realtor to sell, but i do hire one to list my home on MLS for the world to see. nobody knows the difference either, i set up the appointments through a listing service and negotiate direct with the buyer realtor, and have the insider info on the home and its history.

Its sad that people waste realtors time.. It happens often..
You are a smart man using a qualified realtor.....
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:42 AM   #204
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
So what is the obvious elephant?...that some agents are great and actually earn their fee?

Or that most agents "suck"? Well that's no secret. And a big part of the reason I do things the way I do---because I'm bound and determined NOT to be like most agents.
I probably shouldn't have said "most" agents suck. But the barrier to entry to your industry is so low that there are an unfortunate number of low-performers. Many people have had a bad experience with such an agent, and they're voicing that in this thread.

I'm glad you strive to be different.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 02:55 PM   #205
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

I have my realtors license and just hired a realtor to sell my house. Tells you how much I want to mess with the crazies!
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 02:58 PM   #206
waffles
Six Point

Hunt In: Milam County

You can list it on zillow, and realtor for free, that's what I did when I sold my house, saved the commission

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
waffles is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:42 PM   #207
Wits_End
Eight Point

MLS system and buyers not paying their own realtor fees is what keeps the racket going.

Trying to sell mine myself now but put in at tail end of summer market, recently took off to wait for spring. 3 offers so far but not exactly what I want. Nonstop realtors calling to sell it and not a single one can explain how they will do it different. One said he would start calling people, since when has anyone sold a house by calling random people. Several have said they could sell it immediately, then gave me the price which was 20k lower than offers I received, no poop sherlock. One said she could sell it, but then in same conversation said she had several just sitting.

I cant get over the ridiculous fees the seller has to pay.
Pay the flat fee to list on MLS, rent the key box, these are huge in getting looks, over time this will change, but for now it is what it is. Showing realtors dont want an ounce of hassle, so they have to have access the minute they want it Support showings, receive offer, agree on price and terms, send to title, collect your money.

Maybe they can sell in faster, but it isn't going to be for the price you want. A house will sell for the price it's worth. Unless your realtor is a contractor performing free work on your house they arnt going to add 6% to sell price.
Wits_End is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 04:11 PM   #208
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Here is why some people shouldnuse a GOOD Realtor.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
DFWPI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 04:14 PM   #209
mpotts
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
How did you get past the sticker shock of realtor commissions?

Weíve had our house up FSBO for a couple of months now and the wife is really wanting to hire a realtor. I just refuse to. We have no reason to move other than the fact we are looking for acreage. Therefore, my motivation isnít extremely high. (I want acreage, but not for the price of Realtor commissions).

You just chalk it up and say alright, Iíll pay it, or did you just stick it out and wait for a FSBO transaction to come along?

Disclaimer: I know realtors have to make money too. Iím just opting out at the moment.
list it on Zillow or some of the other sites My Uncle and Aunt sold there house in less than two months and paid ZERO in COMMISSIONS
mpotts is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 05:04 PM   #210
Hix
Ten Point

Hunt In: East Texas- Gregg Co., Cass & Marion Co.
Default Realtor Commissions

I sold my first home on Zillow FSBO to the first offer with in a few days of listing it with cell phone pics.
Sold it for $50k more than i paid for it 7 years prior and above average for the neighborhood.

Zero commissions paid, the buyer had an agent but she found my house online herself. I refused to pay her agent to help her buy my house and i set up my on contract and closing at the local title company. I didnít pay any closing cost either.

Stand your ground and sell what is yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited by Hix; 12-12-2018 at 05:07 PM.
Hix is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 05:05 PM   #211
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFWPI View Post

Surely that's not what they ran with????? Lots wrong on that page...
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 05:23 PM   #212
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Surely that's not what they ran with????? Lots wrong on that page...
No, we did not execute. Just got that in this afternoon.

DFWPI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 06:27 PM   #213
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
No, we did not execute. Just got that in this afternoon.

Did they even have an agent or just trying to wing-It on their own?
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #214
Wits_End
Eight Point

Quote:

Some people are dumb as rocks and probably shouldn't own a home. Their going to need someone to change their lightbulbs too.
Wits_End is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-14-2018, 12:39 PM   #215
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Hunt In: Denton County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hix View Post
I sold my first home on Zillow FSBO to the first offer with in a few days of listing it with cell phone pics.
Sold it for $50k more than i paid for it 7 years prior and above average for the neighborhood.

Zero commissions paid, the buyer had an agent but she found my house online herself. I refused to pay her agent to help her buy my house and i set up my on contract and closing at the local title company. I didnít pay any closing cost either.

Stand your ground and sell what is yours.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Thats a great deal but what you forget to understand is a realtor may have gotten you another 20,000 dollars and when you subtract those commissions you paid out you are still netting a bunch more. I see it all the time. The only thing that should matter is your take away and typically FSBO's leave quite a bit on the table but feel they made out like a bandit not having to pay "commissions"
ClearcreekDC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top