Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-15-2018, 05:33 PM   #151
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Sounds like an infomercial.

If she makes 400-800k working 10 hours per week doing something she enjoys what the heck does she make at her real job?
I would guess less than at real estate. However, the equity play at her day job has a huge upside. Very high in a privately (closely) held corporation and she will make retirement money (as in buy your own island for retirement) when there is an event/acquisition.
RR 314 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #152
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
The only way to make a lot of money as a realtor is to work, work, work.

That includes weekends. All of them.
absolutely not true. My best friends wife is a realtor in LA, she works 3 days a week at best and that may include 1 sat a month. She sells 1-2 7 figure homes a month in the LA beach cities and makes $400k+ a year

Not a bad part time gig. Granted she has a bunch of really rich connections and most of her stuff is referrals but still
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:34 PM   #153
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: TX

Quote:
Sounds like an infomercial.

If she makes 400-800k working 10 hours per week doing something she enjoys what the heck does she make at her real job?
I know one of these. Best guess they are born or marry into a certain social circle to be able to do this. You have to run with those type buyers/sellers to be able to do it.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:38 PM   #154
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Absolutely untrue. That is like asserting the only way to make a lot of money as a lawyer is to work, work work. I know lawyers and realtors who screw around on websites all day and make a heck of a living. If you specialize in luxury real estate, for example, you can do well without the requirement to work all the time. Same thing with lawyers, consultants etc. who have fine tuned their practice. I have a friend who has a full time job and assists buyers on a (very) part time basis. SHE HAS NEVER WORKED AS A FULL TIME REALTOR/BROKER. In fact, she has never had an office, or advertised her services--merely works for friends/referrals. She likes staying current on the market and enjoys the poker game. She helped us buy a couple properties and even listed a few, for 1% on her side, and averages 15-25MM in purchase prices (aggregate) for her buyer's per year. She makes $400K-800K a year mostly assisting friends/buyers and estimates she spends ten hours a week doing so in a very small geographical area. She also is routinely shocked about how poor many seller's agents are and how little they do for their commission (in the luxury market). She is genuine and is even more shocked at how little she does for her commission!

If you are dealing with volume and low dollar amounts you certainly need to hustle to scratch out a living. However, there are plenty of people out there enjoying a very nice work/life/leisure balance 3% per transaction.
Would you describe that as the majority or the very small minority in this occupation?

I also know a guy who "sells" cars but never sees, cleans, or talks to a buyer. He makes a great amount of money.

What is your point?
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #155
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

I must have stirred up a hornets nest! Thought it was deer season!!
Sleepy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:44 PM   #156
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Would you describe that as the majority or the very small minority in this occupation?

I also know a guy who "sells" cars but never sees, cleans, or talks to a buyer. He makes a great amount of money.

What is your point?

What? You don't get the point? I really shouldn't have to illuminate it for you, but here you go. . .

You stated, definitively, that "The only way to make a lot of money as a realtor is to work, work, work.

That includes weekends. All of them."

I asserted this is absolutely untrue and gave you an example. Your statement is false. Absolutely false. Point taken?
Old 10-15-2018, 05:45 PM   #157
175gr7.62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County,Harrison County, SW Kansas,

I'll put my two cents in....

It all depends on the market. In some markets you can stick a FSBO sign in the front yard and you can expect offers immediately. In others, you need help. I have been fortunate to live in an area where people are pounding down the doors to buy homes and have only used a realtor once. We were busy at the time and I let my wife talk me into it. Still pizzes me off to this day thinking about it.

As long as the market stays the same here I won't ever use another realtor again. Market changes..my opinion my change.
175gr7.62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 06:15 PM   #158
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
[/COLOR]

What? You don't get the point? I really shouldn't have to illuminate it for you, but here you go. . .

You stated, definitively, that "The only way to make a lot of money as a realtor is to work, work, work.

That includes weekends. All of them."

I asserted this is absolutely untrue and gave you an example. Your statement is false. Absolutely false. Point taken?
My "point" is that it is not normal or to be expected in this market place. Is that good enough for you?
Old 10-15-2018, 06:18 PM   #159
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
I'll put my two cents in....

It all depends on the market. In some markets you can stick a FSBO sign in the front yard and you can expect offers immediately. In others, you need help. I have been fortunate to live in an area where people are pounding down the doors to buy homes and have only used a realtor once. We were busy at the time and I let my wife talk me into it. Still pizzes me off to this day thinking about it.

As long as the market stays the same here I won't ever use another realtor again. Market changes..my opinion my change.
No argument with this
Old 10-15-2018, 08:04 PM   #160
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Why don't the whiners just become realtors since it's such easy $$$$ & get their Lic?? It's free, easy to pass, no annual dues, free health ins, Matching 401K & all other sorts of goodies!! Can't believe there aren't more TBH realtor supporting members!!

Hate these ignorant go get the pitchfork realtor threads.
I absolutely agree!
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 08:35 PM   #161
doghouse
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mills County

It is a sellers market right now. It will change and realtors will be like oil field workers in a few years. JMO!
doghouse is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 08:46 PM   #162
MIHunter
Pope & Young

Thumbs up .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Some see the value of hiring a Realtor, some don't. Keep in mind that 6% is usually split, 3 and 3. Knock out about 25-30% for taxes, some for various association dues, marketing/advertising, photography, sponsorships, fuel (ranch guys can burn a lot of fuel!), equipment upkeep, a little for retirement, insurance on everything, health insurance, ECT, ECT. It costs a lot to do what we do. It can be a high-risk-high-reward deal for sure. Oh ya, and when we take on a seller or buyer as a client, we do everything in the HOPES of getting paid...it's not guaranteed. How many of y'all are willing to work for someone for months and risk not getting paid a dime, and worse--actually losing $$?
Yes sir, agree 1000%
MIHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 08:49 PM   #163
MIHunter
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by manwitaplan View Post
Alright.

300,000 dollar house at 6% = 18,000
Divided by 2 =9000 each
Take the broker out and you may have 4,000 to 4,500 left over for the realtor.

2 houses a month = 8,000 to 9,000 a month.

Seems pretty legit for realtors.

This thread is a good read. I am the fsbo type and know plenty of people like me. I hear these horror stories about houses sitting for months with no action then the awesome realtor gets it done. I aint buying it.

Some Realtors are worth their weight in certain markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't forget, taxes, photo's staging, marketing, etc.
MIHunter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 08:55 PM   #164
Marco
Ten Point

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
Gotta love the realtors coming in a getting so ****** and defensive. No different than people posting question about best truck deals etc.

Thanks to Bobby though who answered in the post in a constructive manner instead of blowing up defensively and also shot me a pm. When we get ready to list Iíll give ya a call

To Sleepy, I didnít think it was bashing or attacking realtors at all, but as always TBH ruffles feathers!
I'm not a realtor. I'm in the AC business. So I hear the same thing about my trade
Marco is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:06 PM   #165
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County
Default Realtor Commissions

It would be nice if there was a scale of some sort for how much work was put in. I have sold 2 houses in my life and can assure you no more than 40 hours was put in to sell them and paid about 12k in commissions. I wish I could make 300/hour. I understand this is not how easy it is all the time but the system is flawed.

TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 PM   #166
BertramBass
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman and Childress Counties

Quote:
Some see the value of hiring a Realtor, some don't. Keep in mind that 6% is usually split, 3 and 3. Knock out about 25-30% for taxes, some for various association dues, marketing/advertising, photography, sponsorships, fuel (ranch guys can burn a lot of fuel!), equipment upkeep, a little for retirement, insurance on everything, health insurance, ECT, ECT. It costs a lot to do what we do. It can be a high-risk-high-reward deal for sure. Oh ya, and when we take on a seller or buyer as a client, we do everything in the HOPES of getting paid...it's not guaranteed. How many of y'all are willing to work for someone for months and risk not getting paid a dime, and worse--actually losing $$?
I am going to skip replying to the condescending children calling people whiners, calling posts idiotic, or explaining things with crayons to amateurs and millennials, lol and post on an intelligent thought out response...

The various association dues, marketing/advertising, photography, sponsorships, fuel, equipment upkeep, insurance on everything, health insurance, ECT, ECT are pretty much all... wait for it... tax write offs. So if after all these write offs, you still have to pay 25 to 30 % taxes, you are one off the best realtors out there. Or have a real chitty CPA.

OK. Go......
BertramBass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:13 PM   #167
BJ DUPLECHAIN
Eight Point

Hunt In: Wood Co

I've paid the realtor fees on several transactions. It is worth it big time to me not having to worry about paperwork, etc. All I do is show up at the closing with a check.
BJ DUPLECHAIN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #168
raider19
Six Point

Listing Spark is a great service. Very reasonable
raider19 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:14 PM   #169
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
I'm not a realtor. I'm in the AC business. So I hear the same thing about my trade
I’m in sales and get it multiple times a day. I 100% understand it’s the service your paying for but why would someone not want to have more money in their own pocket?

For those in a rush it probably doesn’t make sense to do FSBO but if you aren’t on a timeline and can try it for a month or two why not. Yes there is a chance a realtor MIGHT get you more but there is also a big chance you come out with less after the sale. When I’m selling and moving on I want to squeeze every cent of equity I can out to put towards my next house

Oh and HVAC people are worth their weight in gold in TX!
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:11 PM   #170
Captain39
Eight Point

Hunt In: Rocksprings

Sounds like many of you need to get your real estate license. I mean since they make $300 a hour and $400k part time. I have a lot of rentals and hate paying my HVAC guy $300-500 for about a hours worth of work; but I am Not going to be a HVAC guy, so I keep paying and hope I bought his favorite whiskey...…..
Captain39 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 PM   #171
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertramBass View Post
I am going to skip replying to the condescending children calling people whiners, calling posts idiotic, or explaining things with crayons to amateurs and millennials, lol and post on an intelligent thought out response...

The various association dues, marketing/advertising, photography, sponsorships, fuel, equipment upkeep, insurance on everything, health insurance, ECT, ECT are pretty much all... wait for it... tax write offs. So if after all these write offs, you still have to pay 25 to 30 % taxes, you are one off the best realtors out there. Or have a real chitty CPA.

OK. Go......
Man I was just trying to point out a few things people may not think of. No whining here. Like I said, some see the value and some don't. I really like and appreciate working for those who see the value in our services. It is a great responsibility that I don't take lightly.

MOST of the time an agent will net a seller more $$ than a FSBO will get on their own. MOST of the time a buyer's agent will save their client $$ versus someone choosing not to use an agent. I've seen it in the ranch game more than once where someone chooses not to hire an agent to represent them in an effort to save $$...and they end up paying a much higher price for a property that I KNOW I could have saved them a ton on---much more than what I would have made on the deal (some of these buyers are on here).
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 12:06 AM   #172
PaPhelps
Nubbin' Buck

Hunt In: ETX

PaPhelps is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 12:26 AM   #173
BertramBass
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman and Childress Counties

Quote:
Man I was just trying to point out a few things people may not think of. No whining here. Like I said, some see the value and some don't. I really like and appreciate working for those who see the value in our services. It is a great responsibility that I don't take lightly.

MOST of the time an agent will net a seller more $$ than a FSBO will get on their own. MOST of the time a buyer's agent will save their client $$ versus someone choosing not to use an agent. I've seen it in the ranch game more than once where someone chooses not to hire an agent to represent them in an effort to save $$...and they end up paying a much higher price for a property that I KNOW I could have saved them a ton on---much more than what I would have made on the deal (some of these buyers are on here).
I have no beef with ya brotha. Great articulated post. Good to see some left out here with some ethics. The other guys can have fun throwin darts up a cowboy tigers butt. Haha. The use of a realtor is very different for me and on a resale I would recommend a realtor. I do think a market adjustment is due in the future. Up to a 300k house at 3% is fair. At $1,000,000 seems excessive. (30k each for 60k) I dont think I bashed realtors in previous posts (without rereading them lol) Just responded to idiotic posts from others.
BertramBass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 12:38 AM   #174
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

My last house sold before it hit the MLS website, just from a sign out front. The realtor was horrific but got $7,400 ($14,800 but 3% went to buyers agent) for a couple hours worth of horrible work. Pizzed me off.
The house I most recently bought, I saw the sign in the yard before it hit the MLS website.
My realtor showed it once to my wife, then to me the next morning. I signed the contract that afternoon. She had maybe 5 hours involved in this process. She got $8,250 for maybe 5 hours worth of work. $1,650/hr isn't bad! This didn't upset me because I wasn't paying for it. She owns the company so she split this w/no one else.
She helped w/a build we were trying to do & agreed to 1% buyers agent fee since she wasn't involved @ all until closing & did absolutely none of the process except set us up w/the paperwork. She would have got $3K for less than 1 hour of work. Seriously, less than 1 hour!
In this market, all that should be needed is a sign or someone to put you on the MLS. Houses in my 'hood sell for more than asking price & usually w/in 24hrs. In this situation, it's foolish to pay 6%. If I sell this house anytime soon, I will do one of the flat fee companies, if any company @ all.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 12:54 AM   #175
jlinville
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co.

My neighborhood is similar to the one you live in. There are 3 or 4 houses in my neighborhood that are for sale by various agents (one of which does it for a flat fee) and they aren't moving either.
I sold my first house FSBO in 2002. We had a contract on it in less than 2 weeks. Even back then the title companies helped out with contracts and such. If I were to sell my house now, I'd do the same thing...FSBO!

Last edited by jlinville; 10-16-2018 at 12:56 AM.
jlinville is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 03:28 AM   #176
Bulldawg87
Four Point

Hunt In: Wilson, Kimble, & Zavala County, TX - Indiana & Mississippi

You can list your home FSBO on one of the paid FSBO sites and for about $500-$600, you can then have them listed it on MLS. Pay for the additional picture so you have about 20 pictures. Take GREAT pictures!

You get to list the buyer realtors fee, and list it for about 2%. It's then everywhere a buyer and realtor have to look for it. You basically become the selling agent it's easy and saves you a ton of money and you still get all the exposure.

The Texas contract is pretty standard. Mostly fill in the blank.

You can sell it just as fast as a realtor like this...

Sold my last one in about 1 week like this and had realtors calling me everyday wanting to show it.
Bulldawg87 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-16-2018, 10:12 AM   #177
Dushon
Ten Point

I sold our house myself because I couldnít find a realtor to back off the 6% commission. Houses in our old neighborhood sell their self. And I sold it for 20k more than 2 realtors said I could get for it. So I saved about 30k doing it myself. Wasnít hard at all, just some time on the phone.

Dushon is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 09:03 PM   #178
ttaxidermy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brady,McCulloch Cnty, Brazoria cnty, South Africa, Namibia

Quote:
I have no beef with ya brotha. Great articulated post. Good to see some left out here with some ethics. The other guys can have fun throwin darts up a cowboy tigers butt. Haha. The use of a realtor is very different for me and on a resale I would recommend a realtor. I do think a market adjustment is due in the future. Up to a 300k house at 3% is fair. At $1,000,000 seems excessive. (30k each for 60k) I dont think I bashed realtors in previous posts (without rereading them lol) Just responded to idiotic posts from others.
So how is using a realtor "very different" for you??
Why is 3% on a $1,000,000 sell excessive??
Isn't there a lot of "legal" involved in this stuff?
For the record I know nothing about real estate..
ttaxidermy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-21-2018, 09:10 PM   #179
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Quote:
Oh I know and I didn't take it that way. No worries here.
Old 10-21-2018, 10:26 PM   #180
Playa
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coleman

We just sold our house this weekend. We negotiated the commission to 4%. In all honesty she earned her $7k. We originally would have priced our house $10k less when we were thinking about doing FSBO. When the dust settled we sold the house for $14k more.

I’m not great at business math, but that seems like a decent swing in our favor when her commissions were only 50% of the additional profit.

If we had done FSBO sure we would have saved $7k... but our net proceeds are higher because we used a knowledgeable agent to help with pricing and negotiation. We sold our house the 2nd day on the market, to the 1st people who viewed it. I don’t think we would have had a problem getting offers, but it’s the pricing minutia and negotiation where she was worthwhile
Playa is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 12:21 AM   #181
Henry
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
But with a realtor, you really don't. That's the problem. Chitty realtors cost 3%. Incredible realtors cost 3%.

You usually find out which one you had in hindsight.
Dang, you guys are brutal
I'm a realtor and i'm happy to say that i have helped many families sell and buy a home.

The above quoted post is exactly why you have to ask around and see who knows a good realtor. I'd say that 95% of my business is referrals from previous clients.

As mentioned before, if you're keen on researching the process then go for it. Not everyone is, and one of the main things you do when you hire a realtor is you are easing the legal responsibility off of yourself. If you do it yourself, please be sure to know all the forms that are required of a seller, and which are required of the buyer. Disclosure will come back and haunt you if you don't do it right, it just isn't worth it. The money, time, and hassle spent will be loads more than the 6% you didn't want to pay.

That said, I am a member of a few fishing groups and have happily given members a discount/rebate. But i will never do it for 1% like someone previously posted, i did that when i was new, but after that one nightmare of a transaction...never again.

There's a saying...Realtors always work, and sometimes they get paid.
Basically, the 6% really helps offset all the transactions that fall through, or the clients who bail after you've spent time and money showing them homes or preparing theirs for sale.

Last edited by Henry; 12-05-2018 at 12:26 AM.
Henry is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 01:09 AM   #182
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

we haven't settled this yet?

I'm shocked.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 07:48 AM   #183
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atfulldraw View Post

I'm shocked.
Nope.

And I'm all for negotiating our fee. If some don't like the 6%, how about 7%? Maybe 8%? Let's negotiate!
Old 12-05-2018, 07:53 AM   #184
Reel cajun
Spike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
How did you get past the sticker shock of realtor commissions?

Weíve had our house up FSBO for a couple of months now and the wife is really wanting to hire a realtor. I just refuse to. We have no reason to move other than the fact we are looking for acreage. Therefore, my motivation isnít extremely high. (I want acreage, but not for the price of Realtor commissions).

You just chalk it up and say alright, Iíll pay it, or did you just stick it out and wait for a FSBO transaction to come along?

Disclaimer: I know realtors have to make money too. Iím just opting out at the moment.

Put it on Zillow. We did and sold it for over market value and had phone call the day after I listed it speaking for it. You will get more bites with more people seeing it online.
Reel cajun is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:28 AM   #185
RR 314
Ten Point

I have tried to stay away from this but I can't. :-) Realtors provide a good/great service to many. The offer knowledge and assistance filling out TREC forms. They get market exposure for their listings. There is a post upstream asking about a lot of "legal" involved with the transaction. Realtors cannot give ANY legal advice. They may have counsel available to answer those questions; however, they are specifically forbidden from giving legal advice.

When realtors (or some buyers here) state a buyer doesn't "pay" 3% to his/her realtor this is technically true. However, as applied, your realtor is EARNING (not taking) money assisting you that you would otherwise likely receive as a discount off the home/property you are purchasing.

ANYONE can tender their own offer and represent themselves (principal party). If you have a realtor friend run comps for you and discuss the marketplace this is very helpful. Realtors have knowledge through MLS that others simply cannot access. Whereas some reflect they "saved" X dollars without a realtor, this is difficult to quantify without a solid understanding of relevant comparable sales.

I am representing my parents (I am obviously not a realtor) currently in a purchase and the listing agent (actually a broker) has been great so far. Some agents are reluctant to even let non-agents in a property. Agents are protective of their field as are doctors, lawyers and Indian chiefs (feathers--not dots) and this is understandable. I did have a realtor friend do some legwork on the comps etc. and owe her for her time (I will pick up her kid from swim practice a couple times and we are even). The house is now under contract and after negotiating a solid purchase price, again with KNOWLEDGE from a realtor, my parents received almost $27K off of the negotiated purchase price by not retaining a realtor. Again, the listing agent has been great to work with. I have heard from other agents/brokers in the past, as recently as two weeks ago on another house that my parents looked at, that they could not "share fees" with anyone other than a realtor. While this is technically not true (if a principal), I told her that is fine, if THEY (my parents) submitted an offer I would not be not asking to share anything. I simply would be asking for an additional 3% reduction in the price. She asserted this was sharing fees. I, respectfully, :-) asserted she was sick the day they taught real estate in real estate school. I told her if I was "sharing fees", which I could not do, that would create a taxable event and certainly would not make sense in this context, and 1/2 of the 6% (3%) in her listing agreement with her client would simply be subtracted from the market value price and reflected in the negotiated contract price. Synapses still were not firing for her. Thankfully my parents chose the other house!

In short, with the KNOWLEDGE from a realtor, I negotiated a solid offer and ended up saving a chunk of money for my parents. I viewed the property, spoke with a realtor, assessed the comps with her, drafted the contract, attended the inspection (and reviewed the report) and have sent a couple emails. I have no need to attend closing with my parents. I have probably 10-12 hours in the entire process. Not bad for saving my parents $27K in the transaction.

Some of my best friends are realtors and brokers. :-) They spend a lot of time giving free "hill country ranch tours" and take a beating showing a lot of properties to people who likely don't have adequate funds to buy the ranches they show. It isn't a closing every day, or even week for that matter, and they work long hours. That being said, if I represent myself, or a friend in a transaction with their client, I certainly make sure they don't keep the entire allocation of fees. They still send me a Christmas card. Realtors/Brokers are people too. :-)

Last edited by RR 314; 12-05-2018 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:33 AM   #186
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

everything is negotiable.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:43 AM   #187
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Nope.

And I'm all for negotiating our fee. If some don't like the 6%, how about 7%? Maybe 8%? Let's negotiate!
Maybe you can explain to some here how long and complicated buying a property over 1 million can be
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:47 AM   #188
BitBackShot
Eight Point

Hunt In: Llano County

It totally depends on the market situation where the property is. If it's a tough sell, by all means, find the realtor that has the widest network and most powerful marketing tools and pay them the money.

There are times in my neighborhood where the day a home hits the market, there are 20 families lined up to see it and on day 2 everyone is to submit a "best offer" and they sort it out from there. Usually accept 2-3 backup offers, buyer has no leverage on repairs. A realtor isn't selling the house - the house is selling the house. You ain't getting 6% of my equity, you can have a fee to cover the paperwork.

Every situation is different. Every realtor is also different. About 80% of them are worthless mouth breathers, and the other 20% are very professional, helpful people. Gotta find a good one.

Good luck.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 11:10 AM   #189
meltingfeather
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie, San Saba & Kerr primarily

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Same old gripe. No one ever wants to pay fees. Then in their own career field they want the most pay. Smh. It is what it is.
lol this
meltingfeather is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 02:06 PM   #190
ClearcreekDC
Four Point

Hunt In: Denton County

This is a funny thread to read being a full time agent for that last 7 years. Its really interesting to see all the misconceptions posted. I think a lot of you boys needs to come jump on the bandwagon and get your license!
ClearcreekDC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 02:09 PM   #191
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearcreekDC View Post
This is a funny thread to read being a full time agent for that last 7 years. Its really interesting to see all the misconceptions posted. I think a lot of you boys needs to come jump on the bandwagon and get your license!
Man, I would have thunk you were a back cracker with your screen name.
Old 12-05-2018, 02:32 PM   #192
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

I'm on the Seller's side 95% of the time and have offered and paid anywhere from 2-5% to the Buyer's agent. Depends on what we listed, the market, and our needs.
Old 12-05-2018, 03:01 PM   #193
stickbowcoop
Ten Point

Hunt In: OH, PA, looking for a place in TX.

I will always use a realtor. When we moved out here our relator handled selling our PA house. We had a lot of drama because some buyers inspectors found things we did not know about. She handled all the repairs, getting an engineer to sign off (buyers bank required it) she did all the showings, etc. She earned her commission and then some. I have zero interest in dealing with all that plus the paper work involved. I'll gladly pay their commission.

Maybe I missed it but did Sleepy sell his house FSBO yet?

Last edited by stickbowcoop; 12-05-2018 at 03:05 PM.
stickbowcoop is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #194
35remington
Pope & Young

Hunt In: the dark

Quote:

I'm shocked.
What shocks me is that the TBH realtors haven't stated what I think is the obvious elephant in the room: hardly anyone would complain about paying a great realtor, because the client is getting a better deal. The problem is that lots of realtors suck, and it's hard to know your realtor sucked until after the deal is over.
35remington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:15 PM   #195
DFWPI
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jack/Young County
Default Right

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearcreekDC View Post
What I've found interesting, and I've only had my license for a year, is that 3/4 of the people that I went to training with are no longer doing work as a Realtor because of one reason or another. I had another call me last week, wanting to know if my Broker would carry her license. She has been a Realtor for a year, has worked for to Brokers and has not had one transaction as of yet.
DFWPI is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 09:36 PM   #196
100%TtId
Ten Point

Quote:

I'm shocked.
x2 I figured by page 3 we'd have at least one 40% contingency fee personal injury attorney post up about how realtors are price gougin' the poor home owners.

Funny how everyone thinks everything else is overpriced except their own stuff.
100%TtId is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 11:14 PM   #197
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BitBackShot View Post
About 80% of them are worthless mouth breathers, and the other 20% are very professional, helpful people. Gotta find a good one.

Good luck.
seems like I've heard this 80/20 thing somewhere else....

In my industry, we say that the 20 percent of us get 80 percent of the work.
Atfulldraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-05-2018, 11:22 PM   #198
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35remington View Post
What shocks me is that the TBH realtors haven't stated what I think is the obvious elephant in the room: hardly anyone would complain about paying a great realtor, because the client is getting a better deal. The problem is that lots of realtors suck, and it's hard to know your realtor sucked until after the deal is over.
So what is the obvious elephant?...that some agents are great and actually earn their fee?

Or that most agents "suck"? Well that's no secret. And a big part of the reason I do things the way I do---because I'm bound and determined NOT to be like most agents.
Old 12-05-2018, 11:25 PM   #199
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Quote:
Maybe you can explain to some here how long and complicated buying a property over 1 million can be
Shoot man, everyone knows it's easy, fast money! And I've had some others that make that one look like a cake walk...
Old 12-05-2018, 11:48 PM   #200
mww982
Eight Point

Hunt In: Texas, Michigan

I saw this thread when it first posted and didn't comment. My wife is a full-time realtor and I do it as a side gig and to help her out when she needs it. We pride ourselves in professionalism and making it a smooth transaction....we deal with the crazy so you don't have to. We have worked with a ton of bad agents, it makes it way more difficult on our end and sometimes do twice the work.

For teachers, police, fire, emts, nurses, and military we cut our commission when listing 25% and will rebate 25% of our commission on the buy side. This is automatic. As for everyone else, it's negotiable on what we will do. Every sale and situation is different.
mww982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top