Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-15-2018, 12:49 PM   #101
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecallarman View Post
What "it is worth" is what someone is willing to pay you the seller. The MARKET is actually is not some independent thing. The Market is actually made up of the buyers and sellers. If the market value of my home is $200k and I add $12k to cover realtor fees and someone agrees to pay me $212k, that is the market for my house. Supply and demand.
Man this is a real head scratcher. You call the market value (what someone is willing to pay) $200k. Then you throw fees on it and somehow add value? Now what someone is willing to pay is $212k. Let me break this to you but if someone is willing to pay $212k, then $212k is the market value of your house even when you were selling it for $200k.

Say you have two identical homes sitting next to each other. One is selling with a realtor and one is not. Using your crazy way of thinking these two homes have different market values. They do not.

To summarize, the market value of a home does not change based on whether or not you have a realtor. If you are selling a home and you add fees to the "market value" and the home transacts at the "market value" price + fees then your "market value" was never the market value.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:00 PM   #102
Birddog66
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
What "it is worth" is what someone is willing to pay you the seller. The MARKET is actually is not some independent thing. The Market is actually made up of the buyers and sellers. If the market value of my home is $200k and I add $12k to cover realtor fees and someone agrees to pay me $212k, that is the market for my house. Supply and demand.
Taking supply and demand into account, if your homes market value is 200k, you would be asking a buyer top pay above market value at 212k. This certainly can happen, but when the appraisal comes in at 200k or 202k, some modifications to the transaction will need to be made.
Birddog66 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:02 PM   #103
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
so why is it standard for the seller to pay the 3% for the buyers agent? They haven't done near the work that the selling agent does?
nobody knows why? They're working for the buyer, why is the seller paying their fee?
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #104
BitBackShot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Llano County

It completely depends on the market in the area you're selling. There are times when homes in my area have 20 people lined up to see a house the first day it's on the market. There is a short "submit your highest offer" process and then a bid is taken.

The realtors aren't selling that house. They're doing almost nothing. They don't deserve $60k in commissions.

On the other side of the table is that there are times when there are way too many homes on the market relative to interested buyers. If you can find a realtor that will hustle and market your property to the point of getting you an offer you might not have otherwise, they have earned every penny.

As with everything, situations aren't identical.
BitBackShot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:14 PM   #105
dannorocks
Four Point

Hunt In: Green Plaid

My last sale I was in a bind. Divorce. Realtor I used worked with a house stager and did a heck of a job. They had me put all my taxidermy away and took a bunch of pictures making the house look all yuppie like. I got my first offer in 3 days. If a realtor is really needed, ask around and try seeing who can help get the best price and sell it in a reasonable timeline.
dannorocks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:17 PM   #106
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

My wife works with both sellers and buyers, she has a lot of investment in each seller, almost to the point of losing $. Buyers can be easy, or just as difficult/ expensive considering fuel costs. It's not cheap to be a realtor, everyone stacks on fees, and realtors are basically self employed, if they aren't working and generating sales they aren't paid. She has considered joining a team in the past and they have some form of pay for team members.
Razorback01 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:21 PM   #107
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
nobody knows why? They're working for the buyer, why is the seller paying their fee?
That's a very fair question and not an easy one to answer. First off, it's the system that has been in place in Texas since the 80's or 90's or so. It's the same system that's used in most other States that I know about. My thoughts have been that the buyer typically has lender closing cost, and to put more cost on them would make it tough on buyers. I know it doesn't sound fair, but it's a system that has worked for a long time.

Typically, buyers agent does more work and has more time in the deal than the listing agent. But, it's for the buyer, not the seller.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:37 PM   #108
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
Man this is a real head scratcher. You call the market value (what someone is willing to pay) $200k. Then you throw fees on it and somehow add value? Now what someone is willing to pay is $212k. Let me break this to you but if someone is willing to pay $212k, then $212k is the market value of your house even when you were selling it for $200k. You just proved my point

Say you have two identical homes sitting next to each other. One is selling with a realtor and one is not. Using your crazy way of thinking these two homes have different market values. They do not. You are getting appraised value and market value confused.

To summarize, the market value of a home does not change based on whether or not you have a realtor. Agree and never said that. If you are selling a home and you add fees to the "market value" I believe you mean appraised value and the home transacts at the "market value"Appraised Value price + fees then your "market value" was never the market value appraised value.
To me, my argument has nothing to do with using a realtor or paying realtor fees. My argument is that market value is determined by what someone is willing to pay. I do agree with you in one respect. If I sell my house for $212k, then that is market value.
ecallarman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #109
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddog66 View Post
Taking supply and demand into account, if your homes market value is 200k, you would be asking a buyer top pay above market value at 212k. This certainly can happen, but when the appraisal comes in at 200k or 202k, some modifications to the transaction will need to be made.
I agree with you, especially since you have a clear understanding that appraised value and market value are two different things. As an example, after Hurricane Harvey SETX was in a sellers market. My $280k home (appraised value) had a market value of $350k based upon buyers paying well above appraised values for homes that did not flood. Actually had a few unsolicited offers in the high $300's- This is market value.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:44 PM   #110
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
To me, my argument has nothing to do with using a realtor or paying realtor fees. My argument is that market value is determined by what someone is willing to pay. I do agree with you in one respect. If I sell my house for $212k, then that is market value.
Outside of getting out a box of crayons and a Big Chief pad I don't think I can explain this anymore to you.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:46 PM   #111
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Man this is a real head scratcher. You call the market value (what someone is willing to pay) $200k. Then you throw fees on it and somehow add value? Now what someone is willing to pay is $212k. Let me break this to you but if someone is willing to pay $212k, then $212k is the market value of your house even when you were selling it for $200k.

Say you have two identical homes sitting next to each other. One is selling with a realtor and one is not. Using your crazy way of thinking these two homes have different market values. They do not.

To summarize, the market value of a home does not change based on whether or not you have a realtor. If you are selling a home and you add fees to the "market value" and the home transacts at the "market value" price + fees then your "market value" was never the market value.
At the end of the day your home is worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of selling it yourself or using a agent.

"Market Value" is just a baseline.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #112
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
Outside of getting out a box of crayons and a Big Chief pad I don't think I can explain this anymore to you.
Old 10-15-2018, 01:49 PM   #113
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by jht View Post
at the end of the day your home is worth what someone is willing to pay for it regardless of selling it yourself or using a agent.

"market value" is just a baseline.
Name:  market.jpg
Views: 257
Size:  17.6 KB
Old 10-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #114
John Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal

Market Value = Appraised Value

Appraised Value = 3 to 4 like properties sold in same area in the past 12 months

I might really want to buy a ranch for $400K but if sold comps only appraise said property at $250k unless I have cash no bank will lend me the money. However, if I have the cash to over pay for a property that its market value(appraised value) and plop down $400K then good on me. And what I just did was raise the neighbors "Market Value" because I gave them a legit sales comp and that will alter future appraised values and the "Market Value"
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 01:55 PM   #115
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
I think you mentioned before you were into real estate and finance. Maybe it was someone else?

Since most people finance their homes the banks tell you what your house is worth. The city does too for taxes but that number is usually way off as far a selling/buying guideline.

I think what were saying is the real value of real estate has to do with what someone is willing to pay for it/sell it for.

Can we get back to bagging on realtors?

Old 10-15-2018, 02:00 PM   #116
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Paul View Post
Market Value = Appraised Value

Appraised Value = 3 to 4 like properties sold in same area in the past 12 months

I might really want to buy a ranch for $400K but if sold comps only appraise said property at $250k unless I have cash no bank will lend me the money. However, if I have the cash to over pay for a property that its market value(appraised value) and plop down $400K then good on me. And what I just did was raise the neighbors "Market Value" because I gave them a legit sales comp and that will alter future appraised values and the "Market Value"
You gave them one non arms length comp (paying way over market) that will only be used if 3 of your rich buddies do the same in the next 12 months in the general area.

Then all your neighbors will hate y'alls guts come tax appraisal time.

Old 10-15-2018, 02:01 PM   #117
BertramBass
Six Point

Hunt In: Coleman and Childress Counties

Quote:
Looking at it from a business perspective, why wouldn't you add the 6% cost to the price? You don't think that all businesses don't have the cost of sales and marketing factored into their product's price? They do. No different in this situation.
Ding Ding Ding. We have a winner.
BertramBass is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 02:04 PM   #118
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Well then I would just add on 20-30% so I could make more money!
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 02:05 PM   #119
John Paul
Ten Point

Hunt In: Blackhill, McCoy, Encinal

Very true only gave the appraiser one but many times in the past 15 years I have gone toe to toe with an appraiser to take into account a good portion of that one comp because I am trying to sell a ranch down the road and I am trying to get as much money to my seller even if I know that other one sold way high. lol. Thats why people should get represented.. lol
John Paul is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 02:07 PM   #120
BertramBass
Six Point

Quote:
I could explain running a profitable business to you, but you would end up chewing on the crayons while scratching your head...
Old 10-15-2018, 02:10 PM   #121
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertramBass View Post
I could explain running a profitable business to you, but you would end up chewing on the crayons while scratching your head...
Do you people really not understand? You can't just add 6% to "market value" Holy moly you guys make me want to drink whiskey.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:20 PM   #122
BertramBass
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
Do you people really not understand? You can't just add 6% to "market value" Holy moly you guys make me want to drink whiskey.
If a seller wants to add 6%, so be it. If it sells for that price, it is the new market value, even if it is overpriced. (Rising market)

I build houses for a living. I add up my costs, add in my profit, add 7.5% (for roughly 1.5% escrow fees and the realtors 6%) and list the home. It is usually above market price and becomes the new market price in the area when it sells. (Cells, sales. LOL) Tried and true system in a raising market.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:23 PM   #123
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Lol. You're way out over your skis here bud. Trust me. ha ha ha
Old 10-15-2018, 02:41 PM   #124
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
Yes, I do really understand.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #125
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
If a seller wants to add 6%, so be it. If it sells for that price, it is the new market value, even if it is overpriced. (Rising market)

I build houses for a living. I add up my costs, add in my profit, add 7.5% (for roughly 1.5% escrow fees and the realtors 6%) and list the home. It is usually above market price and becomes the new market price in the area when it sells. (Cells, sales. LOL) Tried and true system in a raising market.
Market value is what someone is willing to pay. I think a couple people's point is you can not add 6% to market value and expect the home to sell in 24-48 hours.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:44 PM   #126
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Yes, I do really understand.
Is 6% a magic number? If anyone can just add 6% to the price to cover commissions why not just add 8% or 30%?

Or better yet add the 6,8, or 30% and sell it yourself? Which is what this whole thread is about.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #127
Birddog66
Ten Point

I think we are sparring over terminology.

Yes! A property is WORTH what a willing buyer will pay, and what a willing seller will accept.

FAIR MARKET VALUE(FMV) is the price at which the property would change hands between a willing buyer and a willing seller, neither being under any compulsion to buy or to sell and both having reasonable knowledge of relevant facts.

APPRAISED VALUE is an evaluation of a property's value based on a given point in time. The evaluation is performed by a professional appraiser.

None of this is an exact science, but can be analyzed and put into small ranges and in appraised value case a particular no. Appraised value does not always equal market value.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:51 PM   #128
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:

What would happen to this system in a non-rising market?
Old 10-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #129
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
Is 6% a magic number? If anyone can just add 6% to the price to cover commissions why not just add 8% or 30%?

Or better yet add the 6,8, or 30% and sell it yourself? Which is what this whole thread is about.
I am not sure what a magic number would be. Heck I am not even taking a stance for or against a realtor. I was only trying convey the difference between appraised values and current market values, and that current market value is whatever someone is willing to pay; Above or below appraised value.

You are right, the thread was about using a realtor or not using a realtor. The conversation went sideways when someone suggested that the realtor fees just be added back into the sales price, then some people balked. I was merely trying to state a case to the contrary.

Last edited by ecallarman; 10-15-2018 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:58 PM   #130
BertramBass
Six Point

Quote:
I do not build spec houses in a declining or flat market. I am too conservative business wise. I wait for a rise in foreclosures and then purchases them at the right price (for me). I then remodel the foreclosures and rent them out, depreciating them along the way. When the market shows signs of a rebound, I sell the rentals and purchase lots to build on.

I can't wait to hear the comments on that... LOL

Last edited by BertramBass; 10-15-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #131
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
I do not build spec houses in a declining or flat market. I am too conservative business wise. I wait for a raise in foreclosures and then purchases them at the right price (for me). I then remodel the foreclosures and rent them out, depreciating them along the way. When the market shows signs of a rebound, I sell the rentals and purchase lots to build on.

I can't wait to hear the comments on that... LOL
Sounds like a sound practice to me. JMO.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:01 PM   #132
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
sales would be slow, and then you negotiate.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:02 PM   #133
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

How about we all have a shot of whiskey. Whoever is buying be sure to leave a good 10%-20% tip.
Attached Images

Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 03:05 PM   #134
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
How about we all have a shot of whiskey. Whoever is buying be sure to leave a good 10%-20% tip.
The tip is already built into the price..

Agreed.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:20 PM   #135
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

This has become a repetitive, lower educated discussion.

Closest and very elementary comparison is if you want to sell your truck on the private market.

1. Park it in the driveway/road with a "For Sale" sign on it.
2. Write "For Sale" on the window with shoe polish or a for sale sign
3. Post it on Craig's List, Ebay, Classifieds, or other postings.

Question: Which effort sells quicker and likely closer to the asking price?

That's listing agent vs no listing agent.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #136
Rcole1310
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brackettville,TX
Default Realtor Commissions

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerplanter View Post
What gets me is the standard 6%, a realtor does nothing extra if your house is selling for 200k or 500k but gets lot more commission. It's still the same paperwork same marketing nothing different. My first wife was a realator so i do have some experience. I don't mind paying for services but why should i pay 30k in commission for not having to do anything special for it.

THIS^^^!! Im all for folks getting paid for their good work. But I list an $800k house and have to pay $48K??? Id like for a realtor to justify that. Im selling one of my rental houses now for $135k and this woman is hustling for that sale. 2 to 3 showings a week. No way an agent could do much more than what she is so how can you with a straight face ask me for $48k for the same effort? There should be a cap on fees. There was a time when high end houses in my neighborhood were on the market for 60 days max. Realtors were lined up to list them for a week, do a couple of showings and then hold their hands out for a fat check. If you listed FSBO they wouldnt even bring clients to see your property.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Rcole1310 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 03:22 PM   #137
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
The tip is already built into the price..

Agreed.

Wait what? Already included in the price?

Was she hot?

Old 10-15-2018, 03:24 PM   #138
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHT View Post
Wait what? Already included in the price?

Was she hot?

She gets hotter by the shot.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:27 PM   #139
JHT
Pope & Young

They all do....
Old 10-15-2018, 03:40 PM   #140
Lungbustr
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
I'm thinking we should just buy and pour our own whiskey, it will be much cheaper. Why have to pay the 10-20% to the bartender for doing something we can do?

Does the bartender pouring it raise the market value by 10-20%
Lungbustr is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 03:42 PM   #141
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lungbustr View Post
I'm thinking we should just buy and pour our own whiskey, it will be much cheaper. Why have to pay the 10-20% to the bartender for doing something we can do?

Does the bartender pouring it raise the market value by 10-20%

I'll pour for you for a flat fee

But to be fair they do have to have a TABC license so it's a special job
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 03:44 PM   #142
N.DaWoods
Ten Point

For sale by owner. Really easy if you have a good market. We did it no problem.
N.DaWoods is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #143
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Ask yourself...

If all realtors are getting as rich, printing money, and as easy as some believe...why isn't there a long line to go out there and be a realtor?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:57 PM   #144
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Ask yourself...

If all realtors are getting as rich, printing money, and as easy as some believe...why isn't there a long line to go out there and be a realtor?
There actually was. And there are a ton of realtors. Which is why so many people keep saying to hire a good one.

And I thought when you sold a truck you wrote "4 sell" in the window
Old 10-15-2018, 04:01 PM   #145
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Quote:
There actually was. And there are a ton of realtors. Which is why so many people keep saying to hire a good one.

The only way to make a lot of money as a realtor is to work, work, work.

That includes weekends. All of them.
Old 10-15-2018, 04:03 PM   #146
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:

Then play golf all week on empty courses for cheap fees.

Old 10-15-2018, 04:08 PM   #147
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:

This right here^^^^^^^^^
Old 10-15-2018, 04:31 PM   #148
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Quote:

There are a lot of realtors out there from time to time, due to the fairly low barriers to entering the profession. Many people try and jump on the train in a hot market; which is never sustainable in the long run.

With that comes massive turnover. Something like 75% of all new realtors leave the business within 2 years. That's why it's important to find a good one. There's too many fly by night ones that come and go.

The good ones that make it for the long haul either have well established networks or have a 2nd job to fall back on during market down turns.

I'm not a realtor. I wouldn't want to be one. Too many ups and downs. Not to mention, you are always on call and picking up the phone is essential. It's not that you are working 24/7; it's that you may have to head out or take care of something at the drop of a hat, no matter what time or day of the week it is. Closing deals is what gets you paid and if that means taking care of something when it's good for your customer as compared to your schedule, so be it. And yes, most folks like to look at homes when not at work, so that means a lot showings after hours or on weekends. Some folks like working like that, others not so much.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 04:38 PM   #149
RR 314
Ten Point

Quote:

Absolutely untrue. That is like asserting the only way to make a lot of money as a lawyer is to work, work work. I know lawyers and realtors who screw around on websites all day and make a heck of a living. If you specialize in luxury real estate, for example, you can do well without the requirement to work all the time. Same thing with lawyers, consultants etc. who have fine tuned their practice. I have a friend who has a full time job and assists buyers on a (very) part time basis. SHE HAS NEVER WORKED AS A FULL TIME REALTOR/BROKER. In fact, she has never had an office, or advertised her services--merely works for friends/referrals. She likes staying current on the market and enjoys the poker game. She helped us buy a couple properties and even listed a few, for 1% on her side, and averages 15-25MM in purchase prices (aggregate) for her buyer's per year. She makes $400K-800K a year mostly assisting friends/buyers and estimates she spends ten hours a week doing so in a very small geographical area. She also is routinely shocked about how poor many seller's agents are and how little they do for their commission (in the luxury market). She is genuine and is even more shocked at how little she does for her commission!

If you are dealing with volume and low dollar amounts you certainly need to hustle to scratch out a living. However, there are plenty of people out there enjoying a very nice work/life/leisure balance 3% per transaction.
RR 314 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 05:26 PM   #150
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RR 314 View Post
Absolutely untrue. That is like asserting the only way to make a lot of money as a lawyer is to work, work work. I know lawyers and realtors who screw around on websites all day and make a heck of a living. If you specialize in luxury real estate, for example, you can do well without the requirement to work all the time. Same thing with lawyers, consultants etc. who have fine tuned their practice. I have a friend who has a full time job and assists buyers on a (very) part time basis. SHE HAS NEVER WORKED AS A FULL TIME REALTOR/BROKER. In fact, she has never had an office, or advertised her services--merely works for friends/referrals. She likes staying current on the market and enjoys the poker game. She helped us buy a couple properties and even listed a few, for 1% on her side, and averages 15-25MM in purchase prices (aggregate) for her buyer's per year. She makes $400K-800K a year mostly assisting friends/buyers and estimates she spends ten hours a week doing so in a very small geographical area. She also is routinely shocked about how poor many seller's agents are and how little they do for their commission (in the luxury market). She is genuine and is even more shocked at how little she does for her commission!

If you are dealing with volume and low dollar amounts you certainly need to hustle to scratch out a living. However, there are plenty of people out there enjoying a very nice work/life/leisure balance 3% per transaction.
Sounds like an infomercial.

If she makes 400-800k working 10 hours per week doing something she enjoys what the heck does she make at her real job?