Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 10-14-2018, 10:46 PM   #51
JLivi1224
Ten Point

Hunt In: Public

As always, you get what you pay for. Know your limitations. What are you good at? If your task doesn’t fall under something you’re good at, pay a professional to do it for you. Stay in your lane, gentlemen
JLivi1224 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 10:49 PM   #52
cbd10pt
Ten Point

Hunt In: looking for new places

The trick is getting it on har at the right price. Some realtors will get it on har for a fee.
cbd10pt is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 10:56 PM   #53
Etxbuckman
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Same old gripe. No one ever wants to pay fees. Then in their own career field they want the most pay. Smh. It is what it is.
This. I also love how people lament the loss of the mom and pop shops while they’re ordering things from Amazon.

As far as realtors go most folks don’t consider half of that 6% goes to the buyers agent, so right off the bat the listing agent is giving away 50% of that money.
Etxbuckman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:09 PM   #54
JayB
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cass County

The part that gets me, is buyers want part of the agents commission also. How about if someone came to your business and traded with you then come payday, they want part of your paycheck.

I guess it is true EVERYTHING is negotiable.

.....and God Bless America.
JayB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #55
manwitaplan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
Funny thing to me is realtors make 6% split between buyers and sellers agent plus two brokers getting a small cut of that plus expenses. Not sure of too many business that operate on 3% margins

Alright.

300,000 dollar house at 6% = 18,000
Divided by 2 =9000 each
Take the broker out and you may have 4,000 to 4,500 left over for the realtor.

2 houses a month = 8,000 to 9,000 a month.

Seems pretty legit for realtors.

This thread is a good read. I am the fsbo type and know plenty of people like me. I hear these horror stories about houses sitting for months with no action then the awesome realtor gets it done. I aint buying it.

Some Realtors are worth their weight in certain markets.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
manwitaplan is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:16 PM   #56
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp County, Rusk County, Smith County, Kansas

Quote:
Originally Posted by trophy8 View Post
My mom owns a real estate company in Leander. If you knew the work that goes on with it youíd understand. You either want to sell it or you donít. But the realtor fee is worth it for a good one. Remember you get what you pay for as well when youíre shopping around for the cheapest. Just like your pay, you think youíre worth every dollar and should be able to prove it, so can a good realtor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Why don't the whiners just become realtors since it's such easy $$$$ & get their Lic?? It's free, easy to pass, no annual dues, free health ins, Matching 401K & all other sorts of goodies!! Can't believe there aren't more TBH realtor supporting members!!

Hate these ignorant go get the pitchfork realtor threads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Some see the value of hiring a Realtor, some don't. Keep in mind that 6% is usually split, 3 and 3. Knock out about 25-30% for taxes, some for various association dues, marketing/advertising, photography, sponsorships, fuel (ranch guys can burn a lot of fuel!), equipment upkeep, a little for retirement, insurance on everything, health insurance, ECT, ECT. It costs a lot to do what we do. It can be a high-risk-high-reward deal for sure. Oh ya, and when we take on a seller or buyer as a client, we do everything in the HOPES of getting paid...it's not guaranteed. How many of y'all are willing to work for someone for months and risk not getting paid a dime, and worse--actually losing $$?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marco View Post
Same old gripe. No one ever wants to pay fees. Then in their own career field they want the most pay. Smh. It is what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Etxbuckman View Post

This. I also love how people lament the loss of the mom and pop shops while theyíre ordering things from Amazon.

As far as realtors go most folks donít consider half of that 6% goes to the buyers agent, so right off the bat the listing agent is giving away 50% of that money.

First off, I don't want anybody thinking I'm bashing realtors. I completely understand their job, what they do, and the time/money involved. I know how it all works. They've got to make a living also. However, it's my option to decide whether or not I want to go that route. Just started the thread to see what other folks are doing/have done. I apologize if I came off in a negative manner towards realtors.
Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:24 PM   #57
Acameron52
Ten Point

Hunt In: Coleman

Well worth it IMO. I donít mind paying for the ease.
Acameron52 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:25 PM   #58
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Jack/Coleman/Henderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
First off, I don't want anybody thinking I'm bashing realtors. I completely understand their job, what they do, and the time/money involved. I know how it all works. They've got to make a living also. However, it's my option to decide whether or not I want to go that route. Just started the thread to see what other folks are doing/have done. I apologize if I came off in a negative manner towards realtors.
You meanie! How dare you!

Actually some good info in this thread!
Antlers86 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:28 PM   #59
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlers86 View Post
You meanie! How dare you!

Actually some good info in this thread!
Anybody that smarts off to me gets put on the blacklist for never receiving my screenshot of Ragin's TBH exit!
Old 10-14-2018, 11:31 PM   #60
tigerscowboy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Birds @ Eagle Lake. Elk, Pronghorn, Nigai, Carribou, Deer @ TX, CO, MO, WY, & Alaska. Bass TX & MO.

Some will never understand marketing, exposure to the market, and working for your sale.

That will never change.

Commit 3% of profit to another 8 to 15% on your side? Why would anyone do that?

I'm done explaining to amateurs and millennials the benefits associated.

Last edited by tigerscowboy; 10-14-2018 at 11:38 PM.
tigerscowboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:36 PM   #61
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

Gotta love the realtors coming in a getting so ****** and defensive. No different than people posting question about best truck deals etc.

Thanks to Bobby though who answered in the post in a constructive manner instead of blowing up defensively and also shot me a pm. When we get ready to list I’ll give ya a call

To Sleepy, I didn’t think it was bashing or attacking realtors at all, but as always TBH ruffles feathers!
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-14-2018, 11:45 PM   #62
Sleepy
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerscowboy View Post
Some will never understand marketing, exposure to the market, and working for your sale.

That will never change.

Commit 3% of profit to another 8 to 15% on your side? Why would anyone do that?

I'm done explaining to amateurs and millennials the benefits associated.
Not that I am, but what does being an amateur or millennial have anything to do with wanting to save money?

If you were selling and had a buyer without a realtor, would you go hire one anyway? I wouldn't think so. I know my chances of a quick transaction are slower without a realtor, but its the route I chose and I still have a chance at making a deal without the associated fees.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:10 AM   #63
brents45
Eight Point

Hunt In: east texas, hill country

Creekview Realty-Flat Fee MLS Realtor. Closed on our house 30 days after sticking the MLS sign in the ground. Paid CVR a flat fee. The buyers realtor commission, if they have one, is negotiable. Saved thousands.
brents45 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:25 AM   #64
stx
Four Point

Jumping over dollars to pick up dimes.
stx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:37 AM   #65
Austin
Ten Point

For starters I am not a realtor and don’t pretend to be but I know there are a lot of realtors knocking back closer to 50k a year than 250k. They all have expenses overhead insurance have to(should be) funding a retirement etc.

Here is why I use a realtor as a seller.

1) knowledge of local markets insure I am not leaving money on the table by under valuing my home.
2) my time is valuable, I know what I can make at my day job and would rather be there working then dealing with meeting buyers to show my house, etc.
3) carry costs, each month it takes to sell a house costs me money. Another months mortgage payment another months tax accrual, another months maintenance and utilities.

All of these get factored into my decision. Yes I could FSBO, yes I know where to get the forms and how to fill them out but for me in every sale I have done a good realtor and I always use good realtors make me more than they let me
Austin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 08:56 AM   #66
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
Why don't the whiners just become realtors since it's such easy $$$$ & get their Lic?? It's free, easy to pass, no annual dues, free health ins, Matching 401K & all other sorts of goodies!! Can't believe there aren't more TBH realtor supporting members!!

Hate these ignorant go get the pitchfork realtor threads.
And all you do it post the house on the network and buyers line up! LOL

There are pro's and con's..

If you do not know exactly what your property is worth you better get a realtor. If you do know, you may not know LOL. But if you do AND have time to wait then go for it.

I think a lot of realtor bashing comes because there are lots of rally bad realtors out there. Lots who simply post the home for sale online and do nothing else.

A good realtor is worth it.
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 08:59 AM   #67
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertramBass View Post
LOL Who's the whiner???

Don't like the thread, don't open it and post. Simple. Just like I don't open the high fence or Christianity threads...
I'll start a thread. Christian realtor crossbow HF group hunt!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:12 AM   #68
double bogey
Ten Point

Hunt In: where ever I can

Quote:
Funny thing to me is realtors make 6% split between buyers and sellers agent plus two brokers getting a small cut of that plus expenses. Not sure of too many business that operate on 3% margins

And realtors don't operate on 3% margin either. Margin would be sales vs costs. 100k house, 3k for realtor. The 3k is the realtors sales. Costs are what he spent operating his business. Wont add up to a 3% margin, will be much higher. 3% would be if he invested 97k, and sold for 100k (and to be picky, my numbers aren't exactly right, but you get the picture). And yes, hard to operate a business at that margin, although some probably do. Mine seems like it does sometimes.
double bogey is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:20 AM   #69
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance Love View Post
Some see the value of hiring a Realtor, some don't. Keep in mind that 6% is usually split, 3 and 3. Knock out about 25-30% for taxes, some for various association dues, marketing/advertising, photography, sponsorships, fuel (ranch guys can burn a lot of fuel!), equipment upkeep, a little for retirement, insurance on everything, health insurance, ECT, ECT. It costs a lot to do what we do. It can be a high-risk-high-reward deal for sure. Oh ya, and when we take on a seller or buyer as a client, we do everything in the HOPES of getting paid...it's not guaranteed. How many of y'all are willing to work for someone for months and risk not getting paid a dime, and worse--actually losing $$?
Great write up and so true..wife was realtor for 20+y..I worked in Chem pl Operator/analyzer tec...I was always High overtime man...I always made more money...and less hours than She..her phone seemed to never stop..and everyone wants to SEE/LOOKIE after there work and on W/E..Its not a Piece of Cake
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:23 AM   #70
mmoses
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasRough1256 View Post
We just bought a home and used a set fee realtor, 5k flat fee vs the standard 6%... saved us a few thousand.
you paid your realtor when buying a house?
mmoses is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:24 AM   #71
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertramBass View Post
Add the 6% fee to the price of the house.
This is idiotic. I had a realtor tell me this once and I just laughed and told them they wouldn't be getting the listing. The home should sell at the highest price the market will pay. Period.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:28 AM   #72
tdwinklr
Eight Point

Hunt In: N. Central and N. East TX

Quote:
We just bought a home and used a set fee realtor, 5k flat fee vs the standard 6%... saved us a few thousand.
I like that idea better. Everything's negotiable.
tdwinklr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 09:41 AM   #73
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleepy View Post
Anybody that smarts off to me gets put on the blacklist for never receiving my screenshot of Ragin's TBH exit!
Old 10-15-2018, 09:47 AM   #74
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:
A set fee buyers agent? Please explain? Was there a listing agent involved?
Birddog66 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:09 AM   #75
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throwin' Darts View Post
This is idiotic. I had a realtor tell me this once and I just laughed and told them they wouldn't be getting the listing. The home should sell at the highest price the market will pay. Period.

Looking at it from a business perspective, why wouldn't you add the 6% cost to the price? You don't think that all businesses don't have the cost of sales and marketing factored into their product's price? They do. No different in this situation.
ecallarman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:22 AM   #76
417scott
Spike

Quote:
To be clear, I'm not bashing realtors. The 3% is not margin, it's sales revenue. The simplified margin for each deal would be profit/sales revenue. Profit is revenue minus costs. The actual margin may be more or less.

I think where people get upset with realtor fees is they don't understand the cost side and therefore assume most of the fee is profit. For lazy realtors this is possibly true, but I'm also willing to bet the lazy realtors don't facilitate many deals. Long story short, my belief is good hard working realtors are worth their fee, crappy lazy realtors are an unnecessary expense.
417scott is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:28 AM   #77
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
So you have a house with market value of $250k and that is what you want for it. Agent comes in and they tell you they would put the listing at $270k so you end up with the amount you expected to get after fees etc etc. They actually sell the house for that and you come out with $250k in your pocket. Yeah that is so idiotic.

No different than retail consignment. I supply chandeliers for local business. Tell them what I want and they raise the price of the item to whatever they think it's value plus their time dealing with it. Some sell fast some sit for months. I sit back and get paid not once having to deal with a customer, advertising, or anything. I don't care if they raise the price 100%. I'm happy to get what I need/expect out of the item.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:29 AM   #78
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecallarman View Post
Looking at it from a business perspective, why wouldn't you add the 6% cost to the price? You don't think that all businesses don't have the cost of sales and marketing factored into their product's price? They do. No different in this situation.
You own a home (or anything). You probably should try to sell it for what it's worth since it's your money.

If the house will sell for 200k then you sell it for 200k. You can't just add 6% and someone will magically pay 212k for it.

And if someone does pay 212k for the house that 12k is still YOUR money from YOUR investment that you risked in the housing market.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:32 AM   #79
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
So you have a house with market value of $250k and that is what you want for it. Agent comes in and they tell you they would put the listing at $270k so you end up with the amount you expected to get after fees etc etc. They actually sell the house for that and you come out with $250k in your pocket. Yeah that is so idiotic.

No different than retail consignment. I supply chandeliers for local business. Tell them what I want and they raise the price of the item to whatever they think it's value plus their time dealing with it. Some sell fast some sit for months. I sit back and get paid not once having to deal with a customer, advertising, or anything. I don't care if they raise the price 100%. I'm happy to get what I need/expect out of the item.
In that case the idiot is the one wanting 250k for a house worth 270k

To be clear I'm 50/50 on the realtor worth it or not debate. I know they are worth it when the sale is complicated or for a niche market to find the right buyer. But for an average home I think anyone should be able to list their home on the MLS system and then a realtor wouldn't be a lot of help. But since one can't list on the MLS they probably need a realtor. And if you get one you better get a good one.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #80
jer_james
Pope & Young

I have seen advertising for a flat fee listing agent.

I believe market should be taken into consideration. My last house sold in 24 hours. I really didnt need the realtor in this area, at that time.

Have a good friend at work who tried selling his house without a realtor, and it didnt work. He lived in a completely different area. Hired a realtor and it was sold in 2 1/2 weeks.

A good realtor is worth their weight, but also know the market you are in, and you will see trends easily that will help you make your decision.

Last edited by jer_james; 10-15-2018 at 10:53 AM.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:42 AM   #81
Throwin Darts
Pope & Young

Quote:

Man on man, you must have slept through Econ 101.

If the market value of the house is $250k then the market will bear a price of $250k. If the market will pay a price of $270k then the market value of the house is $270k, not $250k, and it should be sold for $270k. What happens at closing in regards to fees and who gets what has no bearing on the market value of the house.

An asset should be sold for the maximum price the market will bear. If the market will pay a price of $270k for the home that's the price it should sell for with or without a realtor fee, title fee, or any other fee you can dream of.

Same goes for your chandeliers. If the market will bear the price that that the consignment shop is charging then the consignment shop's price is the market price.

You're confusing market value with seller complacency in regards to price.
Throwin Darts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 10:43 AM   #82
Birddog66
Ten Point

Quote:

Well, it sounds like the market value was actually 270k. What if the market value is 250k and you were sitting there unable to sell at 250k in a competitive market. Would you be willing to list at 250k and pay commis?
Old 10-15-2018, 10:50 AM   #83
Birddog66
Ten Point

Throwin' Darts is making a very valid point, most of the time it's not as easy as simply adding 6% to what the seller want's for the house. Most of the time, sellers want more than the property is worth. You hire a Realtor to make as much as the market will bare at that given time in history.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:04 AM   #84
JHT
Pope & Young

Quote:
Man on man, you must have slept through Econ 101.

If the market value of the house is $250k then the market will bear a price of $250k. If the market will pay a price of $270k then the market value of the house is $270k, not $250k, and it should be sold for $270k. What happens at closing in regards to fees and who gets what has no bearing on the market value of the house.

An asset should be sold for the maximum price the market will bear. If the market will pay a price of $270k for the home that's the price it should sell for with or without a realtor fee, title fee, or any other fee you can dream of.

Same goes for your chandeliers. If the market will bear the price that that the consignment shop is charging then the consignment shop's price is the market price.

You're confusing market value with seller complacency in regards to price.
I can agree with what you have said but you are leaving out the motivations of the buyer and seller of any thing bought or sold.
JHT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:13 AM   #85
txtrophy85
Ten Point

Hunt In: zavala county/pecos county

my wife is a residential realtor. She loves FSBO because a lot of the time she is able to list their homes and sell them after they were sitting on the market with no activity. This does not apply to everybody, but the vast majority of homeowners are not capable of marketing the property to the same level as a realtor. They also won't have access to the same comp data. Zillow and Trulia are so far off on their numbers its laughable.

not to mention, a experienced realtor helps to negotiate things such as option periods, after inspection repairs, etc. Finding a Buyer is only part of the transaction.

Its also a proven fact that properties listed by realtors bring a higher price than FSBO's.

A person who has sold 3 or 4 houses on there own is not an expert. A good realtor will sometimes do that in a week. A person who has FSBO'd a handful of property is not in the same league as an agent who does 50+ transactions a year. Not even close in terms of experience.

Real estate agents are like Attorneys. There are a lot of bad ones. But the good ones are worth their fee, every single time
txtrophy85 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:44 AM   #86
Chad C
Pope & Young

I have a working relationship with our realtor which helps, but the realtors on the other end become the problem or not because they work for a living as well.... There's no incentive unless they are getting atleast 3% of the sale to show your listing to their client.
Chad C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:45 AM   #87
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

So the people who say a realtor sold their home in 24-48 hours..... Do you think you got fair market value? You would have to assume the realtor found the person willing to pay the most (out of a huge pool of buyers) in 24-48 hours. I would assume they left lots of money on the table.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #88
hooligan
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Foard Co.

so why is it standard for the seller to pay the 3% for the buyers agent? They haven't done near the work that the selling agent does?
hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 11:46 AM   #89
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRat1 View Post
So the people who say a realtor sold their home in 24-48 hours..... Do you think you got fair market value? You would have to assume the realtor found the person willing to pay the most (out of a huge pool of buyers) in 24-48 hours. I would assume they left lots of money on the table.
Everytime I've sold something this quick, it was typically a cash buyer and I had multiple offers on the table over asking price.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:56 AM   #90
MagicBlade
Eight Point

Hunt In: Archer County Texas

Thoughts .... I've sold my last two houses by FSBO!

Used a company to list it on MLS with pics for $400!
Wouldn't provide a tour to anyone unless they had a letter from a bank with a loan approval for our selling price.
Patience is a must! Who can sell your house or property better than the person who owns it? ONLY YOU!
If you don't have the time and patience to deal with what you call as tire kickers ..... then hire a REALTOR!
Good Luck!
MagicBlade is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:00 PM   #91
ecallarman
Ten Point

Quote:
You own a home (or anything). You probably should try to sell it for what it's worth since it's your money.

If the house will sell for 200k then you sell it for 200k. You can't just add 6% and someone will magically pay 212k for it.

And if someone does pay 212k for the house that 12k is still YOUR money from YOUR investment that you risked in the housing market.
What "it is worth" is what someone is willing to pay you the seller. The MARKET is actually is not some independent thing. The Market is actually made up of the buyers and sellers. If the market value of my home is $200k and I add $12k to cover realtor fees and someone agrees to pay me $212k, that is the market for my house. Supply and demand.

Last edited by ecallarman; 10-15-2018 at 12:07 PM.
ecallarman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:01 PM   #92
BrianL
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Lamar and Dickens

As the value of the property increases, I tend to find ways to do it myself. I'll pay up to about 12000.00 and feel like I get my monies worth, but when it starts commision start being $20-60K+ I just don't see that much value and will sale myself.
BrianL is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #93
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Our realtor we buy houses and the ranch through charges 2-4% and is a great guy. He does his work. Also he gives great kickbacks. So far a Yeti cooler and is now a suppressor for my rifle. Good ones are hard to find. I tried using a "site sponsor" but they brushed me off because I wouldn't sign some paper or something retarded but anyhow I can see why they take a lot of risk but the reward can be great as well. I will always use a realtor.
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:11 PM   #94
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad C View Post
Everytime I've sold something this quick, it was typically a cash buyer and I had multiple offers on the table over asking price.
So was your asking price way too low? That's the question
Old 10-15-2018, 12:12 PM   #95
wingnut
Six Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County & SE Oklahoma

I've had good experiences with selling with and without a realtor. I think it really just depends on how good of property you have for sell and how it is priced. I've had realtors tell me we need to drop the price because we haven't had a solid offer. I asked by how much they said $10,000 I said no way and two days later get an offer and have a contract. Might have been just lucky but realtors don't get paid unless you the property sells. Sometimes they can be a little pushy to get it sold. I'm sure there is examples both ways. If it was me I'd add the 6% into the price and only list it with a realtor for 3months instead of the typical 6 months. With the internet lots of folks are looking at the properties.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:17 PM   #96
Antlers86
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecallarman View Post
What "it is worth" is what someone is willing to pay you the seller. The MARKET is actually is not some independent thing. The Market is actually made up of the buyers and sellers. If the market value of my home is $200k and I add $12k to cover realtor fees and someone agrees to pay me $212k, that is the market for my house. Supply and demand.
Exactly my point as well. Every house shape, material, property, layout, location are different. Some people will pay more for something if they really want it.
Old 10-15-2018, 12:19 PM   #97
wingnut
Six Point

Hunt In: Hopkins County & SE Oklahoma

Quote:
I think that your statement might not be totally correct. I think the really good realtors have enough customers that are looking for properties. When something is going to come on the market they already have buyers that want that property before it hits the market. The reason I say that is because I have bought a property like that before. Realtor called me and said I have just what you r looking for. Next day I went and looked at it with realtor and signed a contract that day. Had it appraisaled and it was a good price for the seller and good price for me. It didn't even make it to the market.
wingnut is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:22 PM   #98
CaptainDave
Ten Point

Throw me in the boat with the ones saying a good realtor is worth their weight.

We wouldn't be in the house we are in right now without a realtor. We were able to see the house before it even got listed because our realtor happened to know the sellers from a previous transaction.

No question, our realtor kept the ball rolling and pushed the mortgage Company to get us to close. He provided references for inspectors, contractors and even had multiple LO contacts if necessary. The process was fluid.

Sure, some of it is market depending, but make no mistake, if you are FSBO, no question, you will get way less exposure to the open market. Not worth the effort if you ask me. As a seller, 6% sucks, but you probably will make up much of that with - higher sales price, combined with faster turnover. Sounds like the OP isn't in a rush to sell. However, some sellers don't have that luxury. I don't know how many of you have owned two homes at once, but it gets expensive fast.

Last edited by CaptainDave; 10-15-2018 at 12:27 PM.
CaptainDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:26 PM   #99
TeamAmerica
Ten Point

Hunt In: Corsicana (Navarro County)

#1 - make sure it listed on MLS (don't have to have an agent to get this done).
#2 - you almost will never get out of paying the buying agent 3%. they probably only get half that. they will not be showing your property to their buyers.
TeamAmerica is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-15-2018, 12:27 PM   #100
Chad C
Pope & Young

Quote:
So was your asking price way too low? That's the question
No, I always have her do a market study for the area, pull comps and then we come up with a price. I never shoot for below market and have no problem spending $400 for an appraisel.

In the end, it's worth whatever a person is willing to pay for it, especially when it comes to cash!

If you sale to someone who needs to mortage the property, It's only going to sale for the appraised value that comes in and in the end, it could come in higher or lower than the signed contract..

Last edited by Chad C; 10-15-2018 at 12:36 PM.