Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 12-06-2018, 10:51 AM   #1
Royal21973
Eight Point

Hunt In: Deep South Texas and will travel
Default Rattlesnake Ranch Record

This rattlesnake had 16 rattlers buttons. It was 5 1/2 foot long and was the thinnest rattlesnake I have see for its size.

Be careful out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Royal21973 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:53 AM   #2
BlackHogDown
Ten Point

Hunt In: Duval County, Livingston

Interesting
BlackHogDown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #3
splitfinger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Behind the House

That dude would make the hair on the back of your head stand up. Wowsers..
splitfinger is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:05 AM   #4
MrBlueRiver
Spike

Hunt In: Wherever

Nice set or rattles you found there
MrBlueRiver is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
Crazy Horse
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kerr & Lavaca County

wow!
Crazy Horse is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:24 AM   #6
Dillakilla
Eight Point

Hunt In: Comanche County

No thank you
Dillakilla is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:27 AM   #7
Thwackdaddy
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lometa By God Texas

Killed one at the lease late this past summer. It had 9 rattles and a button that was SKINNY!!!
I mean not much bigger than a fat cigar and he was about 4.5' long
Thwackdaddy is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:29 AM   #8
diamond10x
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kinney and Bexar counties

Good set of rattles right there!
diamond10x is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:34 AM   #9
MASTERS
Ten Point

Hunt In: In the brush....

nice one!
MASTERS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:38 AM   #10
Flint knapper
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young/Archer Co.

He was so old, he didn't have any teeth! LOL
Flint knapper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:41 PM   #11
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

I was excited when I clicked on the thread. I thought it may be a pic of a deer I was sent a week ago. Oh well
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:42 PM   #12
TxAg15SCSC
Nubbin' Buck

Wow!!!
TxAg15SCSC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 12:43 PM   #13
bowhunt3
Ten Point

Hunt In: Medina County, Bandera County

Awesome
bowhunt3 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 02:24 PM   #14
okrattler
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

Some of the bigger snakes I've seen were actually fairly skinny for their size. That's not always the case though. The biggest I've seen personally was 82" long and bigger around than two beer cans layed side by side. He had 20 rattles and a button.
okrattler is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #15
Lonestar_HOYT
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mills County

Killed one almost identical to that several years ago. Had 16 rattles and was 63 inches long. Was having him mounted and taxi moved away with no notice, took my snake and my deposit.
Lonestar_HOYT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #16
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

I wonder why it's so thin. I mean as old as it is it must have figured out how to keep fed a long time ago.

Richard.
Junkers88 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:15 PM   #17
okrattler
Pope & Young

Could have just been a rough year for him. A snake can go a year without eating. Crawling on your belly and just waiting on food to walk by would be a pretty hard way to make a living. Think of it like bowhuntin. When you're in that blind or deer stand you're capable of killing anything that walks by. But not everything is gonna walk within range. Snakes deal with that all day,every day,all of their lives. Like 'em or hate 'em they're true survivors. It's hard not to respect a critter like that.

Snakes can get obese just like people can. If he ate two rats a week he'd be pretty chunky.

Last edited by okrattler; 12-06-2018 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-06-2018, 09:35 PM   #18
Junkers88
Ten Point

Hunt In: searching

Quote:
Originally Posted by okrattler View Post
Could have just been a rough year for him. A snake can go a year without eating. Crawling on your belly and just waiting on food to walk by would be a pretty hard way to make a living. Think of it like bowhuntin. When you're in that blind or deer stand you're capable of killing anything that walks by. But not everything is gonna walk within range. Snakes deal with that all day,every day,all of their lives. Like 'em or hate 'em they're true survivors. It's hard not to respect a critter like that.

Snakes can get obese just like people can. If he ate two rats a week he'd be pretty chunky.
I didn't know they could go that long without eating. Our Bearded Dragons can go a couple weeks but it begins to worry me. Heck I wish I could go without eating for a few weeks myself, might be able to see my feet without a mirror.

Richard
Junkers88 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 09:42 PM   #19
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:

A whole year?! Thatís wild
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 10:30 PM   #20
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawhunter View Post
A whole year?! Thatís wild
I've read studies where they've been known to live longer than that in some cases. It's not likely that a snake would ever have to go that long without eating but it's definitely possible for them to go without food for a year. I don't remember the exact science behind it now but I'm pretty sure their metabolism has a lot to do with it. During the Winter they don't eat anyways since their metabolism slows down so much that they stop eating before they den up because food would rot in their stomach and they would become septic basically.
Old 12-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #21
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkers88 View Post
I didn't know they could go that long without eating. Our Bearded Dragons can go a couple weeks but it begins to worry me. Heck I wish I could go without eating for a few weeks myself, might be able to see my feet without a mirror.

Richard
I'm not 100% sure but I think lizards probably have to eat more often. I'd guess a few months or so would be about tops for a Bearded Dragon. I could be wrong about that but I'm sure the conditions they're used to,how active they are and the over all health of the lizard probably plays a part in that. I've never really thought about it before but I assume lizards may be a little different.
Old 12-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #22
Lawhunter
Ten Point

Quote:
I've read studies where they've been known to live longer than that in some cases. It's not likely that a snake would ever have to go that long without eating but it's definitely possible for them to go without food for a year. I don't remember the exact science behind it now but I'm pretty sure their metabolism has a lot to do with it. During the Winter they don't eat anyways since their metabolism slows down so much that they stop eating before they den up because food would rot in their stomach and they would become septic basically.
I learn something new everyday. I had no idea.
Lawhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-06-2018, 11:40 PM   #23
Encinal
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Spite of Wife's Complaints

9 year old.
Encinal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 12:13 AM   #24
Worksalot
Ten Point

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Some of the bigger snakes I've seen were actually fairly skinny for their size. That's not always the case though. The biggest I've seen personally was 82" long and bigger around than two beer cans layed side by side. He had 20 rattles and a button.
My dad and his brother would regularly hunt an area where an old petroleum pipeline crossed. There was an area where the grass never grew back on the sandy, red clay soil above the pipe. Dad said he had seen and killed plenty of rattlesnakes out in that area. But there was one humongous snake that left a wide trail when it crossed the pipeline. They tried to find it but never could. It was assumed that it was most likely a big rattlesnake.

Edit: My uncle mentioned it again recently how he wished they would someday find it and get to see it up close. He said it was definitely a snake that was leaving that wide trail.

Last edited by Worksalot; 12-07-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Worksalot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-07-2018, 01:21 AM   #25
okrattler
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worksalot View Post
My dad and his brother would regularly hunt an area where an old petroleum pipeline crossed. There was an area where the grass never grew back on the sandy, red clay soil above the pipe. Dad said he had seen and killed plenty of rattlesnakes out in that area. But there was one humongous snake that left a wide trail when it crossed the pipeline. They tried to find it but never could. It was assumed that it was most likely a big rattlesnake.

Edit: My uncle mentioned it again recently how he wished they would someday find it and get to see it up close. He said it was definitely a snake that was leaving that wide trail.
Very well could have been a big rattlesnake. A few of my buddies catch snakes in deep South Texas and they find some that are massive. They held the record in Oklahoma for a long time. It measured 88" long and that snake wasn't even stretched out to get a good measurement. It would have beat the world record of 92 1/2" if it would have been. There's some big son of a guns out there.

The further North you get up into Texas and Oklahoma you can definitely tell a difference in size of the rattlesnakes than those found further South and believe it or not I can tell where a snake is caught just by looking at the coloration. Those South Texas snakes look different than the ones up here in Oklahoma.