IYO, Is college worth it !?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IYO, Is college worth it !?

I’ve been thinking a lot lately about the state of our educational system, and quite frankly, it makes me sad and a little angry. I wanted to get the green screens opinion on whether or not you guys feel that college is worth it, in today’s society. Now I recognize that there are doctors and lawyers among us, and your education was certainly necessary and worth it. But I see an increasing number of people being successful without college education, and I truly believe that when the time comes I’m not going to push college on my children. FYI, we have four kids under the age of seven, so we have a while. But assuming There aren’t big changes to the educational system, I really don’t feel that I’m going to make my kids go to college if they want to pursue trades or other opportunities. If you haven’t, do some research on the rising cost of a college education. It’s eye-opening to say the least. All this said, I have a few questions for you guys.

A: what is your highest level of education?

B: For those of you with degrees, do you directly use your degree in your field?

C: given your income vs college debt (if any), or the overall expense in general, was your time in college worth it in the big picture ?

Mine
    A- associates in instrumentation/electric
    B- nope! In a sales role with the same company for 8 years now.
    C- no debt, but put myself through college. It would be nice to have some of that money back.

2 bachelors
    Yes
    Worth every penny and will be retiring soon.

Comment

Originally posted by gonzaleziam View Post
      2 bachelors
      Yes
      Worth every penny and will be retiring soon.
      Congrats!
      I do recognize there are professions where this will be the general consensus.

Comment

AAS in electronics engineering and it was worth it for me. But I only spent about $8K for mine. It has paid off many times over.

Comment

If they go into the correct field, definitely yes. Art history degree, no.

Comment

Originally posted by oktx View Post
            If they go into the correct field, definitely yes. Art history degree, no.
            Very true. Ha.

Comment

Bachelors and you absolutely will not get hired or move up without one
              Everyday
              I have a little debt but I’ve only been out for a year. Don’t have near as much as other as I did most of my classes at a dirt cheap community college

Comment

I would say yes. I mean no disrepect with this so please don't think that. If you live in a small city then a college education may not mean that much. if you plan on staying on the farm, ranch, etc. then i wouldn't pay for that education. However if you live in a metropolitan area and plan on having a job that isn't limited to time then the answer is yes.

Let me explain what i mean by limited by time. Almost anyone can find an hourly job, depending upon your skill level or Education you can earn more money per hour. But generally unless you have are education or a very unique skill or trade you can only earn up to a certain amount of money per hour. I don't know the exact numbers but welder, mechanics, etc. make between 15 to 70 dollars per hour. But they are generally limited to time. 70 dollars an hour is great but if you only work 30 hours per week it isn't as good as it sounds. or you can make 40 dollars per hour but get to work as much over time you want then you can make a lot of money, but you are actually working two jobs.

What an education gives you is the ability to make more money that isn't limited by time. I know many people that make 300k plus per year and some months they work harder than other months. But they still make the same amount of money regardless.

You then say that i can make that without an education, and that is totally true. My aunt that makes 600k plus per year doesn't have an education out side of high school but she worked her butt off as a business owner. So it can be done. But if you plan on working for a large company most will not hire you without a degree. I know it sucks but that's the truth.

As for sales, i have been in sales for 25 years and unless is it a lower end for of sales you will not get hired without a degree. I don't mean to knock certain sales but there are different degrees of sales people. Again if the company is a large company they probably will not hire you unless you have a degree.

I think as a parent we need to push our kids to get a degree. But getting one doesn't mean that they will make more money, what it does is gives them the bases to have logical thinking versus emotional thinking.

Comment

College is worth it, but not for the masses. The notion that everyone should go to college needs to stop. College is quickly reaching a tipping point where it’s cost is rising exponentially higher than wage increases.

Having said that you can do yourself a huge favor and not finance EVERY book, laptop, iPad and spring break with student loans.

Some college
                  No debt
                  20% higher income than my bachelor degree & licensed wife
                  30% higher earning than the average American

I admit I may be the exception not the rule

Comment

Originally posted by Easttxbowman View Post
                    Bachelors and you absolutely will not get hired or move up without one
                    Everyday
                    I have a little debt but I’ve only been out for a year. Don’t have near as much as other as I did most of my classes at a dirt cheap community college
                    Lol

Comment

Bachelors and Masters in business here. Don't use em one bit. However, this topic seems to come up a lot I always tell people that if the desired profession requires the degree then, of course, it helps. If you want to be a doctor, lawyer, accountant, etc. you'll need it. A marketing degree is about at useful as a left-handed basket weaving degree IMOP and that's what my undergrad is in. I think the trade schools are awesome if the person has some entrepreneurial spirit and likes electrical, plumbing, welding, etc. as I have multiple friends in all of those trades and the ones that manage their business correctly do quite well. All in all, I do think some type of continuing education does pay off as long as it's thought out and used as opposed to getting the easiest degree just to say you have one.

Comment

I have an assosiate's degree in applied science...
                        I don't use it in my current employment...
                        Debt was minimal and I would do it again if I had the opportunity. I would just study something different...

IMHO college is not for everyone and is certainly not necessary to be successful. Obviously, there are careers that can not be achieved/performed without a degree. I don't have kids but if I did, I certainly would not force them to go to a college/university... Some peeps are driving the "you need a college degree" narrative to line their pockets.

Comment

A: BSEE
                          B: Yes, everyday
                          C: Yes

Comment

I have a degree in civil engineering. I was lucky enough through savings (stock show money, parents saving, etc) and summer work to not have any debt when I graduated. I don't necessarily use what I learned every day but my degree is/was a prerequisite for getting my job, license, etc.

With all of that said, I think college is worth it IF you go to college with a job/career in mind. That would include a lot of things like engineering, dr, lawyer, finance (banker), etc. I do agree with oktx that an arts degree is not worth the money. I have 2 kids (10 & 13) and college is an expectation but I also talk to them about trades and want them to work summer jobs in high school with a plumber, electrician, mechanic, etc. If they want to go into 1 of those trades i won't stop them but would want them to consider some supplementary education that would help with starting their own business, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysinshorts View Post
                              I would say yes. I mean no disrepect with this so please don't think that. If you live in a small city then a college education may not mean that much. if you plan on staying on the farm, ranch, etc. then i wouldn't pay for that education. However if you live in a metropolitan area and plan on having a job that isn't limited to time then the answer is yes.

Let me explain what i mean by limited by time. Almost anyone can find an hourly job, depending upon your skill level or Education you can earn more money per hour. But generally unless you have are education or a very unique skill or trade you can only earn up to a certain amount of money per hour. I don't know the exact numbers but welder, mechanics, etc. make between 15 to 70 dollars per hour. But they are generally limited to time. 70 dollars an hour is great but if you only work 30 hours per week it isn't as good as it sounds. or you can make 40 dollars per hour but get to work as much over time you want then you can make a lot of money, but you are actually working two jobs.

What an education gives you is the ability to make more money that isn't limited by time. I know many people that make 300k plus per year and some months they work harder than other months. But they still make the same amount of money regardless.

You then say that i can make that without an education, and that is totally true. My aunt that makes 600k plus per year doesn't have an education out side of high school but she worked her butt off as a business owner. So it can be done. But if you plan on working for a large company most will not hire you without a degree. I know it sucks but that's the truth.

As for sales, i have been in sales for 25 years and unless is it a lower end for of sales you will not get hired without a degree. I don't mean to knock certain sales but there are different degrees of sales people. Again if the company is a large company they probably will not hire you unless you have a degree.

I think as a parent we need to push our kids to get a degree. But getting one doesn't mean that they will make more money, what it does is gives them the bases to have logical thinking versus emotional thinking.

I do agree with most of what you said. While some large companies may require degrees, I work for a large company and worked my way up from the bottom. More and more though it seems people are reluctant to do this. It seems as though nowadays everyone wants to hire in at the top. However, I do see where a college education in Regards to the sales world could be advantageous, or even an absolute necessity, If the plan is to hire Into an upper level sales job straight out of college.

Comment

Working...
                              X