Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottom of the 9th Buck

YouTube link

[ame="http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-cjcRN7bWB4"]Water Valley, TX 2020 Season - YouTube[/ame]

I was lucky enough to connect on a deer we started calling, “Casey’s 10.” He has been on the lease 3 years and could be my oldest buck to date.

We started seeing him during the first round of pictures this summer after Brady, a lease member finding his shed this past spring. Casey, another lease member, saw this deer early on and decided to hunt him. With Casey concentrating on this buck, I directed my attention to other deer and to try to locate another mature buck to get after. Casey had numerous run ins with him, but for one reason or another it just never came together.

Headed into the last week of season, Casey let me know he wouldn’t be out any more for the remainder of the season, so even though I was hunting a stand the 10 did not frequent much, he was now on the hit list.

To my surprise first light on Monday morning he was on my hand corn instantly with a slew of other deer, he had read the script perfectly. He was a bull and kept most the other deer pushed off the road corn, as you can see in the video. He wondered around for a while, before getting turned broadside on camera. He actually put his near side leg forward just before the shot and I didn’t catch it before I released the arrow. I saw the Rage tipped Black eagle arrow connect right where I felt I needed to be and abruptly grabbed the camera to try to pin point his exit.

The buck ran 40 yards or so and got wobbly, then as every bowhunter dreams it up, he fell down in sight and on camera. You can’t beat the rush of success after all the work, time, and effort put in to chasing these animals with the stick and string. I thanked our Good lord above for another season of chasing animals with a bow and for a good many other things as I waited to get down.

As I was sitting there waiting, a doe moved in on my road corn and I decided to go ahead and try to put her down also since we still had some doe to hit our goal. I was able to connect on her with a Wasp Jakhammer broadhead and like the saying, “didn’t go 20” she fell not 20 yards or so from me all on camera.

BowHunting is something real special and I try to not ever take it for granted. The good Lord sure blessed me this season with a lot of good memories and lessons learned out in his creation.

Casey’s 10 scored 131 6/8

Thanks for reading.

I attached the link to my YouTube video. The kill is around the 4 minute mark, if you want to skip to that. This was my first video so any pointers or criticism is welcomed!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by TheHammer; 01-04-2021, 09:32 AM.

Great buck and story. I love the pic of the buck and doe together!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats sir.

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Excellent video! I enjoyed it! That slo-mo at 1:57 was incredible! She almost side stepped that arrow with her reaction but she was bleeding like a stuck pig in mid flight. Probably the highest blood trail, you've ever had to follow lol. Great shot on the buck as well. Smack dab in the deadly V and the result shows. Well placed TH.

In making videos you'll probably come across the ADHD type who can't pay attention long enough to enjoy a good video with multiple kill shots and slo-mos like yours, that will say your video is too long. Don't pay attention to them. They want in and out in under 60 seconds so they can go watch a squirrel that caught their attention half way through..... Well done and good shooting!

Comment

Congratulations!!

Bottom of the ninth with two outs. You did good.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Congrats again, brother!! Excellent write up and what an awesome vid!! What a season we had.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  Excellent video! I enjoyed it! That slo-mo at 1:57 was incredible! She almost side stepped that arrow with her reaction but she was bleeding like a stuck pig in mid flight. Probably the highest blood trail, you've ever had to follow lol. Great shot on the buck as well. Smack dab in the deadly V and the result shows. Well placed TH.

In making videos you'll probably come across the ADHD type who can't pay attention long enough to enjoy a good video with multiple kill shots and slo-mos like yours, that will say your video is too long. Don't pay attention to them. They want in and out in under 60 seconds so they can go watch a squirrel that caught their attention half way through..... Well done and good shooting!
                  Thanks on all counts, Smart! I thought to myself after I made it I need to speed it up and shorten the slow mo myself, so that’s definitely something to work on.

I’ve adjusted to shooting more into that V after reading y’all talking about it and make it truly is a game changer.

Comment

One heck of a morning! Congrats

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Heck yeah! Congrats!

Comment

Greatness on all accounts

Comment

Good job nice buck
                            Your right not to take bow hunting for granted
                            I was an avid bow hunter I absolutely loved it age eye sight (diabetes) and bad shoulders made we quit I don’t have anything against cross bows I just don’t want to hunt with them but I do have my grandchildren and I enjoy taking them hunting

Comment

Originally posted by Jzoch View Post
                              Congrats again, brother!! Excellent write up and what an awesome vid!! What a season we had.
                              Thanks Jared. Indeed it was. Thankful to be a part of it.

Comment

Working...
                              X