Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Son-in-law is an EMT, wants to be a paramedic ... best route?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My sil lives out of state. That's not good. I need him (and the wife) to move back to Texas! Problem is he is an EMT and does the driving of the ambulance for a very good company AND THEY WILL PAY FOR HIS EMT SCHOOLING!

That's hard for me to top. Anybody around DFW area do that for their EMTs? Other suggestions?

There are a lot of departments that will pay for EMT to Paramedic. Most fire departments have that option. Good luck to him!

Comment

Medstar Ft. worth

Comment

There are EMT Schools in Texas too, so it's possible to study close to you. And how about distance learning? Taking on-line classes is popular nowadays. Good luck anyway!

Comment

PLENTY of options for paramedic class in Texas. As stated above, most reputable places will pay for you to level up. Does he want fire too or just EMS? Not sure what state he’s in, but did he keep his national registry?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
            Medstar Ft. worth
            This.

Comment

If he kept his national registry up to date it shouldn’t be a problem.

Comment

Brother just retired from Houston Fire. They are always hiring a lot of folks and they will pay him while in training. Once he has some experience he can go anywhere if he does not like HFD.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckshot-73 View Post
                  Medstar Ft. worth

If’n he could get on with Medstar, and gets accepted in their in house medic school, they will pay him to go to school. No shifts, get paid to go to school.

Upon acceptance, he will have to sign a 3 yr. contract, to stay with them. If’n he leaves early, he is responsible for reimbursement of his medic training.

My son graduated less than a year ago, and has already advanced to FTO. Making good money now.

Comment

A lot of Fire Departments will hire Firefighter/EMT and then send them through Paramedic school. That’s the route I took. In the DFW metroplex there is a shortage of Paramedics right now, so a lot of fire departments are hiring FF/EMT right now. Most Departments prior to now required you to have your FF/Paramedic prior to being hired. But as others stated their is several private EMS companies that will send him to medic school. I’m sure most require some time with the organization before they will invest the money on Paramedic school. The best route of all is to just knock out Paramedic school and then you can **** near pick the Fire Dept. where you wanna work.

Comment

As a medic, I would honestly steer him towards an associate degree RN program. Much better pay, lifestyle, and career advancement.

If you enjoy medicine, you get your 911 experience in a busy service and move on to critical care/flight. If you want a good career, good benefits, and potentially a pension, you go to work for a combination firefighting/ems department. If you want to hate life, you go to work for a private ems
                      service.
                      Last edited by TwoHighways; 09-05-2019, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TwoHighways View Post
                        As a medic, I would honestly steer him towards an associate degree RN program. Much better pay, lifestyle, and career advancement.

I couldn’t disagree more. This decision should be made after a few years in this business. I, for one, would put nursing as a close second to bagging groceries, for me. No disrespect to nurses at all, it’s an incredible field, just not for everyone. I worked with several medics that started the translation classes, never to finish after lost interest. Even one I worked with, went back to EMS after a couple years in the ER as and RN. I’m all about the acute care.....that’s it

My $0.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

really good info guys. thanks very much.

there is a still big part of me that wants to be a firefighter when I grow up. I'm 55 so I am thinking this may not happen (my wife would say "the growing up part not the fireman part" LOL) but I envy you guys in what you do. I know it's super hard and dangerous but that looks like one of the greatest jobs ever. and I thank you for your service.

Comment

Cypress Creek EMS in Northwest Houston. I have very close connections to the right people if he'd like to speak with them to get a better idea of the pay and what they offer in the way of training.

Comment

Like everyone else already mentioned, lots of fire depts will hire you as an emt and put you through paramedic school and you get paid while going to school. Thats how i got my paramedic 20 yrs ago.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X