Mountain vacation ideas??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mountain vacation ideas??

My wife and oldest daughter are heading to Hawaii in July to play in a volleyball tournament, so my youngest daughter (13) and I are looking for our own little getaway. We will have a week and my daughter is NOT one to sit still and just relax...she wants to go to the mountains and ride 4 wheelers, do some horseback riding, might even get her to fish a little bit...whitewater rafting is a possibility. Only place I have any real experience is in Creede, CO... What are some good places I should be looking at with lots of activities?? We will be driving as neither of us like to fly...

Thanks for any help you can give!
    Ben

Check out FairPlay/Alma, CO area. Good trout streams and ponds. I can refer you to a horse outfit. Rafting not too far away (maybe an hour). Not certain on 4 wheelers, but I’m sure there is national forest access nearby

Comment

Pagosa Springs and Durango are both great. The white water rafting is probably considered tame by a lot of folks standards.

Lobo Outfitters just outside of Pagosa Springs also has some really nice horseback trips - I think both single day and overnight in a beautiful area between Pagosa and Chama, NM.

Comment

Beaver Creek is very nice. A lot to do in the area. Great float trip fishing.

Comment

Yellowstone

Comment

Originally posted by NelsonV View Post
            Yellowstone
            Yellowstone is a bucket list trip for me...not sure that my daughter would enjoy that as much as me though!ha

Comment

Originally posted by Playa View Post
              Check out FairPlay/Alma, CO area. Good trout streams and ponds. I can refer you to a horse outfit. Rafting not too far away (maybe an hour). Not certain on 4 wheelers, but I’m sure there is national forest access nearby
              Lots of stuff near FairPlay. Good suggestion.

Another good spot, Cuchara, up to Gardner, and Westcliffe. In and around the Sangre de Cristo range. And even a cool trail through to the great sand dunes I think.

Comment

Just got back from Moab UT for spring break with a 6 and 11 year old and had a blast! Great hiking in Arches and Canyonlands NPs, dune buggy off-roading and rock crawling, scenic jet boat ride down the Colorado River and a cool town (believe horseback riding is an option at some of the ranches near town as well). We hit Santa Fe for a night on the drive home and had ridiculous Mexican food.
                Highly recommend!

Comment

Lake Vallecito out side of Durango is a great place. You can either camp or get a cabin and yall can fish and there is a great horse back ride up into the mountains where they feed you breakfast. You can take a short drive into Durango and whitewater raft or drive over to see Mesa Verde.

Comment

We enjoyed Deadwood S.D.

Comment

1-3 day Chama river float trip.
                      1 day at Bandolier National Park for hiking/exploring. Las Alamos for atom bomb history.
                      1 day at Ghost Ranch for horseback riding, hiking etc.
                      1 day jeep tour of a 32 square mile ranch. Lots of artifacts to be found.
                      Base from Santa Fe

Comment

Working...
                      X