Buying Used Boat... Need Advice!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Shane View Post
    If you could find an old Glastron HPV175 that is in good shape, it would fit the bill perfectly and be under your budget. They were great combo boats back in the late 70s/early 80s. I saw one that was really nice a few months ago. Brought back memories.
    Off topic but this brought back great memories for me too. One of our family friends had a hpv175 we fished out of often with a 175 johnson on it, I loved that boat, it was like greased lightning compared to my glastron t-169.

OP I’d look for a used blue wave non tunnel 18 or 22 center console with Yamaha power. I had a 22 when my kids were young that did all you’re wanting to do.

Comment

I really like my 2004 Ranger Reata fish 'n' ski boat w a 150 Yamaha. It is good for bass fishing and it is good for tubing/skiing/cruising for up to 5 people.
      I agree with the recommendation to take the motor to a boat motor mechanic and pay for an evaluation before you buy.
      Used boat prices seem higher than normal right now. If you have to pay 10-20% more than 2 years ago or one year from now, but you get another season of hanging out with your family, it's probably worth it.

Comment

I really think a center console fits the bill well for you. I miss my 20' Xpress Center Console. I was bidding on a G3, but it crept over my maximum. Bid closes Wednesday.
        https://www.crankyape.com/default.as...mNumber=102887

Comment

I always take a compression tester with me when buying used outboards. Compression from what I have always gone by, is no more than 10% difference in the cylinders. Used from a dealer, probably nothing to worry about, but buying from an individual beware.

I'd stick with 4 strokes for full consumption and usually smoother running from experience.

Comment

I don’t know what model it is but I fished with a guide that had a 24 ft G3 with deck on front and back but also had a windshield and 4 seats in the middle. Very comfortable for a crowd

Comment

Some great advice so far. Appreciate it!

Comment

I'd go center console

Comment

Originally posted by gfulton View Post
                  I'd go center console
                  X2 on this Josh

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                    X2 on this Josh
                    x3

Comment

if buying used, make sure the title to boat & motor is in the sellers name. Also make sure you get the seller to complete the TPWD forms and provide you with a bill of sale for boat, motor, and trailer. Ideally they list the price of the trailer separate from the boat & motor on bill of sale. Will save headaches at TPWD & trailer tag office when paying taxes and switching to your name.
                      Last edited by duckmanep; 04-05-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

maybe look at a used ranger reatta? they fish pretty good and ski and haul people around pretty good. Its not the best at either but its pretty darn good at both.

I have a 2000 model ranger bass boat with a johnson 200 on it. It is not a speed demon. It could be with a jack plate, offloading the battery charger, going back to a 24v trolling motor, and getting rid of the talon. Weight is the enemy!!! But who cares about going fast? I will say it starts every time, has literally never given me an issue, and its just a work horse. I regret nothing other than going 36v on the trolling motor.
                        Last edited by Rubberdown; 04-05-2021, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                          if buying used, make sure the title to boat & motor is in the sellers name. Also make sure you get the seller to complete the TPWD forms and provide you will a bill of sale for boat, motor, and trailer. Ideally they list the price of the trailer separate from the boat & motor on bill of sale. Will save headaches at TPWD & trailer tag office when paying taxes and switching to your name.
                          Good call...

If he does not have a title for the hull, back away. Have been through this once and the boat had been through 5 owners from original. No title on motor and trailer you can get by with. No boat title, run....

Comment

Love my wife’s 22ft Pure Bay. Fishes really well with plenty of room. We fish the bay, marsh, jetties and rigs. Last year we started fishing with the High School Bass Club, so we’ve Bass fished out of it with no problems. Also pulled 2,3 and 4 person tubes behind it as well.

Comment

I found an extremely clean 2009 Skeeter SL 180 with a 150HP Yamaha V-Max at local dealer for about $17k. That type of boat looks like it would work and it's not a budget buster.

Also found an extremely nice 2016 Epic 21 SC (totally unfamiliar with this brand) for $30k with an Evinrude E-Tech HC 135HP. Hummingbird Helix 7, Minn Kota Riptide 80LB, Power Pole 8FT, jack plate, leaning post, ladder, rod holders, stainless prop, livewell, etc.... This one is pushing my budget to the max.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-05 143908.png
Views:	1
Size:	562.7 KB
ID:	24648868

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot 2021-04-05 143727.png
Views:	1
Size:	504.2 KB
ID:	24648869
                              Last edited by Pineywoods; 04-05-2021, 02:06 PM.

Comment

Buying Used Boat... Need Advice!

If those 2 were my choices I would buy the epic, but in all honesty would keep looking.

There is a reason those walk thru windshield bass boats aren’t made any longer.

In theory they made since, but didn’t do fishing or skiing great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                                Last edited by Mayhem; 04-05-2021, 01:55 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X