No announcement yet.

Feral Emus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We shot a bunch in Zepher years ago. Tiny breast worthless but hug drumsticks and made good hamburger.

Comment

there where some around lake whitney in the mid 90's when I lived there. Some some around Blum, and some south of the lake.

Comment

Saw one In bandera years ago.

Comment

When I was about 13-14, I went out to my uncle's lease in between Brackettville and Del Rio. It was a low fence property but they had several different types of exotics wandering around on the place, including several groups/flocks/herds of Rhea's, which are similar to emu's. I hunted almost a full week trying to get close enough to kill one of them with my bow. I never was able to make it happen with the bow so one of the last days, I picked up a .243 when I couldn't close the distance to bow range and killed one. I remember it being like a large wild turkey breast. Wish I could still find a picture of me with it.

Comment

I saw one not too long ago but I’ll be darned if I can remember where. North Texas somewhere.
            I had me a little business slaughtering and butchering them for farmers when the market fell apart.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
              Had one at our lake property years ago on Lake Livingston... Everyone in the neighborhood fed it. It became quite tame... loved lettuce and greens of all kinds... The kids loved it... Named it "Big Bird"... Then one day Big Bird just never showed up again... Suckers are big!!
              Where was this on Livingston? There was an emu farm on 980 and Thomas Lake Rd. in the Carolina Cove area when I was a kid.

Comment

Make great jerky.

Comment

We jumped one up years back near Tulia in a milo field hunting pheasants. The dog actually pointed it hiding in a ditch. I am sure that dog still is confused by what happened. All of us stood there looking at each other as it ran away. I wish we had shot it. I cooked a lot of emu meat at Tech in foods lab. The breast was good fried or grilled.

Comment

About 3-4 years ago I saw one in Kimble county near the Cleo area. It was either an Emu or Rhea. It was behind a low woven wire fence it did not run. It might have been a ‘pet’. I’ve heard they can’t get over low fences but not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by ACCURACYINC View Post
                      Where was this on Livingston? There was an emu farm on 980 and Thomas Lake Rd. in the Carolina Cove area when I was a kid.

This was on the north end of the lake close to where the big high-line hits the Trinity County side of the lake. Near the community of Carlisle.

Comment

Many many moons ago we saw a flock in S TX from a top drive. If had drank enough barley pops and squinted just right it was almost like you were hunting velociraptors.

Comment

There are 4 or five near our place in Zephyr. They come and go on a couple different places. Be in the middle of the road sometimes. They will roam several miles in that area.

Comment

there's a thriving population around and north of rocksprings in Edwards county

Comment

A friend of mine worked on the Caddo National Grasslands as a Forest Protection Officer. He and the local Game Warden were checking hunters when they saw a couple of young guys dragging an emu out of the woods along an old two track road.

As they approached, they were excitedly telling the GW about their emu hunt. The GW told them to look behind them, as another emu was trotting down the road following them.

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                                Yes, one tried to kill me. I Almost drove through a barbed wire fence trying to get away. It is scary when of all the things to jump out of a bush in texas and chase you turns out to be an emu.
                                Haa I bet

Comment

Working...
                                X