Truck Transmission Question -- Overheat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Truck Transmission Question -- Overheat

Hoping to get some some feedback from your experiences.

Truck is 2010 F-150 V8

Was traveling back from a hunt yesterday and was towing trailer w/ UTV (which I've done 100s of times). Had a very high headwind and truck in "tow/haul mode"

I noticed it was fighting to tow harder than usual (higher RPM) due to headwind and I was trying to maintain 75 mph speed limit.

All of a sudden "wrench" light came on and truck shut itself off. Pulled over and idled and assessed it. Tranny temp was pegged out. Had some fluid that had splashed undercarriage near transmission. Once the truck was idling the temp came right back down to normal temp. I was going to have it towed in, but I drove to next town and temps were fine. Ended up making it home fine.....and transmission never had another issue but I kept speed around 60-65.

Did I have a boil-over? Is there anything precautionary I should do like change fluid or take into shop?

Right now it is running and shifting smoothly like normal. You feedback is greatly appreciated!

I would change fluid and check for leaks. How many miles since last change or flush. Also you can't always drive 75 just because it is the speed limit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Comment

Most transmission cool thru the radiator. When the engine heats up, the transmission heats up. Unless you've replaced it before, you have a 22 year old radiator. ID put a new one in and service your transmission.

Comment

Tranny temp was too high, had that happen one time where it shot fluid out. I didnt do anything but let it cool down and kept on driving. Never had any issues after that happened

Comment

Originally posted by Joe H View Post
          I would change fluid and check for leaks. How many miles since last change or flush. Also you can't always drive 75 just because it is the speed limit.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
          So go faster?

Comment

Is "tow/haul mode" even necessary with that light of a load?

Comment

I'd do a pan drop filter change on it and call it good.

Comment

If you are over 110,000 miles or so and haven't changed the fluid before, don't drop the pan and change it. The new fluid will wash all the dirt and grime out that is helping hold all the stuff together inside it. Then your tranny will fully go out.

Personally I would check the fluid level, and if low take it to a reputable transmission shop to get their opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Scubasteveo View Post
                  If you are over 110,000 miles or so and haven't changed the fluid before, don't drop the pan and change it. The new fluid will wash all the dirt and grime out that is helping hold all the stuff together inside it. Then your tranny will fully go out.

Personally I would check the fluid level, and if low take it to a reputable transmission shop to get their opinion.
                  Old thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    Old thinking.
                    Yep, changed mine at 178,000 when I got the truck. It was well past overdue. Filter change and top off and I'm at 206,000 now no problems....knock on wood of course

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                      Old thinking.
                      Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
                      Yep, changed mine at 178,000 when I got the truck. It was well past overdue. Filter change and top off and I'm at 206,000 now no problems....knock on wood of course
                      Yea, that isn't the case. I did have the pan dropped for a tranny service back in December and they refilled with fluid and there have been no leaks.

Comment

Originally posted by J.B. View Post
                        Yea, that isn't the case. I did have the pan dropped for a tranny service back in December and they refilled with fluid and there have been no leaks.
                        Well if that's the case I'd start with the cooler/radiator. Dirty maybe? It shouldn't overheat, especially pulling that light of a load. Can you see thru the radiator?

Comment

I'd for sure have the cooling system checked. What's going to happen when the weather gets HOT.

Comment

Jack up the radiator cap and run a new truck underneath it.

Comment

Working...
                            X