Trailer registration conundrum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trailer registration conundrum

So back about 8 years ago I purchased a used trade in gooseneck trailer from a well known local trailer manufacturer. They did my paperwork there and took my tax ID to apply the farm tags. I got the tags and put them on the trailer and even reregistered the trailer a few years.
    Fast forward to today, iv moved to a different county and am trying to change the farm tags to regular tags. This is where it gets good. At the tax office they take my trailer inspection paper which has the trailer Vin number only and proceed to start my tags. Then the guy tells me the trailer is still registered to the previous owner. Apparently the trailer plate number was registered to me but the Vin (which was correct) is still registered to the previous owner who traded it in 8 years ago.

If they told you to go get it released from them say ok then go renew farm tags in old county.......then figure out next move

Comment

I'd go straight down to the reputable trailer place in town and have them register it for you with your new address.

Comment

I did call the trailer place and have them working on it, hopefully hear something back today. I need regular tags now because I'll be using it for business.

Comment

Originally posted by twistedmidnite View Post
          I did call the trailer place and have them working on it, hopefully hear something back today. I need regular tags now because I'll be using it for business.
          Hopefully that works out, definitely the best solution !!

Comment

Update: the tax office has my Vin as a 18 ft utility trailer. I only have two trailers in my name.. a boat trailer and my gooseneck. Big tex screwed up and put me in the registration system with the wrong vin.
            big tex destroys their records after 5 years but they did have original invoice on a computer hard drive. They sent it to me and now the tax office is not taking the invoice after they said they would. I now have to drag the trailer to Tyler for a theft inspection officer to do an inspection. This stuff is bs I tell ya.

Bigtex is just holding their hand up and saying good luck...

Comment

This sounds like Montgomery county. They gave me so much grief over transferring a travel trailer I moved everything else to Fayette county. Took three trips to Montgomery county. Fayette county was one and done.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                This sounds like Montgomery county. They gave me so much grief over transferring a travel trailer I moved everything else to Fayette county. Took three trips to Montgomery county. Fayette county was one and done.
                It's ridiculous man, these people do this stuff every day and still struggle. I try to keep my cool but its hard sometimes. I halfway think they get enjoyment over seeing how many times you'll jump thru the hoop.

Comment

What happens if you start from scratch as a homemade ? Does that work anymore ?

Comment

Originally posted by wellingtontx View Post
                    What happens if you start from scratch as a homemade ? Does that work anymore ?
                    Negative, it's the same road. Have to have a theft task force guy make sure it has no vin...

Comment

Working...
                    X